Who would you trade CJ McCollum for?

Discussion in 'Portland Trail Blazers' started by Dan Marang, Jan 31, 2016.

1. Dan Marang

Dan Marang Numbers Guru

Business Analyst
    I'm in the midst of doing some research for the article/podcast this week and with all of the crazy Bill Simmons "who says no?" type trades out there, one thing kept popping up in my mind- "who would Blazers fans be okay with trading CJ for?"

Kevin Love and Blake Griffin have already been brought up, so the level of which national writers are talking is pretty high. I'd like to preface this with who would you REALISTICALLY be okay with trading CJ for- but one man's realism is another man's pipe dream. Keep in mind the salary cap, form and fit, and the timeline laid out by Olshey and who's the guy you're willing to give up CJ for?

Does a CJ for Andrew Wiggins deal go past what you think could happen? Let's hear the ideas, I'm genuinely interested in what the hive has to say.

2. PtldPlatypus

PtldPlatypus Let's go Baby Blazers! Staff Member Global Moderator Moderator

CJ is basically just below all-star level offensively, with still a little potential for growth. Any trade of CJ would have to return a player who either already performs at a level higher than CJ (Paul George, Blake Griffin) or is perceived to have a ceiling that is higher than CJ's (Andrew Wiggins, Jahlil Okafor, Ben Simmons, Brandon Ingram, etc). Players like Kevin Love or even D'angelo Russell probably don't fit the bill. I'd be on the fence about Victor Oladipo.

3. KeepOnRollin

KeepOnRollin Well-Known Member

Not sure it is realistic but the one SG I would trade him for is Jimmy Butler (I don't feel Harden or Klay are realistic at all - of course). No other SG would tempt me as I would rather just keep CJ. Not saying he is 4th best SG necessarily but someone like DeRozan is going to get max and for that money I don't see him as a huge upgrade over CJ. I think you could make a case of CJ being the 6th-8th best SG in the whole league at the moment though.

Now other positions would bring more players. Will try to make these as realistic as I can:

SF:
    Paul George (would have to be in a package I think.

PF:
    Derrick Favors

C:
    Greg Monroe (I honestly not sure I would do it but doubt Bucks would for CJ alone anyways)

I not going to bother with PG.

Guys I don't want at all (for CJ at least): Wade, Gay, Faried, Kanter, Lopez,

Last edited: Jan 31, 2016
  4. Natebishop3

Natebishop3 Don't tread on me!

I would do CJ/Plumlee/Leonard for Paul George.

Nikolokolus, 0-Our! and riverman like this.
  5. KeepOnRollin

That is giving up a lot. I would do CJ plus one of the 2 personally (and a pick) but I do love me some Paul George and would love to get him.

6. riverman

riverman Writing Team

That's my number one choice..he needs to get out of Indiana and they need to rebuild...best SF fit for the Blazers discounting a chance at Lebron or Durant although I'd move CJ, Kaman and Henderson or Harkless and keep Plumlee and Leonard in the deal..throw in future draft pick or two

Orion Bailey, stampedehero and TBpup like this.
  7. Dan Marang

Dan Marang Numbers Guru

Business Analyst
    I like the reasoning there. I know there's been much made about how CJ and Dame CAN coexist together and be this super-awesome-totally-cool backcourt, but I'm not sold on it yet. Please don't take this as me saying I WANT to trade CJ- that's not the case. My personal belief is he has until the end of next season to show it can work on both ends of the court. If the Blazers were to move CJ I think they would best be served targeting the SF position- Wiggins and Paul George would be my go to names. The one you brought up that I've often thought would be a fun one to dive into- Oladipo. He's nowhere near the offensive player that CJ is, but defensively he's fantastic. In the trade world I would say that CJ is worth quite a bit more than 'Dipo, so this is where it gets interesting- would a Oladipo/Vucevic package for CJ + (insert big here) interest Blazer fans?

8. Dan Marang

Dan Marang Numbers Guru

Business Analyst

The Monroe one I'm not a real fan of- offensively he's grown into the player many thought he would be coming out of college, but he's still weak on the defensive end.

Favors is definitely an interesting choice. Would you play him at the 4 or the 5? Would you rather have Favors over Gobert?

Matt Moore at HardwoodParoxysm threw out a Crabbe/Davis for Rudy Gay deal that had my interest slightly grabbed but personally, I'd rather it be Crabbe/Plumlee- with that in mind I think it's fair to say CJ is on a higher tier than Gay as far as trade value is perceived.

