Will Wallace Stay or Go?

Discussion in 'Portland Trail Blazers' started by Trail_Blazer76, Feb 1, 2004.

1. Trail_Blazer76

Trail_Blazer76 JBB JustBBall Member

<div class="quote_poster">Quote:</div><div class="quote_post"><font face="Arial">Wallace staying...for now?
    The New York Post's Peter Vecsey says the Blazers are content to let Rasheed Wallace play out his contract here in Portland...and then </font><u><font face="Arial"><font color="#0000ff">let him walk away during the summer</font></font></u><font face="Arial">. To where will 'Sheed walk? Vecsey says he's headed to the Big Apple, and will take a significant pay cut: </font>

You read it here first: The swelling sentiment, highlights Portland's Rainy Day Worker, is that Wallace aims to play for Thomas' Knicks and will be willing to accept a mid-level salary exception ($12M lower to start than his current $17M salary) come July 15 </div>http://www.oregonlive.com/weblogs/blazersblog/

Looks like we'll get to keep Sheed for a while. I don't see why he would go and sign in New York. He would make them a contender, but it seems to me that right now he is all about the benjamins. Anyone think that he'll re-sign with Portland?

2. AIFan

AIFan JBB JustBBall Member

I think he's staying put for the remainder of the season, but he won't resign.

3. ANiMuS

ANiMuS JBB JustBBall Member

Why would he need all the "Benjamins"? He's already made a lot more money over his last contract than he ever should have.

4. AIFan

<div class="quote_poster">Quoting ANiMuS:</div><div class="quote_post">Why would he need all the "Benjamins"? He's already made a lot more money over his last contract than he ever should have.</div>come on man, you can never have enough money. It makes me cringe to hear guys like Shaq complain about money, come on dog, you make 10 million a year, how is money an issue? This is the world in which we live.

5. mike18946

mike18946 JBB

Actually I think It's very possible Sheed re-signs with Blazers.There are a lot of factors to consider.His family live in Portland and like it there,Blazers own Paul Allen likes Sheed,he wants to keep him,many feel Randolph is helped by having a good defensive player and a guy who can shoot the ball which gives Randolph better chances on the offensive end.

I honestly see him staying a Blazer for life.

6. Rave

Rave JBB JustBBall Member

<div class="quote_poster">Quoting AllNet:</div><div class="quote_post"> I honestly see him staying a Blazer for life.</div>

I see the same, Cube really showed me how great a guy he is. He's really stepped up and changed for the better ever since Bonzi left. I really like his attitude now. I see him in the same boat as Iverson, even if his team's chances of achieving gold are so minimal he'll stick with them. One he's loved, two he's needed. Why would he abandon them like Malone and Payton did of their teams? He has nothing to gain or lose either way. I'd rather stay with people I consider friends and teammates then be stereotyped because of previous wrongdoings. Cube showed me how nice he really is, he's not as bad as say K-Mart.

He's a great player overall, no doubt. He gives much needed offense on the Blazers. Any form of defense is good especially blocking and rebounding. Those're key to any victory. I don't see him ever leaving. I don't think he ever will and that no one will let him. As soon as he improves his attitude more like he's done so now, he'll be an even bigger force in the NBA. Somewhat like the old Webber situation.

7. Trail_Blazer76

<div class="quote_poster">Quoting ANiMuS:</div><div class="quote_post">Why would he need all the "Benjamins"? He's already made a lot more money over his last contract than he ever should have.</div>
    Apparently you don't read up on the Blazers very much. They recently offered Sheed a contract extension (undisclosed amount), and he was "insulted" by it. He cares very much about money especially from the team that he has been on for his whole career. Yes he would take less if he went somewhere else, but he knows that Portland can offer him more and he wont settle for the minimal.

8. Vyper

Vyper -Vintage '73-

jaded corporate lackey
    <div class="quote_poster">Quoting Trail_Blazer76:</div><div class="quote_post">Apparently you don't read up on the Blazers very much. They recently offered Sheed a contract extension (undisclosed amount), and he was "insulted" by it. He cares very much about money especially from the team that he has been on for his whole career. Yes he would take less if he went somewhere else, but he knows that Portland can offer him more and he wont settle for the minimal.</div>

He played in Washington for a season prior to Portland.

9. AIFan

10. nikebasketball

nikebasketball JBB JustBBall Member

Sheed's gonna play for whoever c.uts t.hat c.heck.

11. Trail_Blazer76

<div class="quote_poster">Quoting nikebasketball:</div><div class="quote_post">
    Sheed's gonna play for whoever c.uts t.hat c.heck.
    </div>
    Haha, great statement nikebasketball. I can tell that you read up on Sheed a lot, because those are the exact words that he would have used.

Anyway, Sheed strikes me as a player who doesn't care much about a championship. He wants the money and temporary fame. Doesn't want to break any records or go down in the books. He'll get his money for playing a game and then be on his way. If he re-signs with us we'll know that he's loyal, if he doesn't then he'll be disliked by many Portland fans.

