Who To Draft And Who To Do The Drafting?

Discussion in 'Portland Trail Blazers' started by Shapecity, Mar 21, 2007.

1. Shapecity

Shapecity S2/JBB Teamster Staff Member Administrator

<div class="quote_poster">Quote:</div><div class="quote_post">T he best-kept secret in the franchise might be that the Portland Trail Blazers went through their entire NBA predraft process a year ago, held discussions, watched film, scouted games, handed out psychological tests, evaluated workouts, gathered reports and decided they absolutely had to have . . . Adam Morrison.

True story.

The Blazers' top scout was sold on Morrison -- lock, stock and mustache. Fans were lobbying for Morrison. Then, according to a source who was in the draft room, assistant general manager Kevin Pritchard, who was told "this is your draft," by owner Paul Allen, decided to pick Brandon Roy.

"It's the kind of move that gets you fired if you're wrong," an insider said.

This is why the Blazers made the draft-day moves to secure Roy, which only proves that these draft-evaluation things can be a blend of art, science and gut. And Blazers fans might be pleased to know that the franchise has had a scout at every first- and second-round NCAA Tournament game.

Pritchard was in Spokane to see Texas freshman Kevin Durant, among others, last weekend. And according to NCAA officials, he's taken the unusual step this week of requesting a credential for both East Rutherford, N.J. (where North Carolina, Georgetown, Vanderbilt and USC will play) and San Jose (Kansas, Southern Illinois, Pittsburgh and UCLA).

On Tuesday, Pritchard declined to comment about which teams and players he wants most to see this week. And it's probably wise, as Celtics' general manager Danny Ainge was fined $30,000 this week by the NBA for sitting too close to Durant's mother.

But Pritchard did indicate that the franchise's draft-evaluation process is already about "66.6 percent" done. Said Pritchard: "We know within a few players who we feel pretty good about."

Portland's 27 victories give the franchise the eighth-worst record in the league, which only means, barring a fortunate bounce of the pingpong ball, the Blazers won't have a shot at a player the caliber of Durant or Ohio State freshman Greg Oden, should they declare for the draft.

But a pick between fourth and seventh seems likely, and that puts pressure on Pritchard and his band of talent evaluators. In fact, the next few months could be as pivotal for the franchise as any in the past five years. The Blazers not only must decide who to pick in the June 28 draft in New York but also will choose someone to make future draft decisions. And one wonders which decision will come first.

Remember, Portland is operating without a permanent president or general manager. But also, if Allen has enough confidence in Pritchard to give him the draft again, why not promote him already? </div>

Source

2. rafy

rafy JBB JustBBall Member

As far as I'm concerned. We don't even need anymore talent to be a successful team.

I don't see a chance of landing either the 1. or 2. pick, but top 10 has me licking my chops.

As far as who should do the drafting. Pritchard NEEDS to be signed on as the official GM of this club. Last years draft is most likely going to be very, very memorable. He did a fabulous job, and he needs to be rewarded.

3. The_Future

The_Future JBB JustBBall Member

<div class="quote_poster">rafy Wrote</div><div class="quote_post">As far as I'm concerned. We don't even need anymore talent to be a successful team.

I don't see a chance of landing either the 1. or 2. pick, but top 10 has me licking my chops.

As far as who should do the drafting. Pritchard NEEDS to be signed on as the official GM of this club. Last years draft is most likely going to be very, very memorable. He did a fabulous job, and he needs to be rewarded.</div>

As a Blazer fan who would you like to see us draft? I was hoping for Brandan Wright, but that might be out of reach or Horford. Julius Wright I don't know too much about, but he seems to be pretty good.

Another possibility would be to trade down for maybe some cash, or an SF and then draft Acie Law who I think can be a stud in the draft. Only problem with that is we have the PG and SG pretty filled, unless we trade Jack and keep Sergio as backup to Acie or switch Roy to PG if Acie prefers SG.

4. amador08

amador08 JBB JustBBall Member

I havent followed the blazers much till lately, I love their young guys. Brandon Roy is amazing, I dont like zach too much though :/

5. rafy

rafy JBB JustBBall Member

<div class="quote_poster">amador08 Wrote</div><div class="quote_post">I havent followed the blazers much till lately, I love their young guys. Brandon Roy is amazing, I dont like zach too much though :/</div>

Welcome to the club. It would be great if you could be more active, because it feels like I'm talking to myself in here [​IMG]

6. Shapecity

Shapecity S2/JBB Teamster Staff Member Administrator

The Blazers would be better served if they could package this pick and trade it away with Darius Miles and/or Raef LaFrentz. The Blazers have a young core in place already, and the franchise needs to continue to take the steps to get rid of the overpaid players like Miles and LaFrentz, possibly ZBo. However, I think ZBo has matured this past season and fits perfect alongside Aldridge in the post.

This team just lacks experience, but the Blazers have plenty of talent at each position and some nice role players like Udoka.

Getting some cap flexibility should be the goal.

If they do decide to keep the pick, then the Blazers should draft scoring wing player like Al Thornton.

7. Gee_Dupe11

Gee_Dupe11 JBB JustBBall Member

its all about how darius miles comes back. he was a year ago having a Caron Bulter type of season. so PG/SG/SF is somewhat filled up but the Center spot will look pretty thin. with Magloorie More likely to leave and Joel should be a bench player (Diop like) Zach and LaMarcus are the only two at the power foward/center spots. At the same time we need vet Players who have alot of experience.so IMO we should do this

Draft a Small Forward /Power Forward (in case of D-miles)
    Jeff Green would be perfect for this that gives us a lineup of 3 great passers.

And sign a Power Forward/Center Who can score a little but really bangs the boards and blocks