Will Kevin Durant Be An Imediate Superstar?

Discussion in 'NBA Draft' started by Roaming, Jun 20, 2007.

1. Roaming

Roaming Back In Black! erm...in Colour!

Does anyone think here that KD will have an "amazing" season next year? I seriously think hes going to take a while developing before coming that amazing franchise player everyones talking about. I also think hes quite out of Greg Oden's league in terms of who will be more sucessful first, but thats just me. It just looks like Oden has the better situation, and better players around him to make him their franchise player.

2. iversonfan268

iversonfan268 BBW VIP

I will be pretty damn suprised if Durant doesn't win the ROY. His offensive game is already so developed he should be able to score around 20 ppg easily as a rookie. Plus Durant is already great at creating for himself. He doesn't need a lot of good players around him to be successful. Did you even watch him play this season because he's easily the most NBA ready prospect out of all the freshmen in this draft.

3. kingjamez

kingjamez BBW VIP

There's no question he'll make an immediate impact, and if Lewis is gone next year, than he'll easily score 20 a game. His offensive game is so refined, and he can do so many different things on offense. Since he's got scorers around him, I think he'll also show off his passing ability and prove to people that he's not just a scorer on offense - he can create for other people. We know Oden will rebound, and block shots but unless he gets around 18-20 ppg than Durant should win the ROY.

4. CelticBalla32

CelticBalla32 Basketball is back in Boston

I don't know if Durant is going to have a Carmelo-like rookie year, but he sure as hell will contribute right away. I'm not worried about how much he can bench press, that means so little, especially for an 18 year old kid. Does he need to add some weight? Yeah, a little, but it's not that big of a deal at all. I think he'll be able to put up numbers close to 18-20 a night by the end of his rookie year, and I think he should be an All-Star by year 3.

5. Celtic Fan

Celtic Fan Well-Known Member

if Lewis is gone, he'll get plenty of touches and I could see him scoring in the 17-20 ppg.If Lewis stays, 12-15 ppg but his other numbers will be high for a rookie.Oden will average 11-15 but will also avg 7-10 rpg

6. Roaming

Roaming Back In Black! erm...in Colour!

I saw it with Chris Bosh and Andrea, they were pretty skinny in their respective rookie years, and didnt really blow up offensively as you make Kevin to be. Both bosh and andrea had good offensive games, but were as skinny as Durant too. Now I defintely know that between Bosh at Georgia Tech, and Andrea at Bennetton, and KD at Texas, he obviously has a superior offensive game, but I still have the feeling he wont average 20 ppg next year.

7. BrewCityBuck

BrewCityBuck The guy with 17,000 Posts.

Kevin Durant had no problems scoring against triple teams in the Big 12, I think he will be just fine in Seattle his rookie year and average around 18ppg. In Seattle they don't have many scorers so it will just be he and Ray Allen with the ball.

8. Nitro1118

Nitro1118 BBW Elite Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (RaptorFan#1 @ Jun 20 2007, 07:16 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div><div class='quotemain'>I saw it with Chris Bosh and Andrea, they were pretty skinny in their respective rookie years, and didnt really blow up offensively as you make Kevin to be. Both bosh and andrea had good offensive games, but were as skinny as Durant too. Now I defintely know that between Bosh at Georgia Tech, and Andrea at Bennetton, and KD at Texas, he obviously has a superior offensive game, but I still have the feeling he wont average 20 ppg next year.</div>Bingo. He has the most refined offensive game coming out of college that I have ever seen. he has a great jumpshot, great at slahsing, is big enough to grab some offensive rebounds, run the break, can catch lobs, and also post up smaller players.I think he will make an immediate impact, but his actual production will rely on Lewis' departure.

9. Memphology

Memphology BBW VIP

I wouldnt be suprised at all if he put up 20ppg in his rookie season much like Melo...but then again Melo was bigger than him. I have him winning ROY, he'll most likely get atleast 15ppg...anyhting short of that is a disappointment in many peoples eyes.

10. Celtic Fan

Celtic Fan Well-Known Member

unless he plays like Adam Morrison, I don't think he'll be a disappointment

11. TigerTaylor

TigerTaylor BBW Elite Member

I think he'll make a big impact, and win Rookie of the Year. He's one of the purest offensive talents coming out of college in a while. Some people say that he won't do as good because he is skinny and can't bench 180, and I say those people haven't seen him play in college. He dominated college ball, as a freshmen. He can shoot from miles away, run the floor, and is very athletic and determined. He plays with a lot of intensity, and will be a big player for the Sonics next season I feel.

12. the_pestilence

the_pestilence BBW VIP

A man who was perhaps the best college freshman of all time is obviously going to be expected to be NBA ready.

