Who should Paul Williams fight next?

Discussion in 'Boxing' started by speeds, May 16, 2009.

1. speeds

speeds $2.50 highball, $1.50 beer Staff Member Administrator GFX Team

Top ranked light middleweight Paul Williams has a problem: nobody wants to fight The Punisher.

Williams' only fight in 2009 so far has been a lopsided unanimous decision win over Winky Wright. His two opponents prior were Verno Phillips and Andy Kolle.

When he defeated Antonio Margarito for the welterweight title it seemed like everything was going to get bigger and better for Williams, but a devastating decision loss to Carlos Quintana immediately after sent his stock plummeting. Williams avenged the loss six months later, blasting Quintana out of the fight in the first round--but since then its been difficult to find challengers.

Possible opponents: Shane Mosely (welterweight), Kelly Pavlik (middleweight), Arthur Abraham (middleweight), Felix Sturm (middleweight), Andre Berto (welterweight), and Miguel Angel Cotto (welterweight). If he really packed on some muscle he could consider fighting super middleweights Carl Froch, Lucian Bute, Mikkel Kessler, or Jermain Taylor. Which fight is the best?

2. Kaydow

Kaydow Well-Known Member

Construction Sales
    I think that a Pavlik/Williams or a Abraham/Williams matchup would be interesting - Williams is fantastic. He has showed a granite chin at Welterweight - taking several flush shots vs Margarito and Quintana that did NO damage. Let's be honest though, the only legit middleweight he's fought is Winky and that guy never could punch. I can see Williams dominating Pavlik, but I don't know how Williams reacts when Pavlik lands a big shot. He's never been hit by a big punching middleweight.

If he goes back down to Welterweight I just don't think anybody can beat him. Margarito hit Williams with some good shots, but had to take a ton of punishment in the process. I don't think Cotto is durable enough to absorb that. Mosely? It's hard to imagine Shane getting inside on Williams often enough and Williams would dominate that matchup on the outside.

How 'bout this one? James Kirkland. I know that JK is in some hot water with the law. But his style just might give Williams trouble. I don't think he would run from this fight either. Truthfully, I think Kirland isn't scared of anybody. I'd pay to watch that fight.

3. speeds

speeds $2.50 highball, $1.50 beer Staff Member Administrator GFX Team

Article

Last edited: May 22, 2009