Who IS Amir Johnson?

Discussion in 'Detroit Pistons' started by Stones, Apr 16, 2007.

1. Stones

Stones BBW Member

Who IS Amir Johnson?Amir Johnson started out high school at Pacific Hills H.S. in Los Angeles, although he did not play his freshmen year due to academic eligibility issues. The next year, he transferred to Verbum Dei H.S, also in L.A, where he averaged 18 points, 13 rebounds, and 8 blocks. This is when Amir began to be recognized by scouts and programs all over the country. He was named by scout.com as one of the four best sophomores in Southern California. After his sophomore year, Johnson decided to transfer again, this time to Westchester H.S. in L.A. Because of transfer eligibility issues, Amir again had to sit out a whole year. During this time, many schools were still trying to recruit him including Syracuse, Louisville, North Carolina, Arizona, and Georgia Tech. Johnson was also trying to get his grades up to make sure he could play his senior year. After the year was over, Johnson was leaning toward Syracuse, North Carolina, and Louisville in particular, but the 12th ranked recruit in the country (scout.com) decided on attending Louisville because of Coach Rick Pitino. In his final year of high school, Amir averaged 21 points, over 15 rebounds, and over 8 blocks, as well as shooting 80% from the floor, leading Westchester to the state title. He was named a McDonalds All-American, as well as Mr. Basketball in California. Due to his success, Johnson was torn in his decision to attend college or enter his name into the NBA draft. His stock rose as he played very well in the EA Sports Roundball classic, but fell as he played poorly in McDonalds All American game. NBA scouts became worried about Amir's consistency, awkward jumpshot, and his underdeveloped body. There were also concerns as to what position Amir would play at the pro level. A 6?9 with a skinny frame, he was a ?tweener between the 3 and 4. It became apparent that Amir would not be drafted in the 1st round, probably not even early second. Most people thought Amir would attend Louisville for at least one season so he could be a surefire first rounder.Although he knew of this, Amir still entered his name into the 2005 NBA Draft. There was still a possibility that he would take his name out of the draft, for he had not signed an agent, and attend Louisville. His grades were not good enough to attend Louisville, however, and he took the SAT a second time. However, after taking the SAT again, and watching the Early Entry Date pass for the draft, there was no looking back.On Draft Day, the Detroit Pistons selected Amir Johnson with the 56th pick. They were thinking about taking him with their first rounder, but decided to take Jason Maxiell instead. They never thought Amir would be available when their second rounder came around. Amir signed a contract with the Pistons in August for the rookie minimum of $385,227. The contract was for one year with a team option for a second.In his rookie year, he did not get much playing team at all on an experienced Piston team that was a title contender. He also didn?t get sent to the D-League until very late in the season because, coming straight out of high school, he was not accustomed to living on his own. During this time, he learned a lot from veterans Rasheed Wallace, Ben Wallace, Antonio McDyess, and Dale Davis. He scored his first points of his career on a windmill dunk against Minnesota on January 24th. (http://youtube.com/watch?v=k1CqtnnPtSs) In February 2006, the Pistons sent Amir down to their D-League affiliate, the Fayetteville Patriots. There he averaged over 17 points, 7 rebounds, and 1.5 blocks in 17 games. He was called back up after the Pistons clinched home court advantage throughout the playoffs, hoping to get playing time. The best game of his career was against the Milwaukee Bucks on April 17th when he scored 18 points without missing a shot(6/6 FG 2/2 3P 4/4 FT) all in the second half.Over the summer, Johnson grew two inches to increase his height to 6?11, making him a legit PF in the NBA. Going into the season, Amir didn?t expect to see much time. He played some insignificant minutes in games the Kings, Warriors, Hornets, and Bulls at the beginning of the season. On January 8, 2007, he was sent to Sioux Falls in the D-League, only to be recalled two weeks later after posting over 17 PPG, 7 RPG, and 3 BPG. He didn?t appear in any games, so he asked Joe Dumars if he could be sent back down to Sioux Falls. Dumars granted his wish on February 27th. In his first game back, Amir had 32 points, 13 rebounds, 5 blocks, and 3 assists. On April 13th, Amir was called back up, and finished the D-League regular season with averages of 18.9 points, 9.7 rebounds, 3.14 blocks, and 2.1 assists. In his first game back with the Pistons against the Raptors, Johnson played 18 minutes, putting up 3 points, 4 rebounds, and a block. The next game, against the Sixers, Amir had arguably the best game of his NBA career, playing 35 minutes, and scoring 12 points, grabbing 10 rebounds, and swatting 6 shots, to go along with his 3 assists.Amir has shown glimpses of why he was so highly recruited coming out of high school. He is a restricted free agent this summer so hopefully Joe D can lock him up long term, and become one of the next great Pistons.--StonesallthewayI got pretty lazy toward the end, but whatever.

2. The Captain

The Captain BBW VIP

In simpler terms, GOD.

3. WELCOMEtotheJUNGLE

WELCOMEtotheJUNGLE BBW Elite Member

He's someone....that should have gone to college.

4. YarnIdge

YarnIdge BBW Elite Member

Good read man, I didn't even know he was drafted. Good job.