Last edited: Jan 31, 2016
  9. KeepOnRollin

I would love to get Vucevic but I think ORL values him highly. Can't see it happening with CJ alone for him so not sure you get Oladipo and him for CJ and Plumlee for example.

dviss1 and TBpup like this.
  10. Natebishop3

I just don't value Leonard very highly, so to me he's a sweetner, but the meat and potatoes is CJ/Plums. Honestly, I'd rather deal Davis. I like Plumlee a lot.

11. KeepOnRollin

I wouldn't mind Monroe but not for CJ.

No I wouldn't rather have Favors over Gobert but him getting moved is a lot more realistic imo. And he isn't that far behind Gobert in my eyes. I would play him at PF personally but he can play both positions and where you play him kind of depends on who you keep among the bigs going into the future.

I guess I wouldn't want Gay unless he was given away. I know he is worth more then Crabbe but not sure I wouldn't want to even give them a guy like that. I just pass on him period.

12. riverman

riverman Writing Team

Vucevic and Oladipo....I'd make that trade in a heartbeat...Vucevic is the main piece of that trade to me

Nikolokolus, TBpup and KeepOnRollin like this.
  13. Natebishop3

I would too, but that's too much. It would have to be CJ/Vonleh most likely.

14. SlyPokerDog

SlyPokerDog Woof! Staff Member Administrator

I would trade him for 3 of Philly's 1st round draft picks.

HailBlazers and handiman like this.
  15. RR7

RR7 Well-Known Member

I'm looking team by team, for fun.
    East

Cleveland: Lebron, Love, Irving
    Toronto: Maybe Derozan, but that seems irrelevant, since they're in 2nd, so wouldn't move him, and he's a FA.
    Chicago: Butler
    Boston: Nobody straight up
    Atlanta: Likely nobody
    Miami:Nobody(Bosh to a 3rd team for more value our way?)
    Indiana: George
    Detroit: Drummond
    NY:Porzingis
    Charlotte: I'd need more with MKG
    Washington: Wall, to flip elsewhere
    Milwaukee: Middleton, Giannis
    Orlando: Nobody straight up
    Brooklyn: Nobody
    Philly: I'm just not a huge fan of either Noel or Okafor in a straight swap.

West

GS: Curry, Thompson, Draymond
    SA: Kawhi
    OKC: Durant, Westbrook, likely Ibaka as well
    Clippers: Paul, Blake, maybe Jordan as well
    Memphis: Marc
    Dallas: Nobody
    Houston: Harden
    Utah: Favors, maybe on Hayward and Gobert
    Sacramento: Cousins
    New Orleans: Davis
    Denver: Nobody straight up
    Minnesota: Wiggins, Towns
    Phoenix: nobody
    LAL: nobody

Obviously with a lot of teams, if pieces were added up together, I can see a deal I'd probably like.

16. RR7

RR7 Well-Known Member

Hate the thought of that. Oladipo can't shoot, and Vucevic is horrible on defense.

Blazers Roy likes this.
  17. Pinwheel1

Pinwheel1 Well-Known Member

Anxious to see Wiggins tonight. I have heard he has been struggling this year with his shooting. Still a good player, but not the super star associated with the #1 pick.

18. BonesJones

BonesJones https://www.youtube.com/c/blazersuprise

Hell yeah you'd do that. Give them Davis too. We would have the capspace to sign someone like Horford and Durant. I think Horfords gonna leave and Paul George and Lillard could bring him her.

And you can't tell me we wouldn't be one of Durants top choices if we were pitching him a big 4 if he joins Lillard George and Horford

19. Denny Crane

Denny Crane It's not even loaded! Staff Member Administrator

Never lost a case
    FWIW, CJ gets you a Love only if he's worn out his welcome in Cleveland. He hasn't, so there is no such deal. Look for guys the team wants to get rid of and you have potential trade targets.

I don't think anyone wants Plumlee/Leonard as a sweetener for a superstar in return. Why un-consolidate like that?

TBpup likes this.
  20. theprunetang

theprunetang Shaedon "Deadly Nightshade" Sharpe is HIM

I wouldn't trade cj for Wiggins personally. He can score, but he doesn't really do anything else. Sure, there is potential, but he is currently looking like Rudy Gay out there.

riverman and PDXFonz like this.