Williams 2 Prisco 0

Discussion in 'NFC East' started by Cowboy71, Sep 21, 2006.

1. Cowboy71

Cowboy71 Dallas Cowboys *********

Back in July, Pete Prisco designated Cowboys S Roy Williams as the most overrated player in the NFL.

http://www.sportsline.com/nfl/story/9542704

Now, I have to give some analysts major props because it is difficult to watch all the games, enough to understand what is going on in the games, and give a reasonable analysis. It is for this reason, I don't dog on a lot of players without watching them first.

Prisco, to me, has usually been a complete idiot when analyzing players, so the Williams pick this summer really did not surprise me. Its no secret that he has never been a big Cowboys fan, and his article also point to that obvious point. He mentions the MNF game last year where Moss went deep twice late in the game to lift Washington over Dallas, without the knowledge of what the coverage was supposed to be.

Williams run defense has never been questioned, but his coverage skills have been highly criticized. I'll admit that he isn't an elite coverage guy, even for a SS, but its not as bad as its made out to be. So, its nice through two games of this season to note that Williams already has 2 picks despite babysitting a rookie FS.

2. cubuffsman78

cubuffsman78 nfl-*****s member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Cowboy71)</div><div class='quotemain'>Back in July, Pete Prisco designated Cowboys S Roy Williams as the most overrated player in the NFL.

http://www.sportsline.com/nfl/story/9542704

Now, I have to give some analysts major props because it is difficult to watch all the games, enough to understand what is going on in the games, and give a reasonable analysis. It is for this reason, I don't dog on a lot of players without watching them first.

Prisco, to me, has usually been a complete idiot when analyzing players, so the Williams pick this summer really did not surprise me. Its no secret that he has never been a big Cowboys fan, and his article also point to that obvious point. He mentions the MNF game last year where Moss went deep twice late in the game to lift Washington over Dallas, without the knowledge of what the coverage was supposed to be.

Williams run defense has never been questioned, but his coverage skills have been highly criticized. I'll admit that he isn't an elite coverage guy, even for a SS, but its not as bad as its made out to be. So, its nice through two games of this season to note that Williams already has 2 picks despite babysitting a rookie FS.</div>
    I don't think he's having to babysit Pat Watkins nearly as much as he had to babysit Keith Davis. Watkins is actually the leading tackler on the team after the 1st two weeks. I said right after he was drafted in the 5th round that it was a steal and he would be a starter this season. Porky can back me up on that statement I believe so it doesn't sound like I'm just making something up after he won the starting job.

Williams did not have a great year last season. There's no denying that. He did struggle and there were reasons, but I liked that he wouldn't let excuses come up and took responsibility himself. That told me he'd be working on improving this offseason. He's looked very good in coverage this season and no doubt that Prisco was way off.

3. Cowboy71

Cowboy71 Dallas Cowboys *********

I did and do agree on Watkins. He is a player. However, per Parcells and Williams himself, Roy is helping Watkins out pre-snap to eliminate some confusion and things like that. I wasn't intending that Watkisn wasn't playing well.

4. cubuffsman78

cubuffsman78 nfl-*****s member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Cowboy71)</div><div class='quotemain'>I did and do agree on Watkins. He is a player. However, per Parcells and Williams himself, Roy is helping Watkins out pre-snap to eliminate some confusion and things like that. I wasn't intending that Watkisn wasn't playing well.</div>
    Ahhhh ok gotcha...I'd much rather have someone babysat pre snap rather than during the play. Watkins is a one of a kind speciman for his position. That's why he fell to the 5th round. No one had ever seen a 6'5 free safety before. His height really helps him cover a lot of ground in a hurry though.