who should the suns draft?

Discussion in 'NBA Draft' started by AZ1, Jun 17, 2003.

1. AZ1

AZ1 JBB JustBBall Member

Who should they draft at 17? should they go for a power forward to back up amare like collison,scortsanitis,or cabarkapa. Or maybe a backup point there isnt any worthy of 17 unless they can get marcus banks or reece gaines. How about a backup small forward cause dan langi sucks. well thoughts and opinons.

2. Shapecity

Shapecity S2/JBB Teamster Staff Member Administrator

Apparently the Suns have committed to Cabarkapa. If I were the Suns I would trade the pick and try to get a solid inside player to do the dirty work and allow Amare to use more energy on offense. They need someone similar to Charles Oakley to guard the 4's in the league.

3. sunsfan1357

sunsfan1357 JBB JustBBall Member

I don't want the Suns to pick a backup PF because they have enough people there that are adequate backups. I don't want the Suns to get a backup PG either because Marbury takes up most of the minutes anyway. I say they should go for a SF to backup Marion so he won't be forced to play as many minutes so he won't burn out. Rocko and I were discussing the prospect of taking Boris Diaw (if available) because he really sounds like (to me atleast) another Shawn Marion, just better at defense.

4. jbbFranchise

jbbFranchise JBB JustBBall Member

Collison or David West would be a good pick, but they would have to play C, west couldnt, but collison might be able to a bit in the NBA.

5. sunsfan1357

Picturing Collison on the Suns makes me want to [​IMG]

6. Kid Canada

Kid Canada JBB Banned Member

collison,greek baby shaq,carbarkapa or some one big or can play center.

7. jbbFranchise

<div class="quote_poster">Quoting "sunsfan1357":</div><div class="quote_post">Picturing Collison on the Suns makes me want to [​IMG]</div>

why because hes too good for them? [​IMG]

J/P

8. sunsfan1357

Ha...good one...anyway I don't think Collison is even close to being strong enough to play power positions in the NBA (only lifted 185 once). For other reasons I will quote another sunsfan:

<div class="quote_poster">Quote:</div><div class="quote_post">1. Collison is about the same size as Mark Madsen was when he came out, and (like Madsen) because of his size, he'll probably need a couple of years before he's ready to contribute.

2. Collison's game reminds me of the old Gugliotta. (His knees are gone now, I'll admit, but Googs is significantly taller than Collison, which balances that a little). Since Googs himself couldn't crack the Suns' rotation, and since he left Minnesota partly because his game didn't mix with Marbury's, I'm not sure how Collison is supposed to help the Suns.

3. From now on, Suns' bigs are going to be playing with Amare most of the time. I can't see how Collison and Amare are going to be that effective together...

Amare + Bo--athletic, trapping defense
    Amare + Big Jake--power and interior defense
    Amare + Little Jake--energy, attack weak PFs in the low post
    Amare + Joe Johnson (small ball)--quickness, outside shooting helps to prevent double-teams vs. Amare
    Amare + Collison--um, short??

If you're looking for an established college forward at #17, I would still rather have David West, who has better range on his shot and might be athletic enough to play SF as well as PF.

Of course, what I'd really like--if the Suns are going to draft a forward, at least--is for the team to find somebody who's significantly better than the available college forwards. If they draft Cabarkapa or Khryapa (or Ndudi Ebi or Travis Outlaw) as their BPA, I'll be happy.

The Suns know what they're doing, though. I'm sure that the player they wind up at #17 will be a good one, whomever it is. </div>

9. jbbFranchise

Well there is always time to work out, and another thing is, Collison was about 100 times more effective than Mark Madsen was and ever willl be...I just said could play C, never would or should lol. But he is a definite power forward, his rebounding in the championship game should have told everyone that.

I don't want him on the suns anyway, he should go to sonics with the 14, and hinrich with the 12 pick.

10. Alley-oop

Alley-oop JBB JustBBall Member

The Spurs need to draft a player that can play PF and C.

11. Shapecity

Shapecity S2/JBB Teamster Staff Member Administrator

the suns should draft deangelo collins since him and amare were going at it in the mcdonald's high school game. he's a big player with a decent outside shot. they might be able to raise each other's level.

scouts were saying david west couldn't shoot the ball consistently from mid-range and had disappointing workouts.

how about phoenix drafts local college favorite luke walton or josh howard from wake forest?

12. sunsfan1357

Not with the 17 pick...maybe if they trade the 17 pick for a pick in the second round. It may be worth it for Josh Howard, but not for Luke Walton. DeAngelo Collins can't be drafted since he has already been passed up in the draft.

13. Alley-oop

Alley-oop JBB JustBBall Member

They cant draft Collins he was in last years draft. But he is a FA so they could sign him.

14. AZ1

AZ1 JBB JustBBall Member

<div class="quote_poster">Quoting "sunsfan1357":</div><div class="quote_post">Picturing Collison on the Suns makes me want to [​IMG]</div>
    yeah i dont want him on the suns either

15. mike18946

mike18946 JBB

Suns need to draft either a back-up center or a back-up PG...to give marbury at least some rest

16. VinsanityMK

VinsanityMK JBB JustBBall Member

17. AZ1

AZ1 JBB JustBBall Member

yeah marcus banks would be good but i think that boston is going to take him at 16

18. VinsanityMK

VinsanityMK JBB JustBBall Member

<div class="quote_poster">Quoting "AzBalla17":</div><div class="quote_post">yeah marcus banks would be good but i think that boston is going to take him at 16</div>
    collison is most likely to be drafted at #16...

Boston will prolly draft him.