Who needs a PF?

Discussion in 'Portland Trail Blazers' started by chzbrgr, Mar 1, 2017.

1. chzbrgr

chzbrgr Well-Known Member

.... not the blazers.

This isn't because I have faith in ANYONE on our roster at that position to be clear, but in this draft we should be looking for a player who could one day be the best player on the team (with dame and cj included). That is the only way we get anywhere closer to the chip we all desire. Now that begs the question: do we want the best blazers player to be the PF position again? and can we get that guy in this draft? I sure don't see that guy anywhere.

Forget about the obvious need for a moment, think about the elite teams in the NBA right now. How many teams are lead by a pf? Not any I can think of. Elite wings on the other hand are a necessary component to success in the modern NBA. Now, I've been a big Harkless supporter since the summer we got him but at best he is a serviceable backup on an elite team. We need a guy a la Jimmy Butler, Kawhi Lenoard or Paul George otf. Someone to groom into elite 2-way production from the wing or guard position. Most importantly it means being capable of guarding 1-4 at least decently.

There are a few guys who fit that bill or could one day become that guy:

Guys I want if we can move up (tank or luck):

Johnathan Issac (the guy I really want)

Jayson Tatum

GriLtCheeZ, WillG and Pinwheel1 like this.
  2. Pinwheel1

Pinwheel1 Well-Known Member

I agree with your theory unless the best player available is a pF. And we do have 3 picks so even if we chose a wing with the 1st pick we should still take a PF with the 2nd or 3rd.

3. Mediocre Man

Mediocre Man Mr. SportsTwo

What if the three best players when we pick are all 6'3" combo guards that don't play defense?

dviss1, Chris Craig, riverman and 2 others like this.
  4. Boob-No-More

Boob-No-More Why you no hire big man coach?

I don't entirely disagree with your premise, but both CHI and IND are struggling to play .500 ball in the East. So, it's not like having Jimmy Butler or Paul George has made them contenders. And, this is coming from a guy who has long coveted both players.

And Kawhi has always had an all star level PF playing next to him. So, perhaps having an all star PF is just as important as having an all star wing.

I really think it comes down to having good 2-way players. I've been harping on this since last summer. With Dame and C.J., we really need the rest of our starters, or at the very least, two of them to be well above average at both ends of the court. Hopefully, Nurk can become one of those guys.

It then comes down to drafting the best player available, and hopefully he'll be a forward. Doesn't really matter if he's a PF, SF or a tweener. We are weaker at PF, but could really use an upgrade at both positions.

I like both players you highlighted and there don't seem to be any real needle movers at PF in this draft - at least not any that are well above average at both ends of the court. Robert Williams seems to have the best potential, but he could also end up being a TRob type bust.

Both Isaac and Tatum are projected to go higher in the draft that where we are currently slotted to pick. But, we could still move up, based on the way we are playing, or perhaps by packaging our pick + one of the others. Given the lack of stud PFs in this draft, I'd be very happy if we could grab one of Isaac or Tatum with our highest pick and then snag one, more more, of John Collins, T.J. Leaf, Caleb Swanigan, with our lower picks.

BNM

BonesJones and Pinwheel1 like this.
  5. Boob-No-More

Then they wouldn't really be BPA.

BNM

6. Mediocre Man

Who's to say? Dame and CJ are great. Do you draft more of them?

7. Boob-No-More

Not unless the player being drafted would be clearly better than either, which would be pretty unlikely given where we'll be picking. I do believe in taking BPA over need, but it's not always clear who is actually the BPA, all things considered. That's why I think the tier system generally works well.

Rank the guys who will be available based strictly on talent and projected impact and then take the player within the highest tier available who addresses your team's weaknesses. If a player from an upper tier drops, you draft him anyway, as he's clearly the BPA. He may not meet your immediate needs, but you can always trade him or someone he replaces for a proven player that does. In other words, if a steal drops into your lap, you take it and figure out what to do later. You never pass on a sure thing, regardless of need or position.

BNM

BBert likes this.
  8. BigGameDamian

BigGameDamian Well-Known Member

They would obviously be untouchable IF we draft them! You know how Paul loves his young guards.

9. Boob-No-More

Yeah, it's not like he traded Sebastian Telfair for a draft pick, or anything...

I think what Paul loves is talent, and given how hard (impossible) it is to lure top tier free agents to POR, you can hardly blame him for wanting to hang onto, even hoard, whatever young talent he acquires. Still he has proven in the past, he's not afraid to move young payers if he sees a chance to make the team better.

BNM

BonesJones likes this.
  10. tester551

tester551 Well-Known Member

IMO, if they don't play defense - then they aren't the best players.

BonesJones likes this.
  11. BonesJones

BonesJones https://www.youtube.com/c/blazersuprise

Who do you think are like those 2 in this draft?

12. Mediocre Man

So Dame wasn't the best player at our pick?

13. Mediocre Man

Couldn't name 2 players in this draft

14. Trackjack

Trackjack Well-Known Member

Tatum is a guy I want on our team. Last night Tatum was huge and Issac kind disappeared at times in the game.

15. WillG

WillG Well-Known Member

Fully agree with your player selections there chzbrgr.

In another post I alluded to the possibility that, if we choose to rebuild, we could come away with a totally re-tooled roster from a well regarded draft.
    The two guys I had in mind were 1. Isaac and 2. Tatum.

If we can grab these two guys in the draft, after trading some assets to move up, then we could have a Roy/Aldridge calibre rebuild on our hands.

Darkwebs likes this.
  16. Chris Craig

Chris Craig (Blazersland) I'm Your Huckleberry Staff Member Global Moderator Moderator

That's all the team is gonna be next year. Olshey is going to trade everyone except dame and CJ for picks and sign only 6'3 combo guards who can't defend.

17. rotary111

rotary111 Well-Known Member

Real Estate.
    Maybe we draft the 3 best defensive Power Forwards/Centers at our pick spots whether they are projects or not and hope at least one pans out.

I think it's 9 - 21 - 28 as we sit today.

Trade ED, Meyers and Ezeli and move up one spot in the draft.

Darkwebs likes this.
  18. KingSpeed

KingSpeed Veteran

actor
    Warriors have elite PF in Green. Cavs have elite PF in Love. LeBron often plays PF too. Before them, Spurs and Heat had Duncan and Bosh. Before them, the Mavs had Dirk. So yeah. You need an elite PF to win the championship in the last several years.

19. Mediocre Man

I believe all of the players you listed, sans Dirk, are all NBA defensive team members. Bosh wasn't either, so nevermind. Just have to have best player in league on your team