Who comes on strong post-All Star?

Discussion in 'NBA General' started by GArenas, Feb 18, 2008.

1. GArenas

GArenas Wiz Fo Champz

Well we're past the all-star break and it's time for certain teams to step it up. Last season we saw the Bulls, Cavs, Warriors, Spurs, Sixers, and towards the end the Nuggets step it up and play much better ball. This season I see a different cast of teams that will perform quite well.

The Houston Rockets will finish their season above 50 wins because of how they've performed as of late, the Golden State Warriors/Denver Nuggets will both bring 100% to the court because of their battle for a playoff spot, my Wizards will start to play better as Gilbert Arenas is set to return in less than 2 weeks and Butler should be back within the next couple of games, Sixers are already hot I expect them to stay so, the Lakers/Suns/Mavericks will fight for the #1 seed, this is usually the time that Cleveland starts to light it up but there's some uncertainty and frustration with LeBron who knows that he's doing everything this year, the Bulls and the Hakws have the potential to step it up we'll see how those teams mesh with Mike Bibby for the Hawks and the returns of injured players for the Bulls. Who do you think will step up their game in the last 30 games.

2. Kaz

Kaz Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (GArenas @ Feb 18 2008, 11:26 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div><div class='quotemain'>Well we're past the all-star break and it's time for certain teams to step it up. Last season we saw the Bulls, Cavs, Warriors, Spurs, Sixers, and towards the end the Nuggets step it up and play much better ball. This season I see a different cast of teams that will perform quite well.

The Houston Rockets will finish their season above 50 wins because of how they've performed as of late, the Golden State Warriors/Denver Nuggets will both bring 100% to the court because of their battle for a playoff spot, my Wizards will start to play better as Gilbert Arenas is set to return in less than 2 weeks and Butler should be back within the next couple of games, Sixers are already hot I expect them to stay so, the Lakers/Suns/Mavericks will fight for the #1 seed, this is usually the time that Cleveland starts to light it up but there's some uncertainty and frustration with LeBron who knows that he's doing everything this year, the Bulls and the Hakws have the potential to step it up we'll see how those teams mesh with Mike Bibby for the Hawks and the returns of injured players for the Bulls. Who do you think will step up their game in the last 30 games.</div>

I really think the Raptors, GSW, Hawks, Houston, Sixers, and New york (if they trade zach) will step it up, i also want to see what portland does, this should be very interesting

3. Moo2K4

Moo2K4 NBA West Producer

I definitely see the Hawks as a team that could finish quite strong. They were weak at PG before the trade and were in dire need of a true 2nd option behind Joe Johnson, and they got both. Bibby gives them a great PG and a player that can be either the first or 2nd option offensively. This also takes pressure off Josh Smith, who can now focus moreso on his strong suit, defense, and also makes it so Marvin doesn't have to score as much either. As for the Bulls, I honestly think they're dead in the water. They haven't played particularly well under Boylan and the other teams above them are playing well also.

Out West, I look for the Lakers to finish strong, as long as Kobe's finger stays mostly ok. If he needs surgery, I'd fully expect them to slip, but as long as he's on the court, they have a great chance to win every game and have a great chance at the top seed.

The Suns and Mavs though, I think will fall. Shaq is a horrible fit for the Suns. They play an up and down game and Shaq is not made for that kind of pace. His conditioning has always been in question and I fully expect that to show. Plus, even with him, they're still awful on defense. They're interior defense might have gotten a little better, but they traded away their best man defender so their perimeter defense is going to take a hit.

The Mavs, by landing Kidd, they do upgrade the PG position to an extent. They get a guy who can lead the break and set guys up, but with that they get a 35 year old with bad knees and no jump shot. And beyond that, they give up one of their better post defenders in Diop, and in a place where they were already weak, they get weaker. With just Damp down low, they have very little center depth and their post defense is going to be pretty awful. They were already a soft team down low and this move just makes them softer, especially if Dirk has to defend someone like Amare or Bynum. I honestly think this move basically hands the division to the Hornets while the Mavs end up settling for somewhere between the 4th or 6th seed and more than likely, another first round exit depending on the opponent.

4. CelticBalla32

CelticBalla32 Basketball is back in Boston

I agree with Moo2k about Atlanta. With the Bibby deal, I don't think there's any question that they can make a strong playoff push right away. I love their energetic frontcourt, they have a great starting backcourt of JJ/Bibby, and they still have some quality role players off the bench in Childress/Zaza (and maybe Law can finish the season strong, who knows?). I hope they make the playoffs, and I think they will.

