Who would you select if you had the 1st Pick?

Discussion in 'NBA Draft' started by iversonfan3, May 2, 2004.

1. iversonfan3

iversonfan3 JBB JustBBall Member

i wud rather get emeka okafor because he already proved that he can play at a higher level than dwight howard.im not saying that dwight howard wud be the next kwame brown...im just saying that its safer to draft emeka okafor. it wud prob take longer for howard to develop so i think okafor will do better the first year.

2. Sir Desmond

Sir Desmond JBB Stig!

Moved to Draft forum.

3. Streetball2k5

Streetball2k5 JBB JustBBall Member

Obviously it depends on the team that has the number 1 pick, if you want instant success, draft Okafor. If you are rebuilding, draft Howard... This thread is pretty much pointless because we don't know what kind of team we have.

4. og15

og15 JBB *********

It does depend on the team but most teams would draft either Emeka or Dwight, and if they have good players at their positions will use them as trade bait.

5. dachen33

dachen33 JBB JustBBall Member

Depends if teams like the clippers get the first pick, they might pick a point guard, Livington instead of both Okafor and Howard, because they have many Power Forwards.

6. STC

STC JBB JustBBall Member

I do not think Emeka Okafor will have the success he had in college, in the NBA. I think someone like Luol Deng, has just as much upside, as a Dwight Howard. But, it all depends on your teams needs.

7. deception

deception JBB Banned Member

i would select okafur if was orlando than dangle him and gooden for a legit center or a point guard

8. Mez

Mez JBB JustBBall Member

I think the #1 pick will be Okafor no matter what the team needs. If a team wants a PG but drafts the best player instead, they usually trade that guy for the one they really wanted + cash or an extra player. We saw this with the Bulls and Cavs with Jamaal Crawford and Chris Mihm, they were drafted back to back and then traded player for player + cash

9. Mamba

Mamba The King is Back Staff Member Global Moderator

Dwight, he is an athletic freak. Emeka could have nagging back injuries throughout his career, and he really doesnt have the playmaking ability that Howard has.

10. Trip

Trip 2000000000000000000000000

Student
    Howard might just as well turn out the next Lebron, and he has an upside as big as anyone in the draft. To me, he is a no-brainer as he is very versatile and can be really great in the future. Okafor might have proven himself more but he might not be a good enough post player, especially if he's drafted by a Western team.

11. Eclipse

Eclipse JBB JustBBall Member

it's basically the same situation as last year with 'Melo and Darko...if you want consistency and an (almost) sure thing, then you go with a proven player - Okafor, but if you have a decent team and you can wait for the player to develop you take Howard

Detroit was a good team already last year, so they could afford to draft on potential, which Denver could not

either way, i think they're both going to be decent players in the league

12. Sir Desmond

Sir Desmond JBB Stig!

<div class="quote_poster">Quoting _EcLiPsE_:</div><div class="quote_post">it's basically the same situation as last year with 'Melo and Darko...if you want consistency and an (almost) sure thing, then you go with a proven player - Okafor, but if you have a decent team and you can wait for the player to develop you take Howard

Detroit was a good team already last year, so they could afford to draft on potential, which Denver could not

either way, i think they're both going to be decent players in the league</div>

That's true to an extent, but Howard is still expected to contribute in his first season. Darko was far from NBA ready, and teams knew this.

13. KingCarmelo

KingCarmelo JBB JustBBall Member

I would pick Okafor just me...by the way...when is the draft lotary?

14. Rave

Rave JBB JustBBall Member

As happy as I'd be having either Okafor or Howard. I personally would have to choose between Jameer Nelson and Ben Gordon. To me they're really rare, high caliber players, probably not worth the 1st spot, but would make a great addition to a "team." They're monster scorers, unseflish, plus really fast workhorses. Not to mention, how good Jameer Nelson is overall in the game, including defense. I'd be much happier having a all-star caliber PG.

15. zonebeast

zonebeast JBB JustBBall Member

i think depends the team if iam a team who needs a inmediatly success i select Emeka Okafor if i am looking to future i think Dwigth Howard or Briednis are good selections also i think in Luol Deng can be a good number 1 pick but i am 90% secure is Emeka Okafor The first pick

16. iversonfan3

iversonfan3 JBB JustBBall Member

see i wud rather draft dwight howard....i have this thing for high skoolers.lol

17. KingSac

KingSac JBB JustBBall Member

What about Al jefferson? Has anyone seen his stats they're abnormal. I wouldn't select with the first pick But I thinks he's a little underrated.

18. Moo2K4

Moo2K4 NBA West Producer

It all depends on who gets first pick. If it's the Magic, I would go for probably Dwight Howard. I don't go with Okafor because of his history of back problems. If Chicago gets it, I would probably either go with Livingston, because, at what, 6'7", I think they could move him to small forward or shooting guard. But, it really all depends on who the team is for who they choose. There is really no guaranteed #1 pick because of the depth of the potential #1 picks, cause, yea, there are a bunch of them. But, personally, I want Livingston to drop to 4th so the Bobcats can pick him up. Don't know if that'll be happening though.

19. 30 standing ver

30 standing ver JBB JustBBall Member

I'm really anxious to see how good Dwight Howard is. Some think he might be the next Lebron. Wow, I didn't expect that much outta him because they didn't air any of his games on espn. Personally I like Jameer Nelson if I was the Clippers. Who's the Clippers point starting point guard? Dooling, it would be a great addition for them to give their top scorers more opportunities score more + score himself on a consistent basis.