Who should Utah Jazz Draft?

Discussion in 'Utah Jazz' started by J_Ray, May 24, 2005.

1. J_Ray

J_Ray JBB JustBBall Member

Who should Utah Jazz Draft? We got the 6th pick and we need the point guard of our future. The only thing I worry about is that Deron Williams and Chris Paul might not be there. All I see is Charlotte and New Orleans drafting a point guard in front of us. According to HoopsHype Mock Draft they have Utah taking Tiago Splitter. If Deron Williams isn't there do we get Raymond Felton, like I been hoping for.
    Who should we take( assuming Deron Williams and Chris Paul isn't there):

<div align="center">Raymond Felton 6-0 Point Guard/ North Carolina

Tiago Splitter 6-11 Power Forward/ Spain

Chris Taft 6-10 Power Forward/ Pittsburgh

Channing Frye 6-11 Center/ Arizona

Gerald Green 6-8 Shooting Guard/ High School</div>

http://www.hoopshype.com/draft.htm

2. Voodoo Child

Voodoo Child Can I Kick It?

Well, I talked this pick over with a few friends, and we all pretty much agree that there are two likely scenarios. The first scenario has the Hornets taking Deron Williams followed by the Bobcats taking Raymond Felton to fill their Point Guard void. If this happens, then the Jazz are very likely to take either Fran Vazquez, the 6-10 Spanish Power Forward; Martynas Andriuskevicius, the 7-3 Lithuanian Center project; or Gerald Green, the 6-8 High School Small Forward. The second scenario has the Hornets taking Gerald Green followed by the Bobcats taking Deron Williams. If this happens, the Jazz are very likely to take Raymond Felton, who is the best available Point Guard.

Who do I think they should take? Check out JBB's v5 mock which will be posted tomorrow for more on what Shapecity, Courtking, and I think the Jazz will do.

3. BigBlueFan

BigBlueFan BBW Member

I think a center and point guard are the Jazz's biggest needs and the draft consists of a great core of guards for you all to chose from in Nroth Carolina guard Raymond Felton, Illinois guard Deron Williams, and high school phenom Martell Webster. I've got a feeling that you will go with either PF Fran Vazquez or PG Raymond Felton. Both have a good chance at being there when you all pick, so it's all on GM Frank Layden's shoulders.

4. Voodoo Child

<div class="quote_poster">Quoting UKOwnstheSEC:</div><div class="quote_post">I think a center and point guard are the Jazz's biggest needs and the draft consists of a great core of guards for you all to chose from in Nroth Carolina guard Raymond Felton, Illinois guard Deron Williams, and high school phenom Martell Webster.</div>

Well, Deron Williams would be the obvious pick for the Jazz. He was likely their man at #4. However, it's unlikely that he slips to them now with the #6 pick. New Orleans is looking at him with their #4, and if they pass on him then he's on his way to Charlotte at #5. Martell Webster, on the other hand, is a great player and I'd personally draft him this high, but I don't think the Jazz would. Besides, he's a Shooting Guard, not a Point Guard.

5. J_Ray

I really want Raymond Felton!!! He is exciting to watch, because of his flashy passes and dribbling. He reminds me of Steve Nash in a way, but he can't shoot consistently. My second option is try to trade up or trade down, because they don't really need anything but a point guard. I also think an option is to trade down and get some future 2nd-rounders and Pick Channing Frye. He is a athletic Center that can shoot like Duncan and that's a Athletic Big man that Utah don't have. Then he could be a spark off the bench, because I'm not thrilled with Bochardt and Collins or Handtolgen.

6. Voodoo Child

<div class="quote_poster">Quoting J_Ray:</div><div class="quote_post">I really want Raymond Felton!!! He is exciting to watch, because of his flashy passes and dribbling. He reminds me of Steve Nash in a way, but he can't shoot consistently. My second option is try to trade up or trade down, because they don't really need anything but a point guard. I also think an option is to trade down and get some future 2nd-rounders and Pick Channing Frye. He is a athletic Center that can shoot like Duncan and that's a Athletic Big man that Utah don't have. Then he could be a spark off the bench, because I'm not thrilled with Bochardt and Collins or Handtolgen.</div>

Channing Frye is far from Tim Duncan. If anything, he's a poorman's Loren Woods. I can not understand why a lot of people want to draft him. At Arizona, he was a good player, but never a dominant player. He's skilled, but he's not going to be anything in the NBA more than a backup Center, because he's too small to compete with guys like Lorenzen Wright or Ben Wallace in the paint. The main reason he's as high as he is on people's draft boards is because of the lack of height in this year's draft. Drafting a Point Guard, Fran Vazquez, Martynas Andriuskevicius, or Gerald Green is a much better option for the Jazz.