I think Miami will play a little better, as well. Still not great, and still likely at a below-.500 clip, but better than winning 1 of 25.

Out west, it's tough to say. They are all so tight, and I'm not so sure many teams are going to play much better record-wise. I'm looking at Denver, though. I think they are going to end up making a move before Thursday afternoon, and I think they'll be ready come playoff time.

As far as individuals are concerned, I'll be on the lookout for guys like Marcus Banks, Thaddeus Young, and Mike Conley to play better than they have. That's also not to say that Conley hasn't played well, because he has, but I think he will show quick improvement in the coming months. Also, if Houston doesn't make a deal for another 4-man by Thursday, I think Scola will have a terrific second half.

I'd also keep an eye out on Rajon Rondo. He has been playing great basketball as of late, especially since KG went down. I don't know what his scoring numbers will look like in the final 2 months of the season, because KG is coming back this week, but I'd say you can expect a more consistent and more aggressive (with his own shot) Rajon Rondo in the second half of the year.

Rudy will also continue to put up big numbers - probably higher than the 1st half, especially if they trade Miller.

5. Run BJM

Run BJM Heavy lies the crown. Staff Member Global Moderator

In the East definitely the Hawks will make a surge. They got a huge upgrade at PG but just as importantly in Bibby hes a guy who knows how to close out games, he knows how to make a push for the POs and he'll hit big shots. He'll be a good calming influence for their young team. Its really hard to pick anyone else in the East, all the teams are so bad that any team who can play close to .500 basketball will make the POs. Bos and Detroit will continue to dominate.

In the West its much more interesting. I'm a homer so I'll take the Warriors to do well but I'll make some points to justify this view. The Warriors are top 3 in wins and winning percentage since November 16th (when Stephen Jackson's suspension ended), Boston and Detroit are the other two teams in the top 3. They started off 0-6 and struggled without Jackson and yet they're 12 games over .500 right there with the rest of the west. They're really being slept on right now. Add on 6 losses to any other team in the west and they'll fall way out of the race, its only a matter of time before they get a little separation from the bottom rung of the PO contenders in the west.

In addition to this, Monta Ellis has been insane the last month or so. In the last 20 games hes averaging 21 ppg, 5 rpg. In the last 10 hes averaging 26 ppg, 6 rebs, 4 ast on 62% shooting. Through 5 games in February hes averaging 28/6/4 on 70% shooting. Hes unstoppable. Baron Davis has actually slipped a little lately but he'll be rested and pissed after the all-star break. If they make a trade using Pietrus to get anyone who can get into the rotation they'll be that much better and we still don't really know what Webber can do for this team.

Other teams form the west whom I expect to make a push: LAL, especially if Bynum comes back soon. I think Phoenix will continue to do very well. I'd look for NOH to fall a little bit down to the 3-5 spots because they really don't have a good bench and their starters may tire out a bit down the stretch. If Denver makes a move they'll be pushing hard for the POs. Houston has been very hot lately and they're a big wild card. Portland has been falling off and I expect them to continue to come down to earth. When Brand gets back I think the Clippers could go on a run but it'll be too little way too late.

6. GArenas

GArenas Wiz Fo Champz

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Moo2K4 @ Feb 18 2008, 11:51 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div><div class='quotemain'>The Suns and Mavs though, I think will fall. Shaq is a horrible fit for the Suns. They play an up and down game and Shaq is not made for that kind of pace. His conditioning has always been in question and I fully expect that to show. Plus, even with him, they're still awful on defense. They're interior defense might have gotten a little better, but they traded away their best man defender so their perimeter defense is going to take a hit.</div>

You can look at the Shaq situation like that or you can say it will be similar to Kareem Abdul Jabbar on the Lakers who'd grab the boards and set it up for a quick outlet pass. Also, in the playoffs, the Suns will be in the half-court a good deal and at that point Shaq could be very helpful with his prescence.

7. Moo2K4

Moo2K4 NBA West Producer

You have a point there GA, but the issue with the Suns in the halfcourt is that they're terrible in the halfcourt. The only play they run effectively is the pick and roll. If you shut that down, they're halfcourt offense isn't anything spectacular. Why do you think they try to run so much?

8. ToddMacCulloch11

ToddMacCulloch11 Who me?

Now seems about the time when the Spurs actually start trying.