Will Webster finally break out this season?

Discussion in 'Portland Trail Blazers' started by cpawfan, Sep 12, 2008.

1. cpawfan

cpawfan Monsters do exist

While the Blazers have been very fortunate in the draft the past few seasons and very well prepared by Kevin Pritchard, there is still the trade down and the selection of Martell Webster hanging over the club.

Will he finally break out this season?

Have the fans gotten past who the Blazers could have had?

2. JFizzleRaider

JFizzleRaider Sad Panda Global Moderator

I think Blazer fans have gotten past who they could of had, Because by making that mistake, we were still in position to select Oden, Roy and Aldridge.

I don't expect much from Webster and unfortunately think he will be the odd man out after next year.

3. Shapecity

Shapecity S2/JBB Teamster Staff Member Administrator

He will be challenged more than ever for minutes this season (assuming everyone is healthy.) Webster has to prove he can be effective and play alongside both Roy & Oden. If not I wouldn't be surprised to see the Blazers unload him while he still has "potential." Both Orlando and the Clippers wanted to draft him. Maybe there's still some interest and the Blazers could deal him for future 1st rounder?

4. BLAZER PROPHET

BLAZER PROPHET Well-Known Member

dental malpractice claims adjuster
    I don't know if Webster can really "break out" when he's called upon by Nate to be a complimentary player. Also, Nate has to see to it Travis gets his playing time as well. I doubt either player will have their minutes greatly reduced regardless of how well the other plays.

5. tlongII

tlongII Legendary Poster

Systems Analyst
    Martell will be getting lots of open looks so I think this could be a big year for him.

6. The_Lillard_King

The_Lillard_King Westside

Make or break year for Webster. I think he knows this as he spent all summer working out. Apparently he is looking leaner than ever before.

Webster did come out of HS, so I think the Blazers will be patient with him. Also, the Blazers need the three point threat, which Webster gives them. If Webster can play soilid defense, I think there is a spot for him on this team.

7. Cake

Cake Member

I think there's a chance he does break out, but the deck is stacked against him it would seem.

With as much competition as he has for minutes, any little injury that sits him for a week is going to have major impact on the rest of his season. Not to mention the fact that his psyche seems a bit fragile and a weeklong shooting slump might just send him into a 2 month long funk. Without guaranteed big minutes, he's walking a razors edge between being productive and being the 11th man on the bench.

I'd also add that I think he generally sucks, so even if he does remain healthy and shoots it well the whole season, I doubt he 'breaks out' I can see a similar stat line for him though.

I think his best chance to 'break out' is actually on the defensive end of the floor.