Winston Could be a 1st Rounder

Discussion in 'NBA Draft' started by Shapecity, Jun 27, 2005.

1. Shapecity

Shapecity S2/JBB Teamster Staff Member Administrator

<div class="quote_poster">Quote:</div><div class="quote_post">The day Kennedy Winston has been visualizing for years is at hand.

On Tuesday night, Winston is certain to hear his name called out as part of the two-round NBA draft. The only question for the Prichard native: Will NBA commissioner David Stern announce his draft selection in the first round, or will that go to a deputy in round two?

"I think it's going to work out well," said Winston, Mr. Basketball 2002 in Alabama and an All-SEC choice for the Crimson Tide. "I just hope it goes like I'm wanting."

survey of Web sites show the 6-foot-6 shooting guard is on the cusp of being a first-round pick.

Some analysts, such as cbssportsline.com's Tony Mejia project Winston to be taken with the No. 20 pick by Denver.

"He's what the Nuggets are lacking -- a shooting guard with athleticism who can both defend and knock down an open jumper," Mejia wrote. </div>

Source

2. Char

Char JBB Nowitzness

I like his size, 6'6, reminding me of the likes of Jordan, but I don't think he is nearly as athletic(few are). If he can consistently defend and hit open jumpers, he'll have a good career in the NBA. May very well be one of the sleepers of this draft.

3. Sir Desmond

Sir Desmond JBB Stig!

Sonics Director of Player Personnel Dave Predergraft has Winton on his "Fear List", that is players he'd be scared to draft, but also scared to pass on.

Kennedy would be a good fit in Seattle.

4. HASAN33

HASAN33 JBB JustBBall Member

i just dont see how he can go first round-doesnt play d, primarily outside shooter, scared of the post, average rebounder-is this scottie thurman 2005? even though luther head is smaller, i would take head over kennedy any day of the week

5. BigBlueFan

BigBlueFan BBW Member

<div class="quote_poster">Quoting HASAN33:</div><div class="quote_post">i just dont see how he can go first round-doesnt play d, primarily outside shooter, scared of the post, average rebounder</div>
    Most teams really like Winston because he's in the 6'6-6'7 range and is a shooting guard. He is a great ball-handler and good passer, but as you said- defense is his main weakness. But I'm not sure what you mean that he's primarily an outside shooter, yet he's been known for blowing by his man and getting to the bucket. He's got a great first step and is a high riser. Believe me, Winston is a very intriguing prospect in my eyes.

6. Char

Char JBB Nowitzness

Size is the best asset you can have in the draft and the NBA. There are lots of guys who get a shot in the L because of their height, yet they can't play a lick. I always like the old saying, "you can't teach height". [​IMG]

7. Sir Desmond

Sir Desmond JBB Stig!

What teams like about Winston is not only is he a scorer, but he has the sort of game that will produce points in the NBA - there is a difference between being a potent scorer in college, and also having the game to score in the pros.

Headfakes, jabsteps, the ability to create space between himself and his man, a quick release and excellent footwork, which are the appropriate tools for an NBA