Trade Where Would You Play Simmons

Discussion in 'Portland Trail Blazers' started by Buffalo Custard, Sep 3, 2021.

?

IF Simmons became a Blazer, what position would you want him to play?

1. PG

5.6%
  2. SG

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. SF

8.3%
  4. PF

41.7%
  5. Center

11.1%
  6. Move him around based on match-up.

33.3%
  1. Buffalo Custard

Buffalo Custard Well-Known Member

I don't expect Simmons to be a Blazer, but I am curious what folks think is his best position. How would you maximize his value given his strengths and limitations?

Last edited: Sep 3, 2021
    dviss1 likes this.
  2. PtldPlatypus

PtldPlatypus Let's go Baby Blazers! Staff Member Global Moderator Moderator

I've said before that I just don't trust Nurk anymore. Ultimately, I'd want to play Ben at center, and deal Nurk for a stretch forward of some sort.

3. Orion Bailey

Orion Bailey Forum Troll

I must have missed it. Why no trust? Injuries? Attitude? Lack of lateral movement?

curious.

4. PtldPlatypus

PtldPlatypus Let's go Baby Blazers! Staff Member Global Moderator Moderator

Here was my post from a couple months ago.

Funny thing is, a lot of those same things could be said about Simmons... :dunno:

5. andalusian

andalusian Season - Restarted

I would play him at PF and if he and Nurk can not coexist, you look for a replacement to Nurk that can play next to him.

6. julius

julius Global Moderator Staff Member Global Moderator

singer songwriter
    SF/PF combo, with "point forward" responsibilities. I.e., not having Dame always bring up the ball, and play Dame/Norm off of him.

RR7 likes this.
  7. dviss1

dviss1 Emcee Referee

Why is Sacramento not a choice? :dunno:

BonesJones and PtldPlatypus like this.
  8. tykendo

tykendo Don't Tread On PDX

Simmons would get eatin' for lunch by the quality centers in the League. Playing him at center would be a fail IMO. He's a PF who can distribute & play defense. And he sure as heck, better get his act in gear when it comes to scoring in key situations. He can't be passing the ball when he can dunk the ball in the post.

calvin natt and Buffalo Custard like this.
  9. dviss1

dviss1 Emcee Referee

He can do that on some other team besides my favorite one.

BonesJones and RickyJoe like this.
  10. Idog1976

Idog1976 Well-Known Member

I look to the stars.
    I’d play Simmons at SF and RoCo at PF to begin with. Id use lots of backdoor cuts, off ball picks so he could slash and of course in the pick and roll with dame. Id also use him as a point forward on the break and then defer to Dame once the defense is set.

I’d also try it out first, but probably look to trade Nurk for Boucher or a similar player, possibly in a 3 team trade. I’d like to have a minimum of 3 good to great 3pt shooters on the floor with Ben at all times. Id also give him 100% of the backup PG minutes and use Nance, RoCo and Little to replace him when he needs rest. On defense I’d simply put him where he’s needed. Simmons would be a revelation for this team on defense and on the break. Im confident he can get to be a 70%+++ ft shooter with the right guidance and Dame is the best leader in sports.

Tbh, I am disturbed by people’s lack of faith in Dame’s ability to judge player’s strengths and weaknesses, and to get the best out of his teammates. Clearly Dame agrees with me on the potential with Simmons, hence he liked that Twitter post. Dame of course is aware his social media is under scrutiny and he is EXTREMELY savvy when it comes to social media. Everyone hating on Simmons is straight up saying they know better than Dame about how Simmons would fit in the team. I find that laughable.

Further, SlyPokerDog and blazerkor like this.
  11. Orion Bailey

Orion Bailey Forum Troll

I think that is because it seems we have seen him be overloyal to players who are known to not work.
    Behind closed doors it may be a different situation but publicly he has backed all his teamates regardless, when its known some of them have had to go.

Idog1976 likes this.
  12. blazerkor

blazerkor Well-Known Member

If I could get all parties to agree, I would do these two trades today... I'm combining them into one for the sake of aesthetic. The rotation would be: Dame, Norm, Nance, Simmons, Boucher, Maxey, Ant, Nas, Zeller, Snell. I would not have Simmons play PG ever... that's not to say he couldn't bring the ball up the court in some sets but he would be a PF/C like Dray.
    upload_2021-9-3_14-11-13.png

13. Idog1976

Idog1976 Well-Known Member

I look to the stars.

Yeah that trade seems to create some log jams, but it solves a LOT of problems. Do you think Maxey over Curry though? We will need shooters and Maxey thus far hasn't seemed to be that. I guess if we are keeping Ant and Nas (I think he will break out as a 3pt threat this year) we are pretty good on shooters.

14. tykendo

Sorry Bro, but you'd destroy team chemistry with those moves, IMO. I'd pass. Plus why would the Raptors do that.

15. Rastapopoulos

Rastapopoulos Well-Known Member

Ballin'
    Personally I would not play him anywhere. I have a feeling he'd kick my ass.

Orion Bailey and SlyPokerDog like this.
  16. blazerkor

I think they'd give us Maxey over Curry. I also like Maxey because he's really good at initiating offense... yes he's a scoring PG but there's no question he's a PG. As far as logjams go... I actually look at that as switchability. There are a lot of players on that roster that can defend multiple positions and do it really well.

17. blazerkor

I guess I overvalue Nurk according to you... they have shooters all around Nurk, they need more ball distributors and they could use a true big. I think Dragic, FVV, OG, Siakam and Nurk is a much better starting lineup than what they currently have. I actually think Nurk given his age, size and abilities is worth more than Boucher, just not to us if we have Simmons.

As far as chemistry goes, I'm kind of sick of hearing that argument. Our current "chemistry" has us exiting the playoffs in the first round.

Idog1976 likes this.
  18. 1 Eye Jack

1 Eye Jack Well-Known Member

Vice President for Display company
    I’d play him as mix of point and SF. Defensively I’d play him on other teams best player unless it’s center, mix in Nance on bigger PF’s.

thinking of this team defensively would be so gooood!!! Powel, Simmons, Roco, Nance, Nurk

Idog1976 likes this.
  19. tykendo

I actually think you value Nurk correctly. I think he will have a Beast season under Billups tutelage. I don't want to trade him at all. Especially for Bouche, who is not a center.

Further likes this.
  20. blazerkor

The dude is 6'10" and 250 lbs. He's strong and quick. He can defend any C in the league and definitely big PFs.

Idog1976 likes this.