Who would you trade JRich for?

Discussion in 'Golden State Warriors' started by jason bourne, Nov 22, 2006.

1. jason bourne

jason bourne JBB JustBBall Member

Law enforcement
    Thinking the Unthinkable: Who would you trade JRich for?

I was looking up shooters today since the Warriors seem to be lacking that main ingredient needed to really open up Nellie's offense. Of course, those guys don't grow on trees nor come cheap, so someone like JRich may be needed to bring one here.

I love JRich, and he's improved every year, but he's not a deadly assassin from the perimeter to spot up or play the two to three man game with. And he needs to be a better defender! Have some free throws JRich? Oi vei. Improving his shooting percentage and D would put JRich into the all-star game IMHO.

So here's the list of the best shooters in the NBA today (Some of them aren't the perimeter shooters we are looking for as their FG% age and inside shooting takes precedence. Other names seem to just jump out and grab you):
    Rank Name TSP (true shooting percentage)
    1 Brent Barry .6016
    2 Steve Nash .5908
    3 Peja Stojakovic .5852
    4 Shaquille O'Neal .5840
    5 Alonzo Mourning .5824
    6 Dirk Nowitzki .5793
    7 Wally Szczerbiak .5786
    8 Brad Miller .5754
    9 Dikembe Mutombo .5729
    10 Jon Barry .5719
    11 Corey Maggette .5711
    12 Ray Allen .5708
    13 Bo Outlaw .5706
    14 Andrei Kirilenko .5696
    15 Eric Piatkowski .5675
    16 Richard Jefferson .5669
    17 Chauncey Billups .5651
    18 Pau Gasol .5616
    19 Mike Miller .5603
    20 Michael Redd .5598
    21 Rashard Lewis .5580
    22 Othella Harrington .5562
    23 Gilbert Arenas .5560
    24 Paul Pierce .5555
    25 Eddie Jones .5555
    26 Elton Brand .5542
    27 Shane Battier .5533
    28 Ruben Patterson .5530
    29 Kobe Bryant .5516
    30 Tim Duncan .5510
    31 Shareef Abdur-Rahim .5506
    32 Kelvin Cato .5490
    33 Theo Ratliff .5483
    34 Damon Jones .5481
    35 Dale Davis .5468
    36 Sam Cassell .5468
    37 Grant Hill .5464
    38 Jason Terry .5462
    39 Aaron Williams .5455
    40 Bryon Russell .5452
    41 Raef LaFrentz .5452
    42 Antonio Daniels .5435
    43 Kevin Garnett .5432
    44 Rasheed Wallace .5432
    45 Matt Harpring .5429
    46 Zydrunas Ilgauskas .5418
    47 Brian Grant .5399
    48 Shawn Marion .5398
    49 Jamaal Magloire .5388
    50 Cuttino Mobley .5381

Brent Barry would be a good fit and not be costly as the others, but he is getting up there in age. Will turn 36 in December.

Wally World Szczerbiak? Maybe for Dunleavy, re-signed MP or Murphy and a pick, but it would be tough to give up JRich for him.

Corey Maggette or Ray Allen are two real possibilities except the teams they're on are in our division of conference.

Gilbert Arenas. Trade would be done in a heart beat. That would be an awesome backcourt with Baron - Gil or Monta - Gil.

AK-47? Richard Jefferson? Paul Pierce? Now that's the kind of shopping I like [​IMG].

And KG is in there too [​IMG].

Let the trade ideas begin.

http://www.basketball-reference.com/leaders/TSP_active.html

2. Warriorfansnc93

Warriorfansnc93 JBB JustBBall Member

The ONLY reason why this thread even exists is because Jrich is injured and the players who are supposed to fill because that is there role are doing their jobs! Let Jrich get healthy and get back his rythm and he will be untouchable again. Why trade a borderline all star with a reasonable contract when all you have to replace him is a unexperienced player who is playing great ball in a contract year and he may leave town, and a second year player straight from high school.

3. jason bourne

Law enforcement
    I think Nelson has said pretty much the same thing about keeping JRich and how important he is to the Warriors. He and Mullin will likely be trying to find someone off the scrap pile, e.g. Luke Jackson. They've already tried and missed with Dajuan Wagner. It was unfortunate that Wags could not continue his comeback because of his health. Maybe Anthony Roberson will be able to step it up, but it's tough for a rookie to have to fill that role.

I would be happy to keep JRich. Still, I wouldn't put JRich nor Baron as untouchable. Between the two, it looks like JRich is the more likely candidate this season to be trade fodder. Last season it was Baron. I agree it's because of his injury and slow start, but JRich's perimeter shooting and defense have not been enough to put him into all-star caliber. It doesn't hurt to discuss other possibilities.

