Which Minutes Allocation Set Is Potentially More Concerning?

Discussion in 'Portland Trail Blazers' started by ABM, Nov 9, 2008.

?

Is There, Should There Be, Concern Here?

1. Blake, Sergio, Bayless

12 vote(s)
    36.4%
  2. Martell, Travis, Batum

15 vote(s)
    45.5%
  3. What, Me Worry? No Problemo As-Is

6 vote(s)
    18.2%
  1. ABM

ABM Happily Married In Music City, USA!

Commercial Real Estate
    To the degree that KP just might have to whip out his (roster) paring knife sooner than later.......

EDIT: I probably should have added: BOTH sets equally the same concern.

Last edited: Nov 9, 2008
  2. ABM

Commercial Real Estate
    BTW, I chose the SF set. When Martell returns, I don't know what Nate's gonna do. Batum's progress is extremely compelling.

3. BLAZER PROPHET

BLAZER PROPHET Well-Known Member

dental malpractice claims adjuster
    Yep, there isn't enough room for 3 SF's and their playing time.

My best guess is that Batum will sit until either he or Travis is traded.

4. STOMP

STOMP mere fan

you know the old saying, absence makes the heart grow fonder? I think we've got a bad case of that here in Portland regarding Martell. The way people stand by a guy who has been so mediocre amazes me. Batum is already a superior defensive player to both Travis and Martell and TO continues to be the superior offensive threat even at the deep ball which is Martell's one real skill. Of the three 3's, he has the prettiest form on his deep ball, but the worst %

He'll be coming off of a broken foot and will likely be a ways from being in good shape when he returns in Dec/Jan. Hopefully he'll round into game shape quickly and has somehow taken quantum leaps forward in his game and confidence since last year... hopefully he'll be so much better then he's been that he'll be the clear cut choice to start at SF forcing a trade of one of the other guys... that would be great.

I doubt it though.

STOMP

5. roydezlaw

roydezlaw Member

My best guess is Travis will stay and get more minutes at PF with starters and bench. I don't see why everyone assumes Travis will get traded. McMillan obviously likes his game or wouldn't put him on the floor for so many minutes and in crucial situations. And I still believe Travis is going to get better.

6. MARIS61

MARIS61 Real American

retired Yankee
    Blake's going eventually so Start the Serge!

7. Wizard Mentor

Wizard Mentor Wizard Mentor

Master of Xen Foro
    Agree with commentary about Martell, but I should point out that he really looked good running the
    break in the preseason. Many were congratulating his "scoring" in the preseason, but about half
    were fast break points.

8. Wizard Mentor

Wizard Mentor Wizard Mentor

Master of Xen Foro
    I chose the "no worry" option. I'm hoping the rookies emerge, and we eventually have a lineup of

Bayless/Roy/Batum/LMA/Oden
    with
    Blake/Rudy/Martell/Outlaw/Pryz
    as backups.

I really think this group could really do some damage if they were to play together for a while.

We don't need no stinkin' Heinrich!

9. Nate4Prez

Nate4Prez . . . .

This thread should be a poll of which is needed more, a PG or SF. No question by peoples response here PG is more of a need. When Martell gets back we have 3 GOOD SF's, which is why I'd be terribly upset if we go after Gerald Wallace (even though he would be a significant upgrade to our SF position). If the people here are happy with Blake getting the majority of minutes at PG that shows how weak we are at that spot, and I'm a Blake supporter.

10. Ed O

Ed O Administrator Staff Member Administrator

Martell started ahead of and played more minutes per game than Travis Outlaw for one reason last year: he was a better player. All reports had him in great shape this summer and at age 21, it's logical that he is capable of taking big steps forward.

I don't think it's accurate to say that he's being given credit for not being available.

Ed O.

11. Pinwheel1

Pinwheel1 Well-Known Member

I find it interesting that every year we (myself included) worry so much about what to do do with our 3rd string players. Yes sometimes we can trade those players for help, but just as often we trade a Drazen Petrovic for a Walter Davis. That one still pisses me off.

