Why is the Blazers broadcast so terrible?

Discussion in 'Portland Trail Blazers' started by Hey, Jan 24, 2011.

1. Hey

Hey Active Member

Seriously though. First off, the commercials are just terrible. The logos are terrible. The video editors seem like they don't know how to use a decent software program. Honestly theres community college students at Mt. Hood that can produce more professional quality broadcasts.

I also don't understand why they haven't hired anyone to do the court reporting. Porter obviously didn't work so now they're going with Michael Holton who's a bit bearable.

All of it just seems so low budget. Maybe because it is, but still.

2. EL PRESIDENTE

EL PRESIDENTE Username Retired in Honor of Lanny.

Always been way too cheesy.always.even the 90s were bad

X

3. MickZagger

MickZagger Well-Known Member

UPS
    I watch the games for basketball, I could really give two shits about logo's and such.

4. RipCityInsider

RipCityInsider Nice Season Blazers

"Believe me, I would know if they dropped the ball."

5. BLAZER PROPHET

BLAZER PROPHET Well-Known Member

dental malpractice claims adjuster
    Seems OK to me.

6. Mediocre Man

Mediocre Man Mr. SportsTwo

I watch a lot of league pass, and the Blazer broadcasts don't seem any better or worse than anyone elses?

7. Hey

Hey Active Member

Perhaps it just bothers me because I use to major in Graphic Design

8. THE HCP

THE HCP NorthEastPortland'sFinest

Hey ,Hey. Maybe you should go down and apply for a position with Blazer Broadcasting and apply your experience and expertise to their show.

9. MIXUM

MIXUM Suspended

radio/mixmaster/club jock/syndication programmer
  10. illmatic99

illmatic99 formerly yuyuza1

The production quality is pretty weak, but it's similar to most other NBA teams' broadcasts. Lakers, Clippers, Nets, and Knicks have some of the best from what I've seen.

11. RipCityInsider

RipCityInsider Nice Season Blazers

All those teams you mentioned are in the biggest markets, correlation perhaps?

12. Natebishop3

Natebishop3 Don't tread on me!

Did he strike a nerve? :devilwink:

13. Hey

Hey Active Member

Well I wouldn't be able to snag a job because I've switched majors and have no degree in the field. Also I never completed school for it so there's plenty I don't know. I'm not claiming I personally can do better, but I have an eye for the stuff. The art field of work today is so competitive that businesses don't have to take that much effort into finding people that will do the trick. Even if the Blazers paid a bare 30k salary per team member, that could still get people out there that have some sense of what 2011 professionalism looks like. Some of the video and photo effects used in the Comcast sports stuff looks like stuff made from an amateur honestly. I don't know if the budget is on Comcast or Paul Allen. Whatever it is, even if they paid minimum wage, if they looked hard enough they could find a lot of designers and artists that could do better. Putting an un-trained Terry Porter out there after Rebecca left just showed me that they didn't put much effort into it.

One example: the commercial with a black background and a Blazers logo with smoking coming up. The effect looks unbelievably cheesy. The acting is so terrible, it's as if they don't even do double-takes in an attempt to save film. I've seen the way B-Roy talks and acts in an official NBA commercial and also ones he does for Comcast and Ford. The difference is night and day. It's like the director doesn't even tell them to try to act interested.

14. THE HCP

Not at all. At the league meetings in NYC, our broadcasts are used as a positive example of how to cover basketball. We actually get props. And the funny thing is the other cat that works with me and I WENT thru Mt. Hood's TV program. I was just saying if he feels he can help us, then he should attempt to join us.

15. Hey

Hey Active Member

Sorry, I don't mean to offend or stir a reaction as I'm aware you do put in plenty of hard work. I know that the effects and looks aren't the only things that are going on in the production. There's just some things where I look at and I'm like "wow, they just increased the outer glow x 500 to make that text stand out".

16. Natebishop3

On another note, is it funny that I can tell whether the Blazers are winning or losing based on the inflection in Wheels voice? I can turn to 95.5 and within one or two seconds I can tell how bad it's going based on how depressed Wheels sounds.

17. chris_in_pdx

chris_in_pdx OLD SCHOOL

Oh that's been the case for YEARS. Nothing new there.

Schonley, for all of his faults, didn't sound like he wanted to shoot himself when the team was losing.

18. Natebishop3

It's really bad. I honestly can't listen to Wheels if the team is losing.

19. THE HCP

I wasn't offended. I work in the broadcast industry for everybody from the Blazers, to ESPN,TNT,Golf Ch and so on. I am curious if you have the NBA league pass and are able to watch other broadcasts? No shows are perfect, but like I said, we get compliments all the time on our broadcasts and was wondering if you are able to compare ours.

20. Hey

Hey Active Member

I suppose I'm just comparing it to those major broadcasters. Like MLB and NFL on Fox or CBS or NBC. NBC Sunday night football looks fabulous. (http://cdx.dexigner.com/article/10537/NBC_NFL_Troika_02_thumb.jpg) But of course, these are the big boys of national TV so it's definitely unfair to compare them to a local broadcast in a small-town. I've seen a few other teams too, and I catch the Seawhawks stuff too.

Forgive me when I asked why the broadcast is so terrible. I don't mean it as a whole because you guys do run a consistent and smooth show. My only gripe is the way it looks. Whoever heads the graphic design area could use a few tips.