Politics Will the US go to war against the DPRK?

Discussion in 'Blazers OT Forum' started by PDXFonz, May 12, 2017.

?

Will the US and DPRK have military conflict?

1. Yes

36.4%
  2. No

63.6%
  1. PDXFonz

PDXFonz I’m listening

A lot of back and forth about how close the two nations are to war. This is business as usual for N Korea, threaten their enemies with words. Will Trump say enough is enough and take military action? Or will it go down as simply a war of words?

I think it is inevitable. Trumps sanctions will hit where they are supposed to, and more N Koreans will starve to death. N Korea however will still work to improve their nuclear capabilities and as soon as they conduct another nuclear test Trump will make his move.

The one thing that could end up saving the world from this atrocity is South Korea. If they reform policy with their northern neighbors it could be the beginning of bringing peace to the peninsula.

2. MarAzul

MarAzul LongShip

Life is good!
    What exactly do you think the South Koreans need to reform?

3. PDXFonz

PDXFonz I’m listening

I'm not well versed on the specific political conflicts between the two countries, but I do know the lines of communication between the two have not been open. So that would be a good place to start. Softening the tension at the DMZ would probably be the next course of action. After that I'd assume they start talking about ways for the South to help provide aid to the starving citizens in the North.

What is your answer to the poll question?

4. oldfisherman

oldfisherman Unicorn Wrangler

More than 120 South Korean companies have factories at a joint industrial park at Kaesong, North Korea. The park is just north of the DMZ, and employs tens of thousands of North Korean workers.

Sorry, for the wrong date and timeline which I deleted. The joint industrial park is closed at this time. No date set to re-open which would indicate a improvement in the relations between the two countries.

Will there be a war? It is up to N. Korea.
    My guess is, they are going to start playing nice soon to get more investment money into their country, and put their people back to work. Then once they get some concession/money, they will start their war talk all over again. That has been their pattern for decades.

Last edited: May 12, 2017
    Dougnsalem and PDXFonz like this.
  5. MarAzul

MarAzul LongShip

Life is good!
    I suppose we will need to continue making them believe we will go to war with them any day they choose and on the the day we choose if they can indeed do us harm.

PDXFonz likes this.
  6. Denny Crane

Denny Crane It's not even loaded! Staff Member Administrator

Never lost a case
    https://ca.news.yahoo.com/north-korea-says-dialogue-u-under-conditions-yonhap-041734682.html

SEOUL (Reuters) - A senior North Korean diplomat who handles relations with the United States said on Saturday that Pyongyang would have dialogue with the U.S. administration if conditions were right, South Korea's Yonhap news agency reported.

Choe Son Hui, North Korea's foreign ministry director general for U.S. affairs, made the comment to reporters in Beijing as she was traveling home from Norway, Yonhap said.

"We'll have dialogue if the conditions are there," she told reporters when asked if the North was preparing to hold talks with the Trump administration, according to Yonhap.

When asked if North Korea was also getting ready to talk with the new government in South Korea, of liberal President Moon Jae-in, Choe said: "We'll see."

The comments by Choe, who is a veteran member of the North's team of nuclear negotiators, came amid stepped up international efforts to press North Korea and ease tension over its pursuit of nuclear arms.

U.S. President Donald Trump warned in an interview with Reuters in late April that a "major, major conflict" with the North was possible, but he would prefer a diplomatic outcome to the dispute over its nuclear and missile programs.

Trump later said he would be "honored" to meet the North's leader, Kim Jong Un, under the right conditions.

A U.S. State Department spokesman said the United States remains open to talks with North Korea but it would have to "cease all its illegal activities and aggressive behavior in the region."

"We have been clear over the past twenty years that we seek nothing but a stable and economically prosperous Korean peninsula," the spokesman said in an email.

PDXFonz likes this.
  7. PDXFonz

PDXFonz I’m listening

Trump: Come alone, unarmed, honk twice and exit your vehicle.

Kim: Come alone, unarmed, stay in your car and keep your head up.

8. Denny Crane

Never lost a case
    I don't know why we wouldn't just talk to them under almost any condition.

If you want to make peace with your enemy, you have to talk to him.

The tough talk is fine, it is just posturing and letting the other side know you're serious, but you still have to talk to come to a peace deal.

I don't see the harm in meeting with them to see if there's common ground.

9. PDXFonz

PDXFonz I’m listening

10. PDXFonz

PDXFonz I’m listening

Would you trust them if they promised to stop the progression of their nuclear program?

11. stampedehero

stampedehero Make Your Day, a Doobies Day Staff Member Moderator

Part Time Building Inspector
    The one way Trump can escape his "staged" military aggression is to defer this to the South Korean government. When the critical condition returns to all normal HE can say what a great job he has done to convince the North to settle down and converse with the South although the "reason" for US aggression was NK Nuke testing. He'll pat himself on his back and stir up a wasp nest in another world corner. Trump =BOZO diplomacy.

12. stampedehero

stampedehero Make Your Day, a Doobies Day Staff Member Moderator

Part Time Building Inspector
    Meanwhile:::::Pakistan has Nukes that we granted because India had them. Pakistan may be more volatile than NK based on ISIS and other groups invading Pakistan like cancer cells into a human body.

13. Orion Bailey

Orion Bailey Forum Troll

HA!! At A glance ( I opened this and then had to read again)
    I thought you were asking if we were gonna go to war with @jlprk

HAHAHA

SlyPokerDog likes this.
  14. Denny Crane

Never lost a case
    Trust but verify.

15. PDXFonz

PDXFonz I’m listening

16. PDXFonz

PDXFonz I’m listening

Second missile test this week.

Will the US government look weak if we don't end up putting a stop to their nuclear development like we vowed to?

17. Nikolokolus

Nikolokolus There's always next year

I voted "yes" only because I think on a long enough time horizon, the chances of a peaceful resolution seem pretty slim. The current amount of saber rattling by Kim Jong Un is pretty much par for the course and amounts to little more than extortion, and the young leader trying to put his stamp on the regime as a strong-man not to be trifled with. But then again when you are playing chicken with nuclear weapons, all it takes is one bad miscalculation or one side or the other badly mis-reading the situation and everything can go to hell.

riverman likes this.
  18. SlyPokerDog

SlyPokerDog Woof! Staff Member Administrator

Would it be okay North Korea had launched missiles at Syria?

BonesJones likes this.
  19. PDXFonz

PDXFonz I’m listening

Another missile launch, this time dangerously close to Japan.

US moves the third aircraft carrier to the region.

Wonder how much of this plan includes fighting China as well... Shouldn't need 3 aircraft carriers to fight the DPRK.

20. riverman

riverman Writing Team

no way China is that stupid...they will not sacrifice business for N Korean interests...Russia or China could walk right over that country anytime.