4. Run BJM

Run BJM Heavy lies the crown. Staff Member Global Moderator

I wouldn't be going around looking to move J-Rich because the players we'd get back wouldn't be worth what he is worth to us. If we do move him it should be in a package for a disgruntled player whose trade value is lower than usual where we get a clear upgrade.

5. jason bourne

Law enforcement
    If we could get KG for a package of JRich and any other Warriors except Baron, Monta and AB, then that would be a great trade. Baron, Monta, AB, KG and anyone else could challenge for a spot in the POs.

6. Custodianrules2

Custodianrules2 Cohan + Rowell = Suck

I'd trade Jrich for a player that could do what he can do offensively and what he can't do defensively or creating for others with the ball or at the foul line. [​IMG] He is hard to replace for 20ppg scorer. Even if we find the excellent prototype guy out of college that's nba ready, what happens if he's a role player like Dunleavy? We'd repeat the Jamison-Dunleavy debacle, which fortunately for us turned into Baron Davis. Whew.

I like guys like Ray Allen/Michael Redd/Allan Houston. To me those are shooting guards. A luxury would be to have Kobe or Tmac or Vince Carter or the young Afernee Hardaway. Those guys are such marvelous ballhandlers and passers they could play some point, but they score from anywhere and at the rim. Still... 45% field goal overall.

If we have to go with a power guard, I'd go with Paul Pierce simply because he's from Oakland, and he's a better player than Jrich IMO. He gets free throws. He gets rebounds. He gets assists. He can handle the ball. The problem is he's got a crappy shot selection.

7. Custodianrules2

Man, I love Jrich, but if we had Paul Pierce that'd be awesome. I think he's bigger than Jrich too so he could play legit SF. Pierce is a lot older, but the guy is built like a rock. Good mix of athleticism, quickness, and strength. And he doesn't choke much in the 4th compared to some of our other guys.

8. AlleyOop

AlleyOop JBB JustBBall Member

After tonight's show of heart against Denver, it would be very difficult for me to trade JRich. Not only did he come up big with one leg, but there was a time out when Nellie ripped into him for poor defense and he took it like a man, like a leader, and took responsibility for it in front of his teammates. Hats off to that guy

9. Kwan1031

Kwan1031 JBB JustBBall Member

Did we forget what Richardson did in last 5 years or he is playing with one leg? Did we forget that Monta played less than a half of season?

There is waaaaaaaay too much trust on Monta at this point. So much trust that people are even willing to trade Richardson to give Monta a starting gig while basically ignoring what Richardson did for last 5 years. There is no question that Monta has a great talent, and I have a little doubt that he will be a great player. However, part of the reason why he is doing so well is because he is quick, skilled, and other teams didn't make adjustments against him yet. There are tons of promising players, who couldn't counter-adjust and eventually became role players. Richardson overcame number of obstacles. Let Monta prove himself that he can still excel when other teams focus on him.

Monta is 6'3", 177 lb. If he ever plans to become a superstar in this league, he must be a PG, not SG. While he is quick, his body just can't take poundings against 6'7" 225 lb SG for 82 games.

Richardson may not be a pure shooter, but he is a career 45% / 35% 3 pts shooters. He has mix of speed / strength / inside / outside / rebounding / steal / assist, and not many swingmen has total package like Richardson. Sure, I would gladly trade Richardson for James, but that's not going to happen. At this point, it would be extremely hard to find Richardson like players with 12 mils per year tag.

If we trade Richardson to get legit big men like KG, at least the rumor has some merit. However, if we are thinking about trading Richardson for another swingman, I simply don't see any reason to do so. Also, there is no reason for teams like Boston to swap Pierce for Richardson either.

At this point, we have no reason to trade Richardson. He is recovering from the knee surgery, and he will only get better. He proved himself for last 5 years, and his presence isn't threatening Monta's chance either. Also, we have financial problem, and his contract is the only contract we can 'dump' pretty quickly. If we trade Richardson's contract for some other contracts like Davis, which we may not be able to dump as easy as Richardson, we may not be able to resign either Biedrins or Monta. Maybe the situation will be changed as the season goes on. But, now is definitely not a right time to think about trading Richardson. Just imagine if we dumped Davis, just because he was less than excellent last year...

10. AnimeFANatic

AnimeFANatic JBB JustBBall Member

11. kobe23

kobe23 JBB JustBBall Member

College Undergrad
    <div class="quote_poster">custodianrules2 Wrote</div><div class="quote_post">I'd trade Jrich for a player that could do what he can do offensively and what he can't do defensively or creating for others with the ball or at the foul line. [​IMG] He is hard to replace for 20ppg scorer. Even if we find the excellent prototype guy out of college that's nba ready, what happens if he's a role player like Dunleavy? We'd repeat the Jamison-Dunleavy debacle, which fortunately for us turned into Baron Davis. Whew.

