Will Blazers tank to get a better shot at Oden

Discussion in 'Portland Trail Blazers' started by panfolk, Oct 26, 2006.

1. panfolk

panfolk JBB JustBBall Member

, or will they even have to try? I think they'll be better than Charlotte and New York this year myself.

2. ilive4ball

ilive4ball JBB JustBBall Member

Most franchises would probably take that approach at some point- once they see the season is lost. Unfortunately for us fans, the blazers are loaded at the positions Oden would play, we have Randolph, LaFreantz, Prybilla, Aldridge...

The blazers wouldn't play Oden anyways. They're just that dumb. I'm from portland and I love my blazers but I've come to the conclusion they aren't going anywhere with current ownership and management. Not one of them has a clue about basketball

3. Shapecity

Shapecity S2/JBB Teamster Staff Member Administrator

I doubt the Blazers tank to improve their odds to draft Oden.

1. There's no guarantee they get the 1st pick in the draft. If you look at the draft history, the worst team hasn't received the #1 pick in quite sometime now.

2. There's no guarantee Greg Oden will enter the 2007 draft. Everyone expects him to, but he's one of those players who might fall in love with the college experience and stick around to win a title.

4. Mr. J

Mr. J Triple Up

^Exactly. Last year the Blazers had the worst record and ended up with the fourth overall pick.

5. thedude9990

thedude9990 JBB JustBBall Member

<div class="quote_poster">panfolk Wrote</div><div class="quote_post">, or will they even have to try? I think they'll be better than Charlotte and New York this year myself.</div>

why does everyone think new york has a bad team, i dont get it, i see them gonig to the playoffs and i can see them even advancing to the 2nd round

6. Pakman

Pakman JBB ITS ON ME!!!

Dont worry, you guys will end up with the first pick.
    If not next year, the year after that.. whenever Oden enters the draft.
    Lol, jk.

But, I dont think Portland would intentionally do so... But they might end up doing it unintentionally.

7. Pakman

Pakman JBB ITS ON ME!!!

<div class="quote_poster">thedude9990 Wrote</div><div class="quote_post">why does everyone think new york has a bad team, i dont get it, i see them gonig to the playoffs and i can see them even advancing to the 2nd round</div>

New York really isn't a team.

Its whole bunch of cold guys that play together. Not really a TEAM.

8. Martellis

Martellis JBB JustBBall Member

I doubt they would do this. They are loaded already at that position.

<div class="quote_poster">Pakman Wrote</div><div class="quote_post">New York really isn't a team.

Its whole bunch of cold guys that play together. Not really a TEAM.</div>

Well the Knicks have been rumored to be the Sun's of the East and with all of those gaurds they can pull it off.

9. og15

og15 JBB *********

They don't need to tank, they're already in very good position [​IMG]

10. XSV

XSV JBB The Virve Dynasty

That'd be scary. Just think of a future line-up of Oden, Aldridge, Webster, Roy and Jack.

11. panfolk

XSV that is the exact lineup I had in mind... though I think Outlaw may have a breakout year.

12. panfolk

<div class="quote_poster">ilive4ball Wrote</div><div class="quote_post">Most franchises would probably take that approach at some point- once they see the season is lost. Unfortunately for us fans, the blazers are loaded at the positions Oden would play, we have Randolph, LaFreantz, Prybilla, Aldridge...

The blazers wouldn't play Oden anyways. They're just that dumb. I'm from portland and I love my blazers but I've come to the conclusion they aren't going anywhere with current ownership and management. Not one of them has a clue about basketball</div>

While I am not fond of Blazers management I think they are with the majority of teams in recognizing Oden's skillset.

Pryzbilla would be backup C, LaFrentz would be backup to Aldridge, and Maagloire is a goner (I've read in the oregonian that McMillan is less than pleased with him to say the least).

13. ilive4ball

ilive4ball JBB JustBBall Member

<div class="quote_poster">Quote:</div><div class="quote_post">While I am not fond of Blazers management I think they are with the majority of teams in recognizing Oden's skillset.

Pryzbilla would be backup C, LaFrentz would be backup to Aldridge, and Maagloire is a goner (I've read in the oregonian that McMillan is less than pleased with him to say the least).</div>

Oh I think they definately realize his potential, all I'm saying is they never play rookies.

14. CLos

CLos JBB=The Originals

I think Chicago can get him. Because remember, they did that trade with New York for Eddy Curry and they got a 1st rounder. If the Knicks do horrible, well come on its the Knicks, then they can have Oden also. That would be NASTY. I mean Ben Wallace AND Greg Oden starting along with Gordon, Hinrich, and either Noicioni/Deng. But Portland should try to at least win games and not tank on purpose that's just ridiculous.

15. og15

og15 JBB *********

Well that's really based on the coach whether a rookie plays, but they'd been drafting a lot of highschool rookies, so obviously that's a factor in why they wouldn't play.

16. panfolk

<div class="quote_poster">og15 Wrote</div><div class="quote_post">Well that's really based on the coach whether a rookie plays, but they'd been drafting a lot of highschool rookies, so obviously that's a factor in why they wouldn't play.</div>

Agreed. Roy, on the other hand, will get plenty of playing time.

17. Squishface

Squishface JBB Ministering Fools

<div class="quote_poster">XSV Wrote</div><div class="quote_post">That'd be scary. Just think of a future line-up of Oden, Aldridge, Webster, Roy and Jack.</div>

That would be scary, have you ever seen a team turn the ball over 50 times a night?

And the Knicks still won't be a good team. They will perform significantly better than last season, but that's hardly saying a lot. Isiah Thomas is simply a terrible coach, and he won't stop the bleeding there, but I have a feeling he's going to ship a lot of it away, so it doesn't look like he's the worst basketball mind in decades. To be fair, I think that distinction probably goes to his predecessor, Scott Layden.

18. og15

og15 JBB *********

<div class="quote_poster">og15 Wrote</div><div class="quote_post">They don't need to tank, they're already in very good position [​IMG]</div>
    Right now they aren't doing to well at allowing my prediction to come true.