Politics Why Do Obese Patients Get Worse Care? Many Doctors Don’t See Past the Fat

Discussion in 'Blazers OT Forum' started by Denny Crane, Sep 26, 2016.

1. Denny Crane

Denny Crane It's not even loaded! Staff Member Administrator

Never lost a case
    http://www.nytimes.com/2016/09/26/health/obese-patients-health-care.html?_r=0

One in three Americans is obese, a rate that has been steadily growing for more than two decades, but the health care system — in its attitudes, equipment and common practices — is ill prepared, and its practitioners are often unwilling, to treat the rising population of fat patients.

The difficulties range from scales and scanners, like M.R.I. machines that are not built big enough for very heavy people, to surgeons who categorically refuse to give knee or hip replacements to the obese, to drug doses that have not been calibrated for obese patients. The situation is particularly thorny for the more than 15 million Americans who have extreme obesity — a body mass index of 40 or higher — and face a wide range of health concerns.

Part of the problem, both patients and doctors say, is a reluctance to look beyond a fat person’s weight. Patty Nece, 58, of Alexandria, Va., went to an orthopedist because her hip was aching. She had lost nearly 70 pounds and, although she still had a way to go, was feeling good about herself. Until she saw the doctor.

2. bodyman5000 and 1

bodyman5000 and 1 Lions, Tigers, Me, Bears

When I was 35 I had to have my gall bladder removed. I needed a heart test done on some machine before my surgery. I was 407lbs and the table built for this 88 billion dollar machine was rated at 400 lbs. I had to stay an extra day in the hospital because they had to schedule a different test for the next day.

It was just a metal table, I wasn't too big to fit just too heavy for it.

At my work we have cheap bumper stands that are rated for 500lbs.

3. Denny Crane

Never lost a case
    Government dietary policy has created this obesity epidemic and it's costing the taxpayer and stupid ObamaCare.

4. barfo

barfo triggered obsessive commie pinko Staff Member Global Moderator

Yeah, it doesn't have anything to do with people buying junk food and being couch potatoes. It's that damn government!

Whatever happened to the 'individual responsibility' mantra? Did the big bad government force you to eat twinkies (or whatever it is you have decided is the culprit), Denny?

If the government didn't force you to eat a particular diet, then what are you complaining about? You are a free man, eat what you please, and blame yourself.

barfo

5. riverman

riverman Writing Team

The FDC is profit driven but I disagree with your point...the govt is not in the parenting business...we all have free will and sugar addiction starts early...usually supplied by sugar addicted parents....choices...this isn't N Korea where there's only cabbage and onions on the store shelves...advertisers on TV are more to blame than the govt....they turned candy into cartoons and sold the hell out of it at every entertainment outlet...movies, ballgames, county fairs....the govt doesn't make folks drink gallons of soda pop or eat skittles..people started these habits long before Obama care and we've always had to pay for folks with diabetes, etc...that hasn't really changed other than the fact that we now see what the result of 50 years or so of sugar guzzling does to the human body...

blue32 likes this.
  6. MARIS61

MARIS61 Real American

retired Yankee
    The comments here are part of the problem. There is simply no general knowledge in our society about the many medical reasons people struggle and often lose the battle with fat and cellulite. Much like a cancerous tumor it often cannot be simply prevented or cured by diet or exercise, or anything yet known to medical science. Drugs are not a solution, so there is no profit in researching it or teaching about it in medical schools.

https://ww2.kqed.org/futureofyou/20...r-that-millions-have-but-no-one-has-heard-of/

7. Denny Crane

Never lost a case
    When government subsidizes 1/2 of food production, they have a say. Hell, government drives the use of corn for fuel. Ethanol.

It's true that people are eating more calories, but almost all of the increase vs. 30 years ago is pure sugar.

Because of the government, if you were to remove all the foods with high fructose corn syrup, there would be 20%, maybe, of the foods left. Sure people don't educate themselves on what to eat, but they don't expect the foods promoted by government to be toxic.

People weren't obese before the McGovern Commission.

The damage caused is reflected in our health care expenses. Just brilliant social planning in action.

8. Denny Crane

Never lost a case
    Read up on the McGovern Commission.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/United_States_Senate_Select_Committee_on_Nutrition_and_Human_Needs

riverman likes this.
  9. MarAzul

MarAzul LongShip

Life is good!
    Walk careful move slowly around the police. I imagine you might look like a bad man. Tiny tables is just a mild concern.

10. riverman

riverman Writing Team

That was a great read, interesting..appreciate the link but still, how many obese people today have read that report....probably very few and although politics and the GNP are linked as far as regulations and funding...they are not the sugar, cattle, tobacco or dairy industries....those lobbyists pay for advertising and profited. Some like tobacco and sugar...were selling sickness really from the start...there are still undernourished kids living on welfare beans and cheese. The folks I see today suffering from obesity, however seem to be doing so by choice, not directives or authority.

11. riverman

riverman Writing Team

This is simply not correct....I had relatives that were all obese in the early 60's, they visited our farm and had a trunk full of coca cola...I'd never seen people consume soda pop like that...I've seen malnourished and overfed people throughout my travels and life..and for the most part....the malnourished were truly victims and the overfed, just appetite addicted. I'm not saying people aren't obese because of glandular conditions, etc..because there are those people but go to Walmart and look around....these folks eat like it's a sport

12. Denny Crane

Never lost a case
    The only people that matters, reading the report, is the food producers. They're filling the stores with government approved foods. Low fat. Farms have bred pigs for lean meat. Without fat, you need 2x the carbs or protein in replacement, to come up with the same number of calories as the high fat diet. Without fat, food tastes like crap, so they add the hfcs and sugars.

Get government involved, and it will get bought.

13. Denny Crane

Never lost a case
    The obesity rate was well under 10%, maybe 5% even. It's 33% now. Go ahead and quibble.

14. bodyman5000 and 1

I'm only 319 now but I'm mmuuuucccccchhhh scarier.

MarAzul, riverman and blue32 like this.
  15. riverman

riverman Writing Team

I should add that although I've never had food addictions, I have struggled with tobacco since I was 18 and only over the past few years beat it...but like AA it's one day at a time.....a good cigar could ruin all my progress...I'm as flawed as anyone when it comes to that one.

16. riverman

riverman Writing Team

It's only natural that it would increase, don't you think? But it existed and grew with an entire culture to support it...no matter who was president

17. bodyman5000 and 1

I gained 60lbs after that hospital stay and I was scary, people were scared I'd fall on them and suffocate them.

18. barfo

barfo triggered obsessive commie pinko Staff Member Global Moderator

From your link:

I really don't know what you have to complain about. The government didn't force you to eat a bunch of sugar. They told you not to. You did anyway.

A libertarian should know that responsibility comes with freedom.

barfo

riverman likes this.
  19. Denny Crane

Never lost a case
    No. it is not natural. Quite the opposite.

They're making food in laboratories and factories, instead of growing it or feeding it.

What happened in 1980? McGovern.

[​IMG]

20. Denny Crane

Never lost a case
    Keep reading.

Under heavy pressure, the committee held further hearings, and issued a revised set of guidelines in late 1977 which adjusted some of the advice regarding salt and cholesterol and watered down the wording regarding meat consumption.[2]

The government made 80% of food in the stores full of sugar. That's a fact.