I like guys like Ray Allen/Michael Redd/Allan Houston. To me those are shooting guards. A luxury would be to have Kobe or Tmac or Vince Carter or the young Afernee Hardaway. Those guys are such marvelous ballhandlers and passers they could play some point, but they score from anywhere and at the rim. Still... 45% field goal overall.

If we have to go with a power guard, I'd go with Paul Pierce simply because he's from Oakland, and he's a better player than Jrich IMO. He gets free throws. He gets rebounds. He gets assists. He can handle the ball. The problem is he's got a crappy shot selection.</div>

Kobe shoots .504 FG%

12. Warriorfansnc93

Warriorfansnc93 JBB JustBBall Member

I dont mind trading Jrich for someone like a KG, that is a no brainer, but to trade him for some of the guys on your list like Brent Barry, I dont think so...

13. jason bourne

Law enforcement
    <div class="quote_poster">AlleyOop Wrote</div><div class="quote_post">After tonight's show of heart against Denver, it would be very difficult for me to trade JRich. Not only did he come up big with one leg, but there was a time out when Nellie ripped into him for poor defense and he took it like a man, like a leader, and took responsibility for it in front of his teammates. Hats off to that guy</div>

I hear what you're saying. JRich played his heart out last night. Still, we need someone who will draw fouls, go to the line and make them. JRich does two out of the three. He needs to make free throws. If he wants to be an all-star, then he needs to do this.

14. Kwan1031

Kwan1031 JBB JustBBall Member

<div class="quote_poster">kobe23 Wrote</div><div class="quote_post">Kobe shoots .504 FG%</div>

This season, yes. Overall, 45%...

15. Custodianrules2

<div class="quote_poster">kobe23 Wrote</div><div class="quote_post">Kobe shoots .504 FG%</div>

So far in what? 10 games? Try career average and once the 82 game season is over.

If we're talking efficient players, Kobe is very efficient if he's got reliable team players and he's not having to take these crazy MJ type shots. Kobe is especially more efficient if other guys can score inside, shoot outside, and they've got some defense.

16. Custodianrules2

<div class="quote_poster">Kwan1031 Wrote</div><div class="quote_post">This season, yes. Overall, 45%...</div>

Awww, Kwan, beat me to it. [​IMG]

17. Custodianrules2

<div class="quote_poster">jason voorhees Wrote</div><div class="quote_post">I hear what you're saying. JRich played his heart out last night. Still, we need someone who will draw fouls, go to the line and make them. JRich does two out of the three. He needs to make free throws. If he wants to be an all-star, then he needs to do this.</div>

I agree, there is upside in Jrich having been able to average 4 trips to the foul line per game to almost 6 at 5.5 trips per game last year.

http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/players/3515

Now, he's just got to make them.

It could have increased his scoring average to the realm of Carmelo Anthony or Michael Redd (25ppg or 27ppg). Jrich's average score per game is already good when he lets the game come to him. His fg% was very high last season and his three point shooting was dramatically improved, but when he can't screw up that potential to do damage at the line. Once he's got healthy he's got to show more ball control and work on his free throws. It's all mental with Jrich and these turnover with the ball and botched free throws he makes. I guess jrich isn't as bad some players can be. Check out Antoine Walker for missing free throws and look at Carmelo Anthony turning over the ball constantly. Melo's assist to turnover ratio sucks pretty badly.

18. Legacy

Legacy Beast

You guys would think about trading JRich? I love the guy and is one of my favorite Warrior players of all time. That's like trading Kobe off of the Lakers or Kidd off of the Nets.

19. Custodianrules2

<div class="quote_poster">Carter Wrote</div><div class="quote_post">You guys would think about trading JRich? I love the guy and is one of my favorite Warrior players of all time. That's like trading Kobe off of the Lakers or Kidd off of the Nets.</div>

Kobe and Kidd are franchise difference makers especially in playoffs, whereas Jrich still has to achieve that. But I know what you are talking about. He is my fave too. He cannot help it if the guys surrounding him are too injured or too unskilled to play playoff caliber ball. Jrich hasn't made playoffs before, but I bet he could help a team in that area similar to how Shawn Marion isn't that great all on his own or maybe like Paul Pierce. Those two players are good, but they can't do anything to make others that much better.

20. AnimeFANatic

AnimeFANatic JBB JustBBall Member

Everyone is so quick to judge JRich after 10 games it makes me kind of sad. The dude isn't even 100% yet.

Invalid Video Link