12. Anzix

Anzix JBB JustBBall Member

He's already in the books remember the technical fouls? Anyways I don?t see Sheed leaving either he has proven to be the heart of the blazers on many occasions and a life saver on too many games. Sure some day he has bad days but doesn?t everyone? Paul wants Sheed to stay or he would of traded him already. I think in the head Sheed will stay because of family and friends. He has been in Portland so long that his wife is heavily involved in the community and so is he. The only reason he did not do his coat drive this year was because he was uncertain if he would be traded and did not want to give the hopes up for children and poor people.

Rasheed has always been a blazer and will continue to be a blazer. Recently he has changed his image as a person who does not care. He is beginning to see his problems so I think. I really think he wants to win a champion ship and he wants to do it with the blazers. We all know the blazers are championship caliber and that?s the truth. The blazers are finally proving that to everyone.

Rasheed is starting to concentrate more on the game and ever one notices that so why would the blazers want to trade someone that is finally reaching what they should be at? I think the blazers will resign him... Also I heard that Rasheed asked for the contract extension... So I do now know about that situation. The bottom line is that Rasheed will continue to be a blazer for a very long time.

13. Trail_Blazer76

<div class="quote_poster">Quoting Anzix:</div><div class="quote_post">Rasheed has always been a blazer and will continue to be a blazer. Recently he has changed his image as a person who does not care. He is beginning to see his problems so I think. I really think he wants to win a champion ship and he wants to do it with the blazers. We all know the blazers are championship caliber and that?s the truth. The blazers are finally proving that to everyone.</div>
    The Blazers have been championship caliber for a couple years. Haters just won't admit it because we've been eliminated in the first round. What people fail to realize is that a couple of those times we were eliminated by the team that went on to win it all. Last year, we could have beaten the Mavs pending all those injuries. In the Mavs' series Dale Davis missed game 7, DA missed game 7. Also, Scottie was coming back from surgery, and he hadn't even been around for the end of the regular season.

When we have chemistry going, we can beat anyone. Sheed is starting to realize that he is a huge part of that, and feels that he should be paid accordingly. If he has put up the effort he would be deserving of the cash, and Portland would be begging him to stay. I like his attitude of not caring what people think, because it is truly irrelevant with the exception of his co-workers.

14. Anzix

I think Sheed said that he didn?t care just to piss people off because when I met him he was smiling and very nice. If he didn?t care about the fans he would not do coat drives or any charity work or even go on the air at jammin 95.5 and rap.

Anyways I think he will stay and even if he doesn?t I will follow his career for the rest of his professional career because I know he will be a bigger star.

15. Trail_Blazer76

<div class="quote_poster">Quoting Anzix:</div><div class="quote_post">I think Sheed said that he didn?t care just to piss people off because when I met him he was smiling and very nice. If he didn?t care about the fans he would not do coat drives or any charity work or even go on the air at jammin 95.5 and rap.

Anyways I think he will stay and even if he doesn?t I will follow his career for the rest of his professional career because I know he will be a bigger star.</div>
    I think that he meant he doesn't care about people who have a negative opinion of him. He said that he knows how much good he does, and if others are oblivious to it that is their loss.

Btw, Anzix who made your avatar.

16. ZeroToOne50182

ZeroToOne50182 JBB JustBBall Member

<div class="quote_poster">Quoting AIFan:</div><div class="quote_post">http://www.nypost.com/sports/15869.htm

Maybe we're wrong on the money thing, sounds like Rasheed would happily take the mid level salary exception to play for the Knicks</div>
    I didnt read the article... I closed it when I saw "Rashweed".. I wouldnt want to play for a team that has their critics calling me "Rashweed".. He may not care, but thats just disrespectful..

I hope Wallace stays a Blazer.. Like you said Trail Blazer.. We we will see if he is a loyal player.. If he isnt many people will hate him because of it, but I think a lot of the fans that see what good he did for the organization will relise that he should be respected..

Yeah, and Randolph gets a ton of benfit for Wallace being on the team with him. One reason I hope he stays..

17. AIFan

that's right, CTC baby!!!!!

18. 3-pt.-gunner

3-pt.-gunner JBB JustBBall Member

it sounds like the popular sentiment is that sheed will stay in portland but i find that hard to believe. it seems to me that not only has he worn out his welcome with the media there, but while he's playing well (17.5 pts., 7 rebs.), he's being overshadowed by randolph and doesn't seem to have a good relationship with the management. he was "insulted" by their contract extension offer. sheed doesn't strike me as the type who's willing to sacrifice the spotlight and the $$$ for the good of the team.

19. Anzix

<div class="quote_poster">Quoting Trail_Blazer76:</div><div class="quote_post">I think that he meant he doesn't care about people who have a negative opinion of him. He said that he knows how much good he does, and if others are oblivious to it that is their loss.

Btw, Anzix who made your avatar.</div>

I made my sig and avatar. Sorry I stole your 1px white border but it looked really good :-).

20. Trail_Blazer76

<div class="quote_poster">Quoting Anzix:</div><div class="quote_post">I made my sig and avatar. Sorry I stole your 1px white border but it looked really good :-).</div>
    Haha, it's all good man. I was just wondering because your sig is really nice. No worries.