who's better for us in the long run?

Discussion in 'Oklahoma City Thunder' started by cigawutwut, Nov 11, 2003.

1. cigawutwut

cigawutwut JBB JustBBall Member

Im losing sleep over this. Do we trade a big name in Allen for big man? Do we trade a young, rising star in Murray for a less talented big man? Maybe I'm wrong, maybe Murray will score like 2ppg for the next 10 games, (but that's unlikely). Do we build the franchise around Rid, Shard, Murray, And COllison? they are all under 25 if Im not wrong. Or do we keep both allen and murray and stay with a pathetic inside presence?

Murray:
    great shooter, young, improving, quick, creative at times

Allen:
    28 years old, makes the team better, slightly past his prime it seems, great shooter, smart, may be injury prone.

I am dying here. For right now, I say we keep both, no blockbuster trades, see who works out better, than make a trade in the offseason (after the draft)
    Next year, we will have a developed ridnour, two good sg's, shard, collison back, and Barry, Radman, and Allen or murray may be traded for hopefully a real good center (no ideas right now).

i hate to say trade, cuz i love'em both, but you'll never go anywhere without taking risks in life. So it's killing me right now, but then again maybe Murray was a four game fluke, but I seriously doubt it.
    Best case scenario:
    someday Rid, Murray/allen, Lewis, Collison, and a quality big man will take the league by storm.

2. Sir Desmond

Sir Desmond JBB Stig!

Bottom line is you very rarely can trade a guard for a bigman and come out with equal value. Seattle's bench isn't strong at the moment, I think when Ray comes back it will be great to have a guy like Flip off the bench who can produce straight away and give a bit of energy - like Dez Mason used to do. It also means they don't have to rush Ray back at all cos they have a guy who can fill in fine for him, and considering Ray and Barry are both far from reliable heathwise, it's great to have Murray as a proven performer.

You gotta rebuild through the draft and free-agency I think. James and Booth are both tied up in untradable contracts for the time being, and Collison's a lottery pick. See where the backcourt takes us this year, then draft a centre and look at the free agecy crops. Schultz and Sund have let it know we're rebuilding, I say leave it as it is.

3. cigawutwut

cigawutwut JBB JustBBall Member

If we are rebuilding, then what's all this about fifty wins? But sir dez, i gotta hand it to you. You really know what your talking about. What scares me is that shareef wants to be traded, and there will likely be a blockbuster trade by the deadline. the Management knows that we need a post up player (shareef) and inside defense (ratliff). Allen did a lot for us last year year, and it shouldnt be ignored. I think we missed him against the hawks when we shot 1-18 from downtown. But Sund might see that we would have rid, murray, lewis, shareef, and ratliff in our staring lineup (saying we throw barry in the deal) and go for it. time will tell i guess

4. Sir Desmond

Sir Desmond JBB Stig!

I think the 50 wins talk has come on top of an unexpected start to the season - I don't think we'll get there, but considering the start we've had management are obviously thinking about what could happen if we kept on a roll. I think McMillan has instilled a certain style of play that relies around transition offense and jump shooters, and this is because we have the players for this. Collison's gonna be a solid 10/10 guy, but I think Seattle in the next 4-5 years will go wherever Rashard, Ray, Flip, Radman and Ridnour take them, and it will be perimeter based just like Dallas.

I don't think we'll trade for a PF, cos Collison was drafted to fill a need and the team isn't worried about winning straight away. Radmanovic is developing - a centre would be nice, but again I don't see what we could trade to get one who's an upgrade over what we've got. What sticks with me is a quote Nate made after the Atlanta loss - "This year we're a running and shooting team, next year we'll be a running and scoring team."

5. mike18946

mike18946 JBB

If you want to win trading for shareef would be a bad mistake...He is no leader he is also not a guy you want with the ball when it counts near the end of a big game.Allen to me should be untouchable...Murray the way he is playing will have some trade value.The best bet is to clear some cap room so you can go after a big man in next years free agent market.There are some good big men out there next summer that are worth going after.

6. Sir Desmond

Sir Desmond JBB Stig!

Spot on Allnet, problem is the only way to clear caproom for us would be to move James or Booth for an expiring contract which would be near impossible, and Ray Allen will be offered an extension at the end of the season too so it doesn't leave a lot of room to manoveur. I think the smartest way to go would be sit on what we've got (unless an offer comes up that obviously makes us better, doubtful) and just keep an eye out for bargains in the draft/free agency period

7. Quyen

Quyen JBB JustBBall Member

:sighs: no one trades RAY ALLEN. alright? lol is that clear?...hmm, I hope we could get some defensive players...but egh, unlikely.

8. Sir Desmond

Sir Desmond JBB Stig!

<div class="quote_poster">Quoting anadagirlballer4strt:</div><div class="quote_post">:sighs: no one trades RAY ALLEN. alright? lol is that clear?...hmm, I hope we could get some defensive players...but egh, unlikely.</div>

[​IMG] I think we're going the Dallas Mavericks and Real Madrid FC approach - who gives how much the opposition scores, as long as we score more!