...will Girardi return in 2018 ?

Discussion in 'New York Yankees' started by yankeesince59, Oct 11, 2017.

1. yankeesince59

yankeesince59 "Oh Captain, my Captain".

Things to consider;

1. He can't really be fired because his contract expires as soon as the Yanx' season is over.

2. He may not even want to return because he may get a better offer. (there will be a ton of other teams looking for new managers.)

3. The Yanx were not even expected to get this far so in a way Joe had one of his better seasons as a skipper.

4. For those who want him fired because of what happened last Friday;
    a. even if he had appealed, there's no guarantee that the Umps would have overturned the ruling. Remember, there has to be indisputable evidence to overturn it and after looking at the replay, IMO, it's really hard to tell if the ball may have grazed the batter's finger before hitting the knob of the bat.
    b. even if the call had been reversed we can't say for certain that the Yanx would not have lost either game 3 or 4 which would still have put us where we are now with the series tied 2-2. (you cannot assume that the games would or would not have unfold the same exact way)...so for me, there's some element of doubt.

5. there's not a whole lot of viable options to replace Girardi, unless the Yanx can somehow buy Showalter's remaining year with the O's. (Showalter's and Duquette's contracts expire after next year)

...IMO, Girardi returns next year only if he wants to.

Mattingly23NY likes this.
  2. Lillie

Lillie Well-Known Member

I'll take the Buckster any day. :lol:

3. Yankeefan5545

Yankeefan5545 Well-Known Member

Retired
    Saw some articles on Showalter. One stating that the Phillies are seeking him but doubtful that Baltimore would let him out of the contract. In passing I saw an articles giving reasons why Showalter should be discharged I think in the Baltimore Sun. The Orioles are in the same bind as the Yankees were five years ago, too many high priced home run hitting well paid free agents playing home run derby in a band box. Not Showalters fault any more than Girardi when he was given a pumpkin that turned into a coach on year. I've stated that if Girardi were not manager Francona or Showalter were. Not gonna happen. I also think Girardi this year as in those past should be a MOY candidate. I hope he wants to come back and does so, the 2018 Yankee Team is en route to becoming a Cadilac and the man who engineered that unit should be drivimg it to number 28.

4. yankeesince59

...yeah, the O's will have to decide very soon on whether or not to extend Showalter, because if they don't he then becomes somewhat of a "lame duck" manage for all of next year which can be counter-productive.
    ...and yes, although Joe won't win MOY he will certainly garner some votes...and rightfully so.

5. Lillie

Lillie Well-Known Member

Sorry guys but when I lived in Florida I got the Bucksters autograph. He is a great guy and hope he has a chance at managing the Yankees.

6. Lillie

Lillie Well-Known Member

Red Sox fired John Farrell.

7. Yankeefan5545

Retired
    Well you knew that was going to happen. Boston went out, got all of those hired guns and still tossed it in the shitter. Now I've heard they should be looking for a guy like Stanton to replace the former SOB roider who everyone in Boston thinks he was Jesus Christ without a beard.

Mattingly23NY and Lillie like this.
  8. yankeesince59

...I read that there was some degree of "disconnect" between Farrell and the players (I'm guessing Pedroia, Sale, Price)...seemed like a good coach to me...but Boston has a history of firing the wrong people.

...as far as Stanton, I know the Marlins will likely have to eventually jettison him and that highly back-end loaded contract of his but I'd like to think that Jeter would avoid sending him to Boston.

...and let's not be so hard on Papi because hey, remember that he promised us many years ago that he' d "get to the bottom of why his name appeared on that PEDS users list"...let's give him time, right?....:biglaugh:

9. Yankeefan5545

Retired
    Pedroia: a little malcontent imp who instigates problems then runs off into the corner and hides remembering that Machado incident early last year. He and some cronies I'd believe were behind Francona getting the axe and they were well paid back for that one last season. As Yankee Fans know trying to get rid of Ellsbury process a difficult task due to money and lackluster performance. In the case of Stanton your getting the performance but the damn money is too much. Yeah Papi and OJ are going to join forces and find the their accusers.

10. yankeesince59

...gotta believe that Jeter is going to have to try and convince the owner to eat some of Stanton's contract in order to be able get another team to take Stanton off the Marlins' hands.

11. Yankeefan5545

Retired
    Just read an article from ESPN congratulating Boston for getting their pound of flesh when Farrell was fired. The article stated that the Red Sox had more problems than John Farrell. The two main instigators were the Midget for throwing team mates under the bus during the Machado incident last summer. He was also abetted by David the "upstate negro" Price who seemed to like to crack on Eckersly and unite the team around that. Instead both should have provided leadership which they failed to do. Price was paid a 217 million dolloar contract and should have worried about earning his check instead of messing with Eckersly. Petey was in on that one as well. Newsflash Eckersly was making his mark before those two clowns were shitting Yellow. By contrast the Yankees and Astros had vet leadership on hand, got more Beltran in Houston and Holliday in New York were managers right hand men. Unfortunately Farrell had no such luck but he also failed to grab Petey and Price by the stacking swivel and jerk knots in their tales when needed. Safe to say I guess that despite the division finish, Cashman out flanked Dombrowski in 2017.

12. totus44

totus44 Lord of the Dark Side

Managing the Yanks was Joes dream job, as such he knew the politics that came with it. If offered he will be back.

13. yankeesince59

...actually, no...the Cubs were Joe's "dream job".

14. Messiah717

Messiah717 Moderator Staff Member Moderator

With what this Yankees team can be moving forward I can't see Girardi not wanting to be a part of that.

15. Mattingly23NY

Mattingly23NY Turning Fastballs Into Souveneir's ~

Ret. Quality OPS/Engr. Mgr.
    I'd bet it's safe to say Joe's handed a new contract. He took this team, that never should, or wasn't expected to be in Post Season, and took 'em where they weren't supposed to be, the ALCS. Incredible year, one of the least expected ps performances vs Cleveland....

Can they get by the Stro's, a tall order???

The Yanx were 2 Wins with 5 losses vs Cleveland
    Yanx were 2 Wins w/ 5 losses vs Houston