7. J_Ray

<div class="quote_poster">Quoting Voodoo Child:</div><div class="quote_post">Channing Frye is far from Tim Duncan. If anything, he's a poorman's Loren Woods. I can not understand why a lot of people want to draft him. At Arizona, he was a good player, but never a dominant player. He's skilled, but he's not going to be anything in the NBA more than a backup Center, because he's too small to compete with guys like Lorenzen Wright or Ben Wallace in the paint. The main reason he's as high as he is on people's draft boards is because of the lack of height in this year's draft. Drafting a Point Guard, Fran Vazquez, Martynas Andriuskevicius, or Gerald Green is a much better option for the Jazz.</div>

Ya well have you seen the back-up centers for Utah Lately.... NO!!! He can be a spark off the bench because he can block shots and has a perimeter game. If he adds some muscle he can be good. He's taller than Wallace and Wright. He can be a piece Utah don't have. But they can only take him if they trade down or can't get Raymond Felton. With Felton and McCleod they can out run everyone but the Suns when needed. They can also find people on the court too. But remember they have another 1st-rounder and a early 2nd-rounder. They can also draft an project like Salim Stoudamire, I would because if he can come to par at the PG position he can be good. Or trade a bundle of 2nd-rounders and Matt Harpring they can make a Run at Mustafa Shakur next year. I think a smart pick with the first 1st-rounder is go big with a center, then use the other 1st-rounder and get Chris Thomas out of Notre Dame, he was good through his college career.

8. Voodoo Child

<div class="quote_poster">Quoting J_Ray:</div><div class="quote_post">Ya well have you seen the back-up centers for Utah Lately.... NO!!! He can be a spark off the bench because he can block shots and has a perimeter game. If he adds some muscle he can be good. He's taller than Wallace and Wright. He can be a piece Utah don't have. But they can only take him if they trade down or can't get Raymond Felton. With Felton and McCleod they can out run everyone but the Suns when needed. They can also find people on the court too. But remember they have another 1st-rounder and a early 2nd-rounder. They can also draft an project like Salim Stoudamire, I would because if he can come to par at the PG position he can be good. Or trade a bundle of 2nd-rounders and Matt Harpring they can make a Run at Mustafa Shakur next year. I think a smart pick with the first 1st-rounder is go big with a center, then use the other 1st-rounder and get Chris Thomas out of Notre Dame, he was good through his college career.</div>

Actually I have seen the backup Centers for Utah. I watched a lot of their games this year with NBA League Pass. While I agree that they're not first-tier backup Centers, you don't want to pass up a player like Raymond Felton just to get Channing Frye. You say "if he can add some muscle", but you don't understand how hard it is for players of his frame to add muscle. He's got a long way to go to compete with the beefy Centers of the NBA. Also, I don't think that being one or two inches taller than Lorenzen Wright or Ben Wallace will make that big of a difference when they go head to head, because both Wright and Wallace are bulkier and more agressive than Frye and would tear him apart. If you want a backup Center that badly, then why not look at Martynas Andriuskevicius? He can serve the role as a backup Center for a few years, and then when Okur's contract begins to expire, the 7-3 Andriuskevicius will probably be developed into one hell of an NBA player.

About Salim Stoudamire, I'm beginning to see a patern here. Let me guess, you're an Arizona fan, right? (Just a hunch.) I think that Salim Stoudamire is better suited as a Shooting Guard in the NBA. While he can handle himself at Point Guard just as well as most Point Guard prospects in the draft, he's still an undeniable Shooting Guard and that's what he'll be asking to play once drafted. If you want a Point Guard in the latter stages in the draft or the second round, then draft Dee Brown. He's a player who is really hurt by this year's depth and could easily be a lottery pick next season if he just waited. He'd be a steal for the Jazz. Also, what makes you think Chris Thomas is a 1st round talent? If anything, the Jazz can look to pick him up with the last pick in the draft.

9. J_Ray

<div class="quote_poster">Quoting Voodoo Child:</div><div class="quote_post">Actually I have seen the backup Centers for Utah. I watched a lot of their games this year with NBA League Pass. While I agree that they're not first-tier backup Centers, you don't want to pass up a player like Raymond Felton just to get Channing Frye. You say "if he can add some muscle", but you don't understand how hard it is for players of his frame to add muscle. He's got a long way to go to compete with the beefy Centers of the NBA. Also, I don't think that being one or two inches taller than Lorenzen Wright or Ben Wallace will make that big of a difference when they go head to head, because both Wright and Wallace are bulkier and more agressive than Frye and would tear him apart. If you want a backup Center that badly, then why not look at Martynas Andriuskevicius? He can serve the role as a backup Center for a few years, and then when Okur's contract begins to expire, the 7-3 Andriuskevicius will probably be developed into one hell of an NBA player.

