Why do people watch?

Discussion in 'New York Yankees' started by Hammerojustice, Jul 7, 2014.

1. Hammerojustice

Hammerojustice Chief Caveman, Keeper of Thor's Hammer

2. Rick2583

Rick2583 Chairman of the board

3. Hammerojustice

That's cause you're in your twilight years... ;)

4. Rick2583

No its because this shit called reality television is making so-called celebrities out of nobody's. Just look at the crap like Jersey shore & The Kardashians.

5. Hammerojustice

^^^ Busting you chops

6. Rick2583

I know.

7. yankeesince59

yankeesince59 "Oh Captain, my Captain".

...I can't believe they have the gall to call it "reality TV" when there's clearly nothing "real" about it.

8. Mattingly23NY

Mattingly23NY Turning Fastballs Into Souveneir's ~

Ret. Quality OPS/Engr. Mgr.
    I quit watching the HR Derby, after Bobby Abreu won it, (with the exception of 1 or 2 since, bit and pieces, eg.)....Quit watching it, as it did f'k up Bobby's swing...for quit some time...

I don't care for the Celeb Softball at all. One of my 1st celeb-BB Softball Games, was the Cast and Crew of Happy Days, (Ronnie Howard, Fonzarella-Winkler, & so on), play a pre-game of Softball vs. the Bums Old Timers....(the hour prior to the Bums-Giants Game).
    Only the Old Timers made it worth the watch. The Cast was sitting 2 rows in front of us the entire Bums Game; (field level, behind 1st base dugout)... 1st year of Happy Days too. Not my show, but that of many....

Other than the A.S. game, I take as much delight & look forward maybe even moreso to The Futures Game.....been my favorite over the last 9 years. In 05, we had Verlander, Hanley Ramirez, E. Encarnarcion, N. Cruz, B.J. Upton, C & D. Young, S.Choo, F. Liriano, K.Thompson, C. Jackson, M. Montero, just to name a few....

The Future Stars of MLB, often.....! Alot of Great MLB Players, some of the best, have appeared in The Future's Game.

9. Hammerojustice

I would say the early survivor seasons and then things like Dancing with the Stars, American Idol (barf), America's got Talent, X-factor, etc are probably as close to reality as can be, but things like the Khardasians or housewives or things like that are clearly fabricated and scripted...

10. Hammerojustice

I don't like the playing for home-field advantage in the WS format they currently have...

I don't like that every team has to have a player represent their team...

I hate that the managers pick and choose... Bias is clearly rampant... i.e. a Red Sox manager would be unlikely to pick a Yankee and visa versa... same for Cards/Cubs/Reds... Same for Dodgers/Giants... It should be all fans input....

11. Rick2583

Now that its come out of late that 90% of these so-called reality shows are scripted I'm really surprised people still watch them. And yet they keep coming out with more & more of them. I just saw a new one advertised called "Married at first site" From what I understand of it a computer puts two people together with similar interests but here's the kick, they don't meet until they see each other at the church where these two complete strangers are (supposedly) legally married. The camera's follow them around for 6 weeks or so at which time the couples decide if they want to remain married. In today's paper they showed the 3 couples & all of them looked like they stepped off the pages of GQ or glamour magazines. But I'm sure that's just a coincidence. Sounds really dumb.

12. Hammerojustice

That is effing stupid as hell

13. Mattingly23NY

You know what blows my mind sometimes, is when I was a kid, we got only CBS, ABC, and NBC on TV, it would be years later when we could get other channels, all via Antennae, with but 7 channels.

Now with Cable and DTV, I get over 450 channels, and so often there is NOT a Damn thing on TV worth watching....I don't get it...!

14. Rick2583

Tell me about it. Who thinks this shit up?

15. Mattingly23NY

I agree its flawed, a systemic failure....!

Not sure how to determine Home Field advantage, other than give it to the AL or NL Team with the most wins during the season?

Or-simply rotate the Home Field advantage every other year, from the NL to the AL. That's as fair as it can get IMO.

The Bias sux....and is quit obvious....plus.....with each fan getting up to 35 A.S. votes, this system too is flawed, yet the snubs need to be corrected. Some players get in that are borderline or less deserving, while others sit out not picked....

Good valid points Hammer, worth trouble shooting for ideas....!

I'm not sure if the Fans voted for the entire Roster, if we'd get more or less snubs. Yet, it is a game created for the pleasure of the Fans...!

"Let's Play Two"

16. Hammerojustice

Home field advantage wasn't an issue before the decision of the winner of the All-Star game (ASG) gets it... It used to be (and still should be) best team in baseball gets home field... bar none... I don't even like the idea of rotating it... Best team should get it!

The current set-up for the ASG is fans vote starters and last man in... manager currently votes in everyone else...

And as far as fans voting go, I don't think 35 votes is really out of question... I think most of the current starters deserve to be in... if it was just people voting their teams players in, fans of the most popular team in each division would likely populate far more starting spots... e.g. Yankees or Sox and Cardinals, Cubs, Giants, or Dodgers... There were quite a few teams represented by starters...

17. Rick2583

Deciding HFA for the winner of what is basically an exhibition was one of the dumbest things Selig ever did. I agree Steve best team period.

18. Hammerojustice

I think there are far too many things Selig did that were in the dumbest thing ever category...

19. Hammerojustice

This? http://www.fyi.tv/shows/married-at-first-sight?mkwid=nXauLrHz|c_pcrid_4310807282_pkw_married%20at%20first%20sight_pmt_e&utm_source=[channel]&utm_medium=cpc&utm_term=married%20at%20first%20sight&utm_campaign=M_Married+at+First+Sight&paidlink=1&cmpid=PaidSearch_[channel]_M_Married+at+First+Sight_married%20at%20first%20sight

20. Rick2583