12. MrJayremmie

MrJayremmie Well-Known Member

I personally think its the PG situation... we already have someone (sergio) requesting more minutes.

Once Webster comes back, Outlaw can move to backup PF (Where he is best at, imo) and we can have a Batum/Webster rotation at the SF.

I think we more or less found the answer at SF and we have more of a log jam there, but at PG, i think we still haven't found the answer and have 2 mediocre PGs and 1 who hasn't played.

Yeah, man. I really love that lineup.. but its definitely "eventually". I think those are most likely the best combination of player per unit from a complimentary standpoint. But Sergio/Blake would have to rotate (if we still have sergio eventually) so we can see who actually works better w/ that unit. It leaves Sergio/Blake and Frye out though, which sucks... That can be where a trade comes in... Diogu, Sergio/Blake, Frye, Raef for someone or something to that extent even though I would be sad to see Frye go.. and even Sergio/Blake to an extent (whoever is chosen).

But seriously now... looking back, this is a pretty awesome problem to have. Too many good, young players fighting for minutes. :)

Last edited: Nov 9, 2008
  13. STOMP

STOMP mere fan

sorry Ed but thats oversimplifying things. Martell won the starting position with a hot streak in pre-season two seasons back. Nate has consistently spoken since then of preferring Travis off the bench because he can get his shot. If he were to switch starters from Martell to Travis no one in the 2nd unit would have been a good option when the clock was winding down. Martell has not demonstrated the ability to get his own look, but he can stand in the corner with his feet set and hit a good percentage when the ball is swung to him and he's open. His skillset fit with needs of the starting unit playing off of Roy's drives and he got his shot to shine there last year. He just didn't set the world on fire... as the featured deep ball threat he was only the 4th best on the club percentage wise.

It's pretty easy to compare the two guys productivity last year as they played pretty close to the same amount of minutes. Travis leads in most every category and PER type measure. Both were passable at best on D. In the great TO vs MW debate I see things tilted in Travis's favor as he has the better size, results, and the rarer /more valuable skillset. I can see the other side of the argument but I'll take results over hopes of what might be.

But the times they are a changing in Portland. Rudy's arrival lessens the value/need of Travis's ability to go for the 2nd unit and to my eyes Batum is the best defender at the three. If he continues to shoot 40% from deep and demonstrate a heady all around game, I probably want him to continue to start. If he keeps this up, TO and MW might be locked in their epic struggle for PT with each other scrapping over who fits best in the backup role.

I also wonder if Frye not being extended might be the writing on the wall for moving Travis back to PF next year...

STOMP

14. barfo

barfo triggered obsessive commie pinko Staff Member Global Moderator

I think it is none of the above - the problem is at SG. Having both Roy and Rudy forces one to play out of position, usually Roy at PG. But Roy isn't nearly as good a PG as he is a SG.

Having to choose between two good SGs is a bigger problem than having to choose between three fairly weak PGs or three middling SFs.

barfo

15. ABM

Commercial Real Estate
    Boy, ain't that the truth!

OK, then, coach, how can you reasonably rectify that sitchyation? Personally, I don't like the Roy @ PG, although it may the the clearest antidote.

16. MrJayremmie

MrJayremmie Well-Known Member

I actually think what we are doin' right now w/ Roy and Rudy (with Rudy gettin' about 30mpg at PG, SG, and SF) is pretty good... and it will only get better as they learn to play together better, as Nate learns who fits together best and at what position(s) they are effective at... I think I like Rudy at PG (outside of the 2nd half of the 4th QTR) more than Roy.

17. LameR

LameR Ha Seung-Jin Approved!

Soccer Coach
    Something needs to be done about each of those positions before the season is over.

18. barfo

Easy, you trade one of them for a top-end PG.

Easy, but painful.

barfo

19. Nate4Prez

Nate4Prez . . . .

I'm with you, but what top-end PG is available?

20. barfo

Not sure right now, but by the trading deadline, there probably will be someone.

barfo