Which Gator will make the best pro?

Discussion in 'NBA Draft' started by Courtvision, Jun 23, 2007.

1. Courtvision

Courtvision BBW Member

Which Gator will make the best pro?Jesse Ryans (Courtvision)Al Horford, Corey Brewer, Joakim Noah, and Taurean Green were nearly inseparable in college. And their relationship went far above and beyond the game of basketball. But with the NBA Draft just five days away, they will soon be going their separate ways for the first time since arriving at Gainsville in 2004.With nothing more to prove at the collegiate level, each have signed with an agent and decided to forgo their final year of eligibility at the University of Florida.Horford, Brewer, and Noah are expected to be lottery picks, while Green will likely fall somewhere in the middle of the second round.But which of the "Gator Boys" -- as Joakim Noah would put it -- will have the best NBA career?[​IMG]Taurean Green (11) and Al Horford (42)look on during a game at Kentuckyearlier in the year. Florida won 64-61.Projected by many as the first Gator to be taken in this year's draft, Al Horford possesses not only the tools to make the biggest impact as a Rookie, but to potentially be an All-star big man down the road as well. His long wingspan and uncanny anticipation ability make him an exceptional rebounder and shot blocker, and has been blessed with one of the more NBA ready bodies of his draft class. The only knock on his game is a lack of a low post arsenal, and inability to hit the mid-range jump shot with much consistency. Both of which should improve with time.Although Horford may be quicker to adjust to the level of the NBA than any of his former roommates, he isn't my choice.How about Joakim Noah? A year ago he could have possibly been the number one overall selection, but with a much deeper draft class this time around, his stock has undoubtedly taken a hit. He may never develop into much of an offensive force, but guys like him (ie. Tyson Chandler) have still found a way in this league, and if he can bulk up a bit, he should be an intimidating presence in somebody's frontcourt for years to come.He may be the most quotable, but Noah isn't my choice either.Possibly Taurean Green? The play of his teammates often times overshadowed him, but he was in many ways the backbone to the Florida ball club. He can hit the long range jumper, and has plenty of big game experience under his belt. I don't see him being an above average point guard at this level, but he still may be a solid backup for anybody that is in need of one.He may surprise a few people if he can adapt to the physicality of the NBA, but once again, not my selection either.In case you hadn't already figured it out, my choice is Corey Brewer, the 2007 Final Four's most outstanding player.He could stand to add a few pounds to his skinny frame, but with his long wingspan and quickness, he should, at the very least, "help a team right away defensively." (said Brewer) But with his slashing ability, and solid outside jump shot, there's no reason he won't develop into a reliable scorer at this level as well.He shut down big time scorers like Arron Afflalo (5-14) and Ron Lewis (12 points) in this years NCAA tournament, and is easily the drafts top defensive prospect. He also averaged a career high in points (13.2) and is able to hurt you in many different ways, including on the break, where he is a terrific finisher.I'm not ready to call him the next Scottie Pippen, but Brewer has all the tools he needs to succeed in the NBA.

2. Zards

Zards The People's Champ

I see it being Al Horford. He just has all the tools you want a PF to have, not to mention he knows how to put the ball in the basket and man up defensively. Noah will have a nice career, but he will never be a 'star'. He is going to be a very serviceable big man for many years. I'm not sold on Brewer yet... he has below-average ball handling skills, his perimeter shooting still needs work (don't let his Final Four performance fool you), and on offense, he mainly relies on his athleticsm and length. Taurean Green will be a nice backup guard who can easily take over an offense and distribute the ball amongst his teamates, I still don't know why he's projected to be selected in the middle of the 2nd round.

3. noballer08

noballer08 BBW Elite Member

I definitely think Horford will be the better pro. He's aggressive in the post on both sides of the ball, he has long arms, and is pretty athletic. People love this in power forwards, especially young ones. Like Zards, I'm not completely sold on Brewer and think that most of the hype is from his Final Four/Championship performance. He'll need to add some bulk to really perform well offensively and to keep his defense going. Joakim Noah will be a solid player, much like the athletic, energizing big men such as Anderson Varejao and Chris Andersen, but that will be it. And Taurean Green, I thought it was a mistake for him to enter the draft, but it looks like he may have a late first round spot (albeit in a draft with a deficit at the PG position).

4. Silver Man

Silver Man BBW Member

Though for me it's a close one between Horofrd and Brewer. Both are going to be very good players in the NBA, and will help out whatever team that they go to. Though after seeing both of this players play I think it will go to Corey Brewer. I just see something in him that makes me think; Wow this player will be great in the NBA. Al Horford also looked very good to me and he will have a good career in the NBA. Though for Joakim Noah seeing him play I guess I was missing something that other people show in him because he really wasn't that good. Well, he was good but not a awesome player.

5. BrewCityBuck

BrewCityBuck The guy with 17,000 Posts.

There's nothing in the article thats new or anything I didn't already know....Honestly, it depends on the team they get drafted to, all three are going to be very good. Al Horford looks like the front guy, but I think people are low balling Joakim Noah a little bit.

6. CB4allstar

CB4allstar BBW Global Mod Team

Really nice article man. Great job on that.As for my opinion, I actually agree that Brewer will be the best pro. I think it will be Brewer, Horford, and then Noah...Brewer is an exceptional force on defense with his long wing span and ability to cover players at 3 different positions. He also has a good long range shot, and athletic ability on offense. He is definitely capable of driving the ball. I think he'll be good for 16, maybe 17 or 18 ppg in his prime, but he will also bring exceptional defense. I think he has the most upside out of anyone on the Gators, although I also see some upside in Horford.I think Horford will be an above average defender and rebounder in the NBA, but I don't think he'll be as good offensively as others seem to think. After 3 years in college, I still don't see alot in his post game. I guess he is strong and coordinated, but his jumpshot also isn't that good. I think he'll improve his offensive game, but it will never be "great". I think he'll bring 14 -16 ppg in his prime while getting boards and playing good defense...but overall, I think Corey will be the better player because he will bring some of the best perimeter defense in the league, good offense, and also good rebounding for the SF position.So it's close, but I think Corey will be the most succesful. I really don't see a ton of offensive talent in these guys, and I don't know if any of them will be perennial all stars, but they'll all be smart, savvy, defensive players, and overall winners. I guess that's what 2 NCAA championships will do to you.

7. BrewCityBuck

BrewCityBuck The guy with 17,000 Posts.

Al Horford if he'd been at anyother college, would have put up 20ppg...and his mid-range jumper is really good.

8. TigerTaylor

TigerTaylor BBW Elite Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (BrewCityBuck @ Jun 23 2007, 11:25 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div><div class='quotemain'>I think people are low balling Joakim Noah a little bit.</div>Agree. People are always saying Noah is overrated, but I don't see it. He plays with such emotion and plays great defense. He's a great leader, and has shown he can play good at only 75%. Once he gets to 100%, who knows what he can do.As who the best player will be, it could be either one of them. It's less likely it will be Green, though he has a shot. But, he will most likely recieve a backup PG role when drafted, while Horford, Brewer, and Noah all have a good chance of starting for their team immedietly. Which, really that could benefit Green if he gets drated by a team with a good starting PG he can learn from.

9. tim

tim Respect JPJ

Although I love Corey Brewer's game, I think Al Horford seem to have the whole package as a tough big man. Tose seem to be getting tougher and tougher to find