Will Nick Saban go to Alabama?

Discussion in 'NFL Draft' started by AdropOFvenom, Jan 1, 2007.

1. AdropOFvenom

AdropOFvenom BBW Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE </div><div class='quotemain'>Bama to make big offer to Saban later todayESPN.com news servicesWill Alabama lure Nick Saban away from the Dolphins? The Crimson Tide will make their formal pitch later Monday, ESPN's Chris Mortensen is reporting.Dolphins' owner Wayne Huizenga is trying to persuade Saban to ignore Alabama's overtures.Saban has three years left on his Dolphins deal worth approximately $4.5 million a year. Huizenga may have to bump him up considerably to keep him because the financial security gap is expected to be significantly different between the Dolphins and the Crimson Tide.Alabama has only floated numbers that will be in the $4 to $4.5 million range, but over an 8- to 10-year term.There are 11 colleges coaches who make over $2 million a year. There are four coaches in the $3 million-plus range, if you count USC's Pete Carroll, who made $2.93 million this year and should be over $3 million next year. Notre Dame's Charlie Weis, Iowa's Kirk Ferentz and Oklahoma's Bob Stoops are over $3 million.A current Alabama assistant told ESPN.com's Mark Schlabach on Sunday morning that former coach Mike Shula's staff expects Saban to be named the Crimson Tide's new coach sometime this week."He's going to clean house here, top to bottom," the coach said."I'm not going to be the Alabama coach," he said last week.Saban said he wouldn't comment on the Alabama opening anymore.</div>For More - http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/news/story?id=2716394

2. The Marine

The Marine BBW Member

I think he will because like he said, he loves teaching to young kids. And he probably knows his team is going no where because The Jets and Patroits are still good teams and he doesnt want to lose. I think he will take the Alabama job. He should

3. AdropOFvenom

AdropOFvenom BBW Member

Well, it's official. He's Going, Going, Gone!Told ya Jon_Vilma that Alabama was an Elite College Football Gig. [​IMG] <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE </div><div class='quotemain'>After repeated denials, Saban takes Bama jobESPN.com news servicesNick Saban has accepted an offer from Alabama, leaving the Miami Dolphins two weeks after declaring "I'm not going to be the Alabama coach."Saban's agreement with Alabama is for eight years and a guaranteed $32 million, according to ESPN.com's Len Pasquarelli. Saban can earn an additional $700,000 to $800,000 annually in bowl-game bonuses.Saban told team owner Wayne Huizenga of his decision in a face-to-face meeting Wednesday morning. Saban then informed all of his coaches by speakerphone that he was leaving the franchise to coach Alabama.In a news conference at the Dolphins' facility, Huizenga told reporters he was not upset by Saban's departure."It is what it is. We have to move forward," Huizenga said. "We want the best for Nick and [his wife]Terry. I like Nick a lot and think he could have won here. I'm a Nick Saban fan."As of late Wednesday morning, Saban was not yet headed to Tuscaloosa for a formal introduction."All indications are that he's coming, but I know they're not in the air yet," an Alabama athletic department official told ESPN.com's Mark Schlabach.Saban repeatedly had issued denials that he was interested in coaching Alabama, one of the most high-profile and high-pressure college coaching jobs in the country. After he turned down the Tide in early December, the school offered the job to Rich Rodriguez, but he decided to stay at West Virginia.Alabama made a formal offer to Saban on Monday after rumors swirled for weeks that the Crimson Tide were continuing their pursuit of the former LSU coach. Saban, who spent five seasons in Baton Rouge before leaving for the NFL, was 48-16 at LSU and won the 2003 BCS national championship.He walks away from the Dolphins with three years left on a deal worth approximately $4.5 million a season.In the past, Huizenga has been persuasive when dealing with coaches. He talked Don Shula into retirement in 1996, talked Jimmy Johnson out of retiring three years later -- Johnson lasted one more season -- and was able to lure Saban to the pros in 2004 after other NFL teams had failed.But this time, Huizenga couldn't change Saban's mind."First of all this was never about money," Huizenga said. "It's never been about money. Nick never talked to me about money. Nick never talked to me about an extension. I honestly believe this was not about money."Saban was 15-17 without a playoff appearance in his two seasons as Dolphins coach."In my opinion, the Dolphins have always been about winning. I just want everyone to know that it's really all about winning now," Huizenga said. "I don't care what it takes or what it costs, we're going to make this a winning franchise -- sooner rather than later."Alabama began looking for a coach after firing Mike Shula on Nov. 27. The Tide finished the season 6-7, losing to Oklahoma State in the Independence Bowl.On Tuesday, Saban asked for and received more time from Huizenga to make a decision, yet Huizenga remained optimistic that Saban would remain with the Dolphins. Saban was given until 10 a.m. Wednesday to make a decision.Huizenga said his team's front office began the process of examining a search for a new coach, but he did not provide further details.Possible candidates to replace Saban include Chicago Bears defensive coordinator Ron Rivera, former Green Bay head coach Mike Sherman, San Diego Chargers offensive coordinator Cam Cameron, Indianapolis assistant head coach Jim Caldwell, Tennessee Titans offensive coordinator Norm Chow and Pittsburgh Steelers assistants Russ Grimm and Ken Whisenhut.The Arizona Cardinals and Atlanta Falcons are also seeking a new coach.The Dolphins' next coach will be their fourth in nine seasons, a big change for a franchise that had the same coach -- Don Shula -- for 26 years. Miami has failed to make the playoffs the past five seasons, the worst stretch in franchise history.The Dolphins are coming off their third losing season since 1969 and face a likely roster overhaul. With Daunte Culpepper still struggling to recover from reconstructive knee surgery in 2005, Miami remains unsettled at quarterback, a troublesome position since Dan Marino retired seven years ago. The team needs upgrades in almost every other area for a feeble offense and aging defense.Saban leaves behind the NFL's largest staff of assistants and general manager Randy Mueller, who might be given more responsibility under a new coaching regime.</div>http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/news/story?id=2718488Smart move by him too, another bad year in Miami and he was going to be canned.