Why a mega-deal isn’t Derrick Rose’s top priority in free agency

Discussion in 'New York Knicks' started by truebluefan, Feb 17, 2017.

1. truebluefan

truebluefan Administrator Staff Member Administrator

Derrick Rose isn't sure where he's going to play next season, or even next month. He understands the business of basketball better these days, having been traded by his hometown team about seven months ago.

To put it mildly, Rose's future in New York is tenuous as he enters a trade deadline and free agency.

Acquired in the summer with the hope that he'd fit and sign long-term, the point guard's play has been sporadic and was marred by a decision to go AWOL for a game last month. Through all of it — the disappearance, the civil trial, the losing — Rose said he has not spoken to brass about his future.

But it seems everybody is getting rewarded with monster contracts these days in the NBA's free agency, and Rose told the Daily News that his humble upbringing has made it impossible to ignore the mega-deals distributed to guys like Mike Conley Jr. ($153 million). Even if it's not his top priority.

"See it here and there but it doesn't drive me anymore. Like I always been driven by playing basketball and wanting to be the best. Like (money) numbers, of course you got to know it because of how I grew up," Rose told the News. "I grew up around the streets. Hustling. You see numbers, you can't look over them. But I'm just happy that I have an opportunity for them to see how I perform and let them see what I'm worth."

According to ESPN, Rose will be seeking a max contract in free agency. With Chris Paul, Steph Curry, Kyle Lowry, Jeff Teague and Jrue Holiday all coming off contracts this summer, Rose might be the seventh best point guard in the 2017 class, depending on your ranking

- See more at: http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/b...e=twitter.com&utm_campaign=NYDNSports Twitter