About Salim Stoudamire, I'm beginning to see a patern here. Let me guess, you're an Arizona fan, right? (Just a hunch.) I think that Salim Stoudamire is better suited as a Shooting Guard in the NBA. While he can handle himself at Point Guard just as well as most Point Guard prospects in the draft, he's still an undeniable Shooting Guard and that's what he'll be asking to play once drafted. If you want a Point Guard in the latter stages in the draft or the second round, then draft Dee Brown. He's a player who is really hurt by this year's depth and could easily be a lottery pick next season if he just waited. He'd be a steal for the Jazz. Also, what makes you think Chris Thomas is a 1st round talent? If anything, the Jazz can look to pick him up with the last pick in the draft.</div>

Ya, I'm a Arizona/ North Carolina college b-ball fan. I like to see run and gun/ high flyin styles. But Salim Stoudamire can play point guard, i watched him a lot too because that's all they showed and I like Arizona. I saw him play PG when Mustafa Shakur was out and he didn't have a melt down like that Thomas guy on North Carolina. He did really good, and Utah has had success with small shooting guards( Mo Williams). If they still had him they would be set, but they dont so they need to experiment. Channing Frye though, I think will be good. All the good centers now days are all good at jump shooting. Plus he can run, unlike Bochardt and Collins. They both have bad knees, and Utah don't have time to wait for that guy from Lithuania, actually they do if Kirilenko and Boozer stay healthy. TGM he said he wanted to get rid of 2 of their picks so why don't he use those 2 and trade up in the draft. A couple of player they're also high on is Ryan Gomes and Julius Hodges. Another player that i would like with that last pick though is Juwad Williams (crossing fingers) I really thought he was possible 1st-rounder to start the year then the depth killed his stock. How bout that guy from Northeastern too, Jose Juan Barea, he is extremely good. Are you guys going to make a mock 2nd round draft too, Voodoo?

10. Voodoo Child

<div class="quote_poster">Quoting J_Ray:</div><div class="quote_post">Ya, I'm a Arizona/ North Carolina college b-ball fan. I like to see run and gun/ high flyin styles. But Salim Stoudamire can play point guard, i watched him a lot too because that's all they showed and I like Arizona. I saw him play PG when Mustafa Shakur was out and he didn't have a melt down like that Thomas guy on North Carolina. He did really good, and Utah has had success with small shooting guards( Mo Williams). If they still had him they would be set, but they dont so they need to experiment. Channing Frye though, I think will be good. All the good centers now days are all good at jump shooting. Plus he can run, unlike Bochardt and Collins. They both have bad knees, and Utah don't have time to wait for that guy from Lithuania, actually they do if Kirilenko and Boozer stay healthy. TGM he said he wanted to get rid of 2 of their picks so why don't he use those 2 and trade up in the draft. A couple of player they're also high on is Ryan Gomes and Julius Hodges.</div>

It's not so much of a question of "Can Salim play Point Guard?". Everybody knows that he has that ability. It's more of of a question of "Does Salim want to be a Point Guard?", and the answer to that seems to be "no" so far. I disagree that all good Centers are good at jump shooting. Shaquille O'Neal doesn't have a jump shot, nor do Lorenzen Wright, Ben Wallace, Amare Stoudamire, Stromile Swift, and an almost endless list of great Centers. Frye's jumpshot will make him useful, but he won't be able to survive on it.

11. J_Ray

<div class="quote_poster">Quoting Voodoo Child:</div><div class="quote_post">It's not so much of a question of "Can Salim play Point Guard?". Everybody knows that he has that ability. It's more of of a question of "Does Salim want to be a Point Guard?", and the answer to that seems to be "no" so far. I disagree that all good Centers are good at jump shooting. Shaquille O'Neal doesn't have a jump shot, nor do Lorenzen Wright, Ben Wallace, Amare Stoudamire, Stromile Swift, and an almost endless list of great Centers. Frye's jumpshot will make him usefull, but he won't be able to survive on it.</div>

I didn't mean Shaq and Ben Wallace. I meant like good big men, not centers, like Dirk, Amare Stoudamire can shoot too! Well Utah can use Salim at Shooting guard the way their shooting is.

