Wilkinson Unlikely to be Drafted

Discussion in 'NBA Draft' started by Shapecity, May 26, 2005.

1. Shapecity

Shapecity S2/JBB Teamster Staff Member Administrator

<div class="quote_poster">Quote:</div><div class="quote_post">Majerus said Marquette point guard Travis Diener had a chance at being drafted on June 28, but Wisconsin center Mike Wilkinson wouldn't be chosen.

"I think someone will take a chance on Diener," Majerus said. "But there are questions about his athletic ability and his defensive posture. He has been injured."

The 6-8 Wilkinson cannot play center or power forward in the NBA. He'd have to catch on as a small forward, Majerus said.

"Wilkinson is a guy without a position," Majerus said. "If you were drafting to get a heart transplant, you'd take Wilkinson one. But if you are drafting a three or four, he's a bastardized player. He didn't play in an NBA kind of system. He played in a great system where they are taught to defend and they were tough. He's not really a power forward. He's a little bit undersized. He's a little bit too slow."</div>

Source

I don't know why Majerus doesn't think Wilkinson can play PF at 6'8. It's undersized, but there are plenty of undersized 4's around the league. He doesn't have the upside and potential, but Wilkinson makes up for it with his knowledge and passion for the game. If a less talented Mark Madsen can be drafted and make a career in the league, I don't see why a team would not take Wilkinson.

2. Schaddy

Schaddy Tangerine

<div class="quote_poster">Quoting shapecity:</div><div class="quote_post"> Source

I don't know why Majerus doesn't think Wilkinson can play PF at 6'8. It's undersized, but there are plenty of undersized 4's around the league. He doesn't have the upside and potential, but Wilkinson makes up for it with his knowledge and passion for the game. If a less talented Mark Madsen can be drafted and make a career in the league, I don't see why a team would not take Wilkinson.</div>

[​IMG] I hope my boy mikey wilk gets drafted. i know that heart and hustle can only take you so far, but what nba team can't find a way to use a kid like wilkinson? he's tough, smart, rebounds, defends, passes. is he athletic? hardly. is he undersized? probably. but he's a solid 6'8 and 240, and played in the toughest league in college basketball. look at brian cardinal. he didn't look like squat coming out of college, but through hustle, toughness and heart, he's become a good role player. i don't know why some team wouldn't take a flier on a good kid like wilk late in the second round. i really hope he gets a chance. he honestly deserves it. [​IMG]

3. KICKSDADDY613

KICKSDADDY613 JBB JustBBall Member

Yeah he has a lot more "talent" than the Custodian, and I think if guys like him and yes, Madsen can find a spot, Wilkinson should too. Maybe not drafted, but he'll get invites. Only question is, if thats all he gets, does he do it. Mike plans to go home after graduation and his college career was over to run his family's farm in Blue Mound, WI, so, never know, but even playin ball for just a couple years can get you a whole lot of nice John Deere equipment!

4. Voodoo Child

Voodoo Child Can I Kick It?

<div class="quote_poster">Quoting KICKSDADDY613:</div><div class="quote_post">Yeah he has a lot more "talent" than the Custodian, and I think if guys like him and yes, Madsen can find a spot, Wilkinson should too. Maybe not drafted, but he'll get invites. Only question is, if thats all he gets, does he do it. Mike plans to go home after graduation and his college career was over to run his family's farm in Blue Mound, WI, so, never know, but even playin ball for just a couple years can get you a whole lot of nice John Deere equipment!</div>

Yeah, over the years of watching Big Ten basketball, they've sure drilled it into my head that he's just a simple farm boy who's just going to run his father's farm once his basketball career is over.

I think he'll make it though. I've always saw Wilkinson as an NBA caliber player. Like Schaddy said, he played for the toughest league in college basketball. If you're going to take 6-7 Jason Maxiell from the Conference USA, then why not 6-8 Mike Wilkinson from the Big Ten? Just ask Dick Vitale, this kid has the fundamentals and unselfishness to make it on the next level.

5. Schaddy

Schaddy Tangerine

<div class="quote_poster">Quoting Voodoo Child:</div><div class="quote_post">Yeah, over the years of watching Big Ten basketball, they've sure drilled it into my head that he's just a simple farm boy who's just going to run his father's farm once his basketball career is over.

I think he'll make it though. I've always saw Wilkinson as an NBA caliber player. Like Schaddy said, he played for the toughest league in college basketball. If you're going to take 6-7 Jason Maxiell from the Conference USA, then why not 6-8 Mike Wilkinson from the Big Ten? Just ask Dick Vitale, this kid has the fundamentals and unselfishness to make it on the next level.</div>

very true. i think it's hilarious that guys like maxiel and chuck hayes are being touted as mid to early 2nd round picks, and people scoff at the mere mention of wilkinson's name in the same sentance as the letters N-B-A. come on. this kid is a coach's dream. he's not going to jump out of the gym. he's not gonna block a shot 8 rows into the stands. he's not gonna shatter the backboard. everyone harps on what he can't do, but considering the things he can do, i think that a team could do a lot worse with someone else. wilkinson's gonna hustle and help whoever he plays for, and you can't tell me that every team in the nba couldn't use another wilkinson or two on their roster. [​IMG]

6. J_Ray

J_Ray JBB JustBBall Member

<div class="quote_poster">Quoting Voodoo Child:</div><div class="quote_post">Yeah, over the years of watching Big Ten basketball, they've sure drilled it into my head that he's just a simple farm boy who's just going to run his father's farm once his basketball career is over.

I think he'll make it though. I've always saw Wilkinson as an NBA caliber player. Like Schaddy said, he played for the toughest league in college basketball. If you're going to take 6-7 Jason Maxiell from the Conference USA, then why not 6-8 Mike Wilkinson from the Big Ten? Just ask Dick Vitale, this kid has the fundamentals and unselfishness to make it on the next level.</div>

I saw Wilkinson in the tourney and he was good. He would fit really good in Utah, or a slow team. He plays with all heart and in my eyes, I rather watch him than a Kobe and T-Mac that walk the ball up court and walk through the offense, it just makes me mad the players now day don't play with heart, that make the old coaches like Sloan and Larry Brown look bad, even look at Sam Mitchell, and that guy that was the Knicks coach, his name slip my mind right now, if they had a team of just player with heart, they would be good.