5. arnob_detroitbasketball

arnob_detroitbasketball BBW Member

Hey guys, its that time again, End of the 3rd against boston, Amir playing great.Amir: 18 Points, 8 Rebounds(5 Off.Rebounds), 3 Blocks, 3 Steals and he played 25:09 Minutes. And there is still a quarter to go!Did you guys see his sweet power dunk at around 8 secs left in the 3rd?

6. high54life

high54life Sky's The Limit

In other words, loser to Gerald Green in the HS Dunk Contest

7. Combs

Combs BBW Root *****

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (High54Life @ Apr 18 2007, 09:37 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div><div class='quotemain'>In other words, loser to Gerald Green in the HS Dunk Contest</div>He's tearing the celtics up tonight.

8. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch BBW Member

Amir rocks! How old is he?Btw, nice read.

9. arnob_detroitbasketball

arnob_detroitbasketball BBW Member

I think he is 19 yrs old.

10. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch BBW Member

That's sick!Do you guys have a lot of potential on him or what?

11. SteveNash4MVP

SteveNash4MVP BBW Member

Amir Johnson is my best friends moms boyfriend and I'm not kidding.

12. The Captain

The Captain BBW VIP

20 Points/12 rebounds/3 steals/3 blocks in 37 minutes.I. Love. Amir.

13. The Legacy

The Legacy BBW Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (The Captain @ Apr 18 2007, 10:28 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div><div class='quotemain'>20 Points/12 rebounds/3 steals/3 blocks in 37 minutes.I. Love. Amir.</div>Jeff Foster would've had 20 rebounds in that timeJosh Powell would've had 10 o rebounds in that timeJames Jones would've had 7 threes in that timeRonny Price would've had 6 steals in that timeTheo Ratliff would've had 9 blocks in that timeI'm not downplaying Amir's stats or anything - but their are a lot of back-ups who could put up big number in that amount of time too

14. SteveNash4MVP

SteveNash4MVP BBW Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (The Legacy @ Apr 18 2007, 09:03 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div><div class='quotemain'>Jeff Foster would've had 20 rebounds in that timeJosh Powell would've had 10 o rebounds in that timeJames Jones would've had 7 threes in that timeRonny Price would've had 6 steals in that timeTheo Ratliff would've had 9 blocks in that timeI'm not downplaying Amir's stats or anything - but their are a lot of back-ups who could put up big number in that amount of time too</div>Don't be hating on James Jones.

15. The Captain

The Captain BBW VIP

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (The Legacy @ Apr 18 2007, 11:03 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div><div class='quotemain'>Jeff Foster would've had 20 rebounds in that timeJosh Powell would've had 10 o rebounds in that timeJames Jones would've had 7 threes in that timeRonny Price would've had 6 steals in that timeTheo Ratliff would've had 9 blocks in that timeI'm not downplaying Amir's stats or anything - but their are a lot of back-ups who could put up big number in that amount of time too</div>That's great and all, but can they do it all in the same game like Amir? I don't see any of those players putting up a 20/10/3/3/4 game.I don't see Powell getting 4 blocks or shooting 71%I don't see Jones getting 12 rebounds 4 blocks, or shooting 71%I don't see Price getting 12 rebounds, 4 blocks, or 20 points or shooting 71%I don't see Foster getting 3 steals, 3 assists, or 4 blocks.I don't see Ratliff getting 20 points, 3 assists, or 3 steals.

16. Combs

Combs BBW Root *****

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (The Legacy @ Apr 19 2007, 12:03 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div><div class='quotemain'>Jeff Foster would've had 20 rebounds in that timeJosh Powell would've had 10 o rebounds in that timeJames Jones would've had 7 threes in that timeRonny Price would've had 6 steals in that timeTheo Ratliff would've had 9 blocks in that timeI'm not downplaying Amir's stats or anything - but their are a lot of back-ups who could put up big number in that amount of time too</div> :doh: :no3:

17. The Legacy

The Legacy BBW Member

You guys are being huge homers. He had one huge game. Every player in the NBA is very talented so you never know what surprise player might put up big names. If you want me to I can come up with a big list of players who never play who put up big numbers in a game.

18. The Captain

The Captain BBW VIP

The guy has been down in the D-leagues for like 4 months, and he comes up without any practice and puts up 16/9/6 blocks in one game, 20/10/3/3/4 two games later.That's not a fluke at all. Not to mention he averaged something like 18/12/3/2/3 a game in the D-leagues. That's dominant.

19. The`Dream

The`Dream BBW Elite Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE </div><div class='quotemain'>The guy has been down in the D-leagues for like 4 months, and he comes up without any practice and puts up 16/9/6 blocks in one game, 20/10/3/3/4 two games later.That's not a fluke at all. Not to mention he averaged something like 18/12/3/2/3 a game in the D-leagues. That's dominant.</div>I'm a huge homer as well, but whenever you finish an arguement with "in the D-leagues. That's dominant" you sacrifice your side.

20. The Legacy

The Legacy BBW Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (L_C @ Apr 19 2007, 06:59 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div><div class='quotemain'>I'm a huge homer as well, but whenever you finish an arguement with "in the D-leagues. That's dominant" you sacrifice your side.</div>lol. what I was gonna say