13. teeps11

teeps11 BBW Member

I think that Durant will prolly be able to score 17-20 ppg his rookie year, more towards 17 if Lewis is still there, and more towards 20 if he isn't. I think Durant will be able to score pretty easily his rookie year because he was such a great scorer in college.

14. BigMo763

BigMo763 Active Member

I'm expecting him to put up numbers (no worse than 18 ppg), but it will take him a few years before they can do something up in Seattle. Plus it will take him time to bulk up a bit. It won't be a problem at first, but he definitely needs to put on some muscle in the next two to three years, and I can definitely see him doing that.

15. HoNgKoNgKoBe

HoNgKoNgKoBe BBW Elite Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (BigMo763 @ Jun 21 2007, 12:32 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div><div class='quotemain'>I'm expecting him to put up numbers (no worse than 18 ppg), but it will take him a few years before they can do something up in Seattle. Plus it will take him time to bulk up a bit. It won't be a problem at first, but he definitely needs to put on some muscle in the next two to three years, and I can definitely see him doing that.</div>I agree with you but I see him winning the ROY over Oden. as good oden is to me, I just think that durant will have a better rookie season and then after that oden will ha ve better seasons then durant. reasons are because in portland aldridge, randolph, roy and oden all need to share the ball if they want to score points. durant will be the 2nd option and will get many touches and lots of playing time. im sure he can average at least 20+PPG and around 10+RPG with his athleticism.

16. BigMo763

BigMo763 Active Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (HoNgKoNgKoBe @ Jun 20 2007, 11:48 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div><div class='quotemain'>I agree with you but I see him winning the ROY over Oden. as good oden is to me, I just think that durant will have a better rookie season and then after that oden will ha ve better seasons then durant. reasons are because in portland aldridge, randolph, roy and oden all need to share the ball if they want to score points. durant will be the 2nd option and will get many touches and lots of playing time. im sure he can average at least 20+PPG and around 10+RPG with his athleticism.</div>I agree that Durant probably will win the ROY over Oden.Me and my friend were talking about this the other day. Oden will probably end up being a Tim Duncan type player, meaning he'll put up a double-double, nothing out of this world, and bring a lot of the intangibles to his team. "Mr. Consistency" so to speak.Durant, on the other hand, will be the Tracy McGrady/Kobe type player, meaning he'll put up ridiculous numbers.Again, I'm not comparing them skill-wise, just the way they will play, etc.

17. CelticBalla32

CelticBalla32 Basketball is back in Boston

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (BigMo763 @ Jun 21 2007, 01:05 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div><div class='quotemain'>Me and my friend were talking about this the other day. Oden will probably end up being a Tim Duncan type player, meaning he'll put up a double-double, nothing out of this world, and bring a lot of the intangibles to his team. "Mr. Consistency" so to speak.</div>
    I know what you meant by that, but I don't think that was a great analogy considering that Duncan has put up 20/10 every year of his career.

18. BigMo763

BigMo763 Active Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (CelticBalla32 @ Jun 21 2007, 12:07 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div><div class='quotemain'>I know what you meant by that, but I don't think that was a great analogy considering that Duncan has put up 20/10 every year of his career.</div> Yeah, I know... but you get my drift. :lol:Tim Duncan was the closest thing to "Mr. Consistency" I could think of for a big man. What you see with Oden is pretty much what you're going to get from him, in my opinion, whereas Durant just seems to be the all-around pure scorer that will continuously develop and find new ways to score, even though his offensive arsenal is pretty polished already.

19. Nitro1118

Nitro1118 BBW Elite Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (BigMo763 @ Jun 21 2007, 03:15 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div><div class='quotemain'>Yeah, I know... but you get my drift. :lol:Tim Duncan was the closest thing to "Mr. Consistency" I could think of for a big man. What you see with Oden is pretty much what you're going to get from him, in my opinion, whereas Durant just seems to be the all-around pure scorer that will continuously develop and find new ways to score, even though his offensive arsenal is pretty polished already.</div>I disagree with that. I feel what you see defensively from oden is basically what you will get in the NBA (outside of proneness to get into foul trouble in first 5min of the game), but offensively he still has a LOT of room for improvement. He showed his willingness throught the year to work and become a better offensive player, and I think that will continue into the NBA. He can also learn to become a better passer as well.With that said, Durant also has a ton of room to improve, whether it be his body, to his passing, to refining his offensive moves.

20. BrewCityBuck

BrewCityBuck The guy with 17,000 Posts.

I agree Nitro, I think Oden has Olajuwon/Robinson type potential, with that I mean 26/13 type numbers. People are using Oden's freshman season in a way to limit is potential just because he was not dominant his freshman year, like you said, he has so much room to improve. People are completely underestimating his vast offensive potential.