Who should make the 2008 All-Star teams?

Discussion in 'American League Central' started by Denny Crane, Jun 30, 2008.

1. Denny Crane

Denny Crane It's not even loaded! Staff Member Administrator

Never lost a case
    http://sportstwo.com/MLB/Story/MLB/2540237

Who should make the 2008 All-Star teams?
    Monday, June 30, 2008 09:00 AM
    BC-BBM-LGNS-TXBASEBALLNOTES-R

By Tom Covill
    PA SportsTicker Assistant Baseball Editor

---------------------------------------------------

With the 2008 All-Star rosters set to be announced Sunday and the requisite number of big-market stars currently leading the voting, it's time to take a look at who would make the Midsummer Classic if the selections were based solely on first-half performance.

For the record, I'm in support of letting the fans decide the starters. The All-Star Game, at its core, is an exhibition, and we the fans should get to see who we want.

Besides, the fans are voting for people like Ken Griffey Jr., Derek Jeter and Ichiro Suzuki because they have

established themselves as stars over a number of years, as opposed to just putting up one good half-season.

With that being said, here are the best first half's - with at least one representative from each team and 32

players per side.

AMERICAN LEAGUE:

C: Joe Mauer, Minnesota Twins - Leads AL backstops in runs, hits, RBI and OPS and amongst the best hitters in the game.

1B: Kevin Youkilis, Boston Red Sox - "Youk" leads all AL first basemen in batting average, slugging percentage, doubles and runs scored while playing Gold-Glove defense.

2B: Ian Kinsler, Texas Rangers - Performance is finally meeting promise for Kinsler, who leads AL second basemen in hits, runs, homers, RBI, slugging and OPS.

SS: Michael Young, Rangers - Texas' hit machine edges Jeter in a down year for AL shortstops.

3B: Alex Rodriguez, New York Yankees - The game's highest-paid player may not be worth $275 million, but he's close close - leading AL'ers at the hot corner in average, on-base percentage, slugging percentage and OPS.

OF: Josh Hamilton, Rangers - A legitimate triple-crown threat and one of the best stories in the game, Hamilton is tied for the AL lead in homers and leads the majors with 78 RBI.

OF: Grady Sizemore, Cleveland Indians - Tied with Hamilton for the home run lead, the five-tool superstar is the only bright spot in a terrible Indians lineup.

OF: Carlos Quentin, Chicago White Sox - Not even guaranteed a roster spot at the start of spring training, Quentin joins Sizemore and Hamilton at the top of the AL home run chart and ranks in the top five in RBI and OPS.

DH: Milton Bradley, Rangers - Talented but troubled slugger leads AL in batting average, OPS, OBP, and slugging.

SP: Cliff Lee, Indians - The surprise ace of the Indians has bounced back from a forgettable 2007 to tie for the AL lead in wins and rank second in ERA. The lefthander has allowed two earned runs or less in 11 of his 15 starts.

RESERVES:

C: Dioner Navarro, Tampa Bay Rays - One of many deserving young Rays.

1B: Justin Morneau, Twins - Leads AL infielders in RBI.

2B: Brian Roberts, Baltimore Orioles - Edges Dustin Pedroia for the backup spot.

SS: Derek Jeter, Yankees - Not having a typical Jeter campaign, but makes it by default.

3B: Mike Lowell, Red Sox - Fifth in AL in OPS.

OF: J.D. Drew, Red Sox - Second amongst AL outfielders in OBP and OPS.

OF: Jermaine Dye, White Sox - Bouncing back nicely from disappointing 2007.

OF: B.J. Upton, Rays - Should be the first of many All-Star appearances for five-tool talent.

OF: Magglio Ordonez, Detroit Tigers - Motown's lone representative is turning in typical solid season.

OF: Manny Ramirez, Red Sox - It's just not a Midsummer Classic without Manny.

P: Felix Hernandez, Seattle Mariners - The one bright spot in a terrible season for the Mariners.

P: Roy Halladay, Toronto Blue Jays - Doc gets the nod over Shaun Marcum for Toronto's spot.

P: Joe Saunders, Los Angeles Angels of Anaheim - Tied with Lee for AL wins lead.

P: Jon Lester, Red Sox - Mr. no-hitter has emerged as one of the best in the league.

P: Scott Kazmir, Rays - Rays' ace just keeps getting better.

P: Justin Duchscherer, Oakland Athletics - Converted reliever leads AL in ERA and WHIP.

P: Francisco Rodriguez, Angels - Gunning for saves record in a contract year.

P: Mariano Rivera, Yankees - 0.74 ERA, 0.55 WHIP, .138 batting average against.

P: Jonathan Papelbon, Red Sox - Heir to the Rivera throne.

P: George Sherrill, Orioles - Key piece of Erik Bedard trade has not disappointed.

P: Joakim Soria, Kansas City Royals - The anchor of a strong Royals bullpen.

P: Joe Nathan, Twins - Consistently brilliant.

NATIONAL LEAGUE:

C: Brian McCann, Atlanta Braves - Tops among NL backstops in homers, OPS, doubles and slugging. The hefty catcher has even stolen a base.

1B: Lance Berkman, Houston Astros - Transcendent month of May and a simmering June has him leading the majors in OPS while leading the NL in doubles.

2B: Chase Utley, Philadelphia Phillies - Early MVP candidate tied for the major league lead in homers despite horrible June.

SS: Hanley Ramirez, Florida Marlins - Signed a big contract extension and immediately set to work earning it. Ramirez is the gold standard for offensive shortstops and has improved his once-suspect defense.

3B: Chipper Jones, Braves - Spending the season flirting with .400 while dealing with constant nagging injuries.

OF: Pat Burrell, Phillies - Pat the Bat is making a contract push by leading NL outfielders in OPS.

OF: Ryan Braun, Milwaukee Brewers - No sophomore slump for last season's NL Rookie of the Year, Braun's 20 blasts sets the pace for major league outfielders.

OF: Matt Holliday, Colorado Rockies - Injuries robbed him of a couple of weeks, but Holliday's .333 batting average leads NL outfielders and makes him one of the hottest names on the trade market.

SP: Edinson Volquez, Cincinnati Reds - Leads the NL in ERA and batting average against while ranking second in strikeouts in his first full major league season.

RESERVES:

C: Russell Martin, Los Angeles Dodgers - Athletic backstop is Joe Torre's favorite new toy.

1B: Albert Pujols, St. Louis Cardinals - The best hitter in the game.

1B: Adrian Gonzalez, San Diego Padres - Somehow finds ways to get the ball out of Petco Park.

2B: Dan Uggla, Marlins - Tied with Utley for ML home run lead.

SS: Cristian Guzman, Washington Nationals - League leader in hits get the Nationals' spot.

SS: Jose Reyes, New York Mets - Not nearly as bad as New York talk radio would lead you to believe.

3B: Aramis Ramirez, Chicago Cubs - Outshined only by Jones at NL hot corner this season.

OF: Jason Bay, Pittsburgh Pirates - Bouncing back just in time for the trade deadline.

OF: Ryan Ludwick, Cardinals - It must be nice to hit in front of Mr. Pujols.

OF: Nate McClouth, Pirates - Star of April still good enough.

OF: Carlos Lee, Astros - The hefty slugger sure knows how to drive in runs.

P: Tim Lincecum, San Francisco Giants - NL strikeout leader gives Giants hope for future.

P: Ben Sheets, Brewers - Showing what he can do when (mostly) healthy.

P: Brandon Webb, Arizona Diamondbacks - NL wins leader.

P: Dan Haren, Diamondbacks - League WHIP leader adjusting well to NL game.

P: Carlos Zambrano, Cubs - Ace of NL's top team.

P: Cole Hamels, Phillies - Second to Haren in NL starter's WHIP.

P: Johan Santana, Mets - Peripheral stats amongst league leaders despite .500 record.

P: Brad Lidge, Phillies - Notched 19 saves in 19 chances with a 0.84 ERA.

P: Kerry Wood, Cubs - At home in bullpen in first season as closer.

P: Carlos Marmol, Cubs - Wood's setup man averaging 12.64 strikeouts per nine innings.

P: Billy Wagner, Mets - outspoken leader of New York bullpen.

P: Brian Wilson, Giants - Surprise NL saves leader.

Agree or Disagree? E-mail: Thomas.Covill@PA-SportsTicker.com

2. Petey

Petey Super Sized Sexy, The Bulls Fan Killer! Staff Member Administrator

I've got so many of these guys on my fantasy team. Still running HOT!

-Petey

3. pegs

pegs My future wife.

McCann and Chipper are definitely shoe-ins. Everyone else on the Braves is amazingly inconsistent.

4. Big Frame

Big Frame Well-Known Member

With Detroit being over .500, aand Magglio hurt I would like to see Gallaragga on the All-Star team.

5. Master Shake

Master Shake young phoenix

Only 1 Jay? Jeez, that's more than I would of put. I guess you have to put Doc in there. I think we haven't been good at all and I would of liked to see Rios maybe in there too.

6. Brand New

Brand New so wavy

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Master Shake @ Jun 30 2008, 02:39 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div><div class='quotemain'>Only 1 Jay? Jeez, that's more than I would of put. I guess you have to put Doc in there. I think we haven't been good at all and I would of liked to see Rios maybe in there too.</div>

Rios is off to a really slow start. 2 HR's?

7. Master Shake

Master Shake young phoenix

Yea, but he has good defense. I guess you're right.