Will the Warriors soon have the skinniest lineup?

Discussion in 'Golden State Warriors' started by cpawfan, Jul 14, 2008.

1. cpawfan

cpawfan Monsters do exist

In looking at the potential future Warriors lineup of Monta, Marco, Randolph, Wright and Biedrins, I had to laugh at how skinny that group is. Not to make light of a serious disorder, but you almost have to call them the Anorexic Warriors.

One thing I really like about that lineup (if it ever comes to pass) is that Randolph and Marco can both handle and create well enough that it allows Monta to play the 1 without having to worry about being a primary distributor.

2. HiRez

HiRez Overlord

With the addition of Maggette, I don't think so. There definitely are a lot of skinny guys there, but they're all young and most will probably add bulk as they grow and get into an NBA workout routine. Moving Jackson to the 2 spot puts some serious muscle in the backcourt, and Maggette is a rock. Turiaf will help bring frontcourt muscle if the Lakers don't match him, and Hendrix brings the beef as well. I actually think they'll have a nice mix of muscle and finesse to adapt to different situations. The biggest question mark I still have (other than can Monta be a PG) is Harrington. He's got the body but he plays lighter than he is. Doesn't work inside much and can't fight for rebounds very well either. While I like Al, I'm still hoping he'll be moved.

3. Doctor Kajita

Doctor Kajita Active Member

Finance
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (cpawfan @ Jul 14 2008, 09:37 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div><div class='quotemain'>One thing I really like about that lineup (if it ever comes to pass) is that Randolph and Marco can both handle and create well enough that it allows Monta to play the 1 without having to worry about being a primary distributor.</div>

This supports the point I made in several other threads that the Warriors will now need to put together a collaborative effort in sharing PG duties now that Baron is gone. We're not going to have that guy who is 100% reliable in taking care of the ball. What's great about Baron is that even if a play goes awry, he had the ability to create something out of nothing. This is why he's had so many game-winning shots with the Warriors.

When I say PG duties, I don't just mean bring the ball up and make an assist. I think a lot of people get caught up in the assist totals too much. Assists don't always equate to best PG. Making the right play at the right moment is. This is what the Warriors will need to do better than they have in the past.

Monta may be slotted in the PG position at the start of the game, but it doesn't mean he's going to take on 100% of what Baron Davis did. Maybe he will learn to, but that's far-fetched. At this point, I can only hope that Monta will become a very smart basketball player: slow down when the defense is going full speed, go full out when the defense is flat-footed, make a bounce pass instead of a lob, pass up a pass if the lanes are clogged and generate a new half-court set, etc.

I think we'll get a lot of contributions from Sjax, Marco, Maggette, and Randolph when it comes to bringing the ball up the court.

4. Legacy

Legacy Beast

I never noticed that. They'll bulk up by a few years, or at least some of them should.

5. Custodianrules2

Custodianrules2 Cohan + Rowell = Suck

Al doesn't have any coordination it seems. He always seems to have lead feet or screws up when off balance. So I never really got why fans thought he was athletic when he appears to be a bit stiff... maybe that's because he's relatively athletic compared to Dunleavy and Murphy who just lack foot quickness, jumping ability... about the only thing Dunleavy and Murph do well for guys that tall is run the floor and I'm sure to be in the nba you need to run the floor very quickly rather than having it a requirement that guy also jump out the gym or move side to side like Jeff Foster or Andris Biedrins.

At least the lightweight guys appear to be very well coordinated. Even Wright can finish a bit and dribble out of traffic. Ellis is just a fantastic finisher due to his body control and hand, feet coordination and balance. Biedrins actually has excellent coordination and balance, but he's a bit too tall for his weight now that he's a legit 7 feet tall. He can recover quickly, but his ability to absorb contact has gotten worse ever since he went from 245 to 220-230 lbs.