Exclusive Why We Lack Ball Movement

Discussion in 'Portland Trail Blazers' started by BonesJones, Nov 25, 2018.

1. BonesJones

BonesJones https://www.youtube.com/c/blazersuprise

2. TorturedBlazerFan

TorturedBlazerFan Well-Known Member

Baby Daddy
    was just about to ask you when this was going up. I need a therapy session by the way lol.

BonesJones likes this.
  3. TorturedBlazerFan

Baby Daddy
    https://www.playartpro.com/basketball/play/designer

Listening to you and it came to mind that I feel like I could draw out the Blazers like 4 offensive sets in about 5 minutes. I absolutely don't get why there's so much player movement 20-25 feet away from the basket. It's been brought up how much some of our players run. Of course they get tired when they're running around in circle way out of range of anything meaningful. We get over played because EVERYONE knows what were doing. When they run the flare screen's towards the baselines you can see the opponents can see it coming.

Also ET as your main "distributor" for long stretches is just poor offense, because he's not an offensive threat outside of like 10 feet. I don't even like how they're using Dame and CJ off the ball, it's a lot of pointless running, it's not about getting them good open shots. So to me ET is just not a good option to run the offense through. For CJ when he's on the ball, the problem is if his initial pass isn't there get has a tendency to get tunnel vision, but I think he can play within the offense well most of the time. CJ may make the best skip passes on the team, but he doesn't really get credit for that.

My only response about the freelancing, is the offense doesn't have a ton of reads, where there's a bunch of options, the plays end up doing the same thing.

Good video, pretty much agree with all of it.

BBert and BonesJones like this.
  4. BonesJones

Agh, I should've mentioned this!

But yeah, all these reasons are why I don't think that our perceived "lack of talent" is to blame. I've seen far less talented team play a better and more productive style of basketball than this. Hopefully it improves tonight.

5. KingSpeed

KingSpeed Veteran

actor
    Better than 12-7 in West? Or does our A+ defense cover for our horrible offense?

6. JDC

JDC Well-Known Member

And there's also far more talented teams playing worse.

They're many ebbs and flows to a season, we'll get back on track soon enough.

TorturedBlazerFan likes this.
  7. beast crnjo

beast crnjo Well-Known Member

We definitely have ball movement issues,but I still don't think it's clear that Stotts is the problem and not the fact that our primary ball handlers like to look for their own shot. Also, something to keep in mind is Portland is #7 in offensive efficiency but #17 in defensive efficiency, so it's hard to blame offense. But our offense has failed us in key moments. But much of that has been Millard not playing well imo.

8. BonesJones

Less talented teams can play a better style but play worse because their lack of talent means they can't convert the opportunities they get. We have two very good 1-on-1 players so our style of basketball doesn't hurt us as much as most teams (it still hurts us though). If we played a more productive style with our talent, I think we'd reach a level that we haven't seen with this roster.

9. BonesJones

Did you not watch the video...?

10. BonesJones

I love how I address arguments like this in the video and then they're still made...

11. TorturedBlazerFan

Baby Daddy
    So I guess when I say "lack of talent" I'm saying I don't think they have championship level talent. They're not a terrible roster. I think Coaching could definitely push them up towards a borderline WCF team, with the changes were talking about, ball movement, player movement, and in other threads defense. Maybe I'm not reading your posts correctly, but I feel like when I say "lack of talent" it's being taken as well I think the roster is bad. I think the talent is good, above average, solid, with a Dame!! I feel like with Stotts we've proven were kind of just a playoff team. With a different coach we could be one of those teams that could realistically find ourselves playing in the 2nd round competitively and heck maybe find ourselves playing GS in the WCF. With coaching and roster moves I think they could be a legit contender and challenger to GS. Does that make more sense?

Yes less talented teams have had more success, or whatever I'm not argueing that, I guess I believe there is a "cap" on the team as constructed, but I also believe a change of coaches could raise that cap, and good roster moves and a change of coaches could raise it even more.

12. BonesJones

I'm simply saying, the differences in talent between good and bad NBA teams doesn't really affect how well they run a team offense, unless they have 0 shooting. There's no reason we can't play the same style that Golden State does outside of Draymond being a ball handler. He doesn't make tough passes that Aminu couldn't make. We wouldn't be as good as them because we're not as talented, but we could play the same style.

13. TorturedBlazerFan

Baby Daddy
    I'm with you on that, I'm not sure we (maybe just me) were communicating our thoughts very well, so I apologize for arguing with you all night.

BonesJones likes this.
  14. BonesJones

Lol it's all good.

15. KingSpeed

KingSpeed Veteran

actor
    Ugh. I have to watch the video to have a discussion here?

16. BonesJones

This thread was created to have a discussion about what is said in the video. On talking points that I present in it.

17. TorturedBlazerFan

Baby Daddy
    Well it is a thread titled, the same as a video posted in the 1st post. So the thread was obviously started to discuss his video. So I guess the answer is it’s not required, but it would make sense if you want to address what he said in the video, that you should watch the video.

BonesJones likes this.