12. Voodoo Child

<div class="quote_poster">Quoting J_Ray:</div><div class="quote_post">I didn't mean Shaq and Ben Wallace. I meant like good big men, not centers, like Dirk, Amare Stoudamire can shoot too! Well Utah can use Salim at Shooting guard the way their shooting is.</div>

Amare Stoudamire has somewhat of a jumpshot, but it's nowhere comparable to Dirk Nowitzki's. Besides, you don't expect Frye to be half as good as Nowitzki or Stoudamire, do you?

13. Stockton

Stockton JBB

The Jazz are obviously badly in need of a Point Guard. They are said to be high on Deron Williams, but it's unlikely Utah can get him with the 6th pick. The Jazz may try to move up in the draft to get Williams. If the Jazz try to move up, what do they offer and who do they trade with, if anyone? Kevin O'Connor has said it's unlikely that Utah keep all 5 of their picks in the draft. The Jazz could always trade the 6th pick, and possibly fillers, for a PG who can come in and make an immediate impact. There are a lot of different things the Jazz could end up doing on draft day.

14. Shapecity

Shapecity S2/JBB Teamster Staff Member Administrator

I would not be surprised to see the Jazz move out of the 6th spot or draft for another team and then do a trade. It's hard to see Deron Williams slip to them and a player like Jarrett Jack might fit Sloan's schemes better than Raymond Felton would, plus he would cost less.

They could try to move up to #4 or #5 , both the Hornets and Bobcats got screwed over by dropping out of the top 3 and landing the players they wanted. I'm not sure what Utah has to give up to entice either team. Maybe they do a trade similar to the one Golden St. and Toronto did when the Warriors drafted Vince Carter and then traded him for Antawn Jamison and cash. If Deron is still available at #5, the Jazz should be able to work a deal out with the Bobcats. If not for cash and saving the Bobcats a little bit on salary, I could see the Jazz including Kirk Snyder.

15. J_Ray

<div class="quote_poster">Quoting shapecity:</div><div class="quote_post">I would not be surprised to see the Jazz move out of the 6th spot or draft for another team and then do a trade. It's hard to see Deron Williams slip to them and a player like Jarrett Jack might fit Sloan's schemes better than Raymond Felton would, plus he would cost less.

They could try to move up to #4 or #5 , both the Hornets and Bobcats got screwed over by dropping out of the top 3 and landing the players they wanted. I'm not sure what Utah has to give up to entice either team. Maybe they do a trade similar to the one Golden St. and Toronto did when the Warriors drafted Vince Carter and then traded him for Antawn Jamison and cash. If Deron is still available at #5, the Jazz should be able to work a deal out with the Bobcats. If not for cash and saving the Bobcats a little bit on salary, I could see the Jazz including Kirk Snyder.</div>

Ya i think they will because Kirk Snyder didn't do all that great and he had his playing time and all he did was score 5 points for Utah in the First quarter then he was done in every game. I would really like to see Utah get Raymond Felton though. He would create more plays than the other 3 Point Guards. He has vision like Nash.
    I would like to see them pick a 3-point shooter though, Raja Bell and Giricek is all they have, Kirilenko isn't consistent. Salim Stoudamire would be good, they can play like they did with Mo Williams and Raul Lopez 2 years ago, they did really good when they had that small line-up.

16. J_Ray

<div class="quote_poster">Quoting shapecity:</div><div class="quote_post">I would not be surprised to see the Jazz move out of the 6th spot or draft for another team and then do a trade. It's hard to see Deron Williams slip to them and a player like Jarrett Jack might fit Sloan's schemes better than Raymond Felton would, plus he would cost less.

They could try to move up to #4 or #5 , both the Hornets and Bobcats got screwed over by dropping out of the top 3 and landing the players they wanted. I'm not sure what Utah has to give up to entice either team. Maybe they do a trade similar to the one Golden St. and Toronto did when the Warriors drafted Vince Carter and then traded him for Antawn Jamison and cash. If Deron is still available at #5, the Jazz should be able to work a deal out with the Bobcats. If not for cash and saving the Bobcats a little bit on salary, I could see the Jazz including Kirk Snyder.</div>

Do you remember what happen to Utah when they got Raul Lopez over Tony Parker because they wanted to save money, they got screwed. They got a no good for nothing, injury proned point guard that they don't really want anymore because of that they have been down. If they got Tony Parker, we wouldn't be in this mess we're in now, trying to figure out who Utah are going to draft at point guard. So I wouldn't waste my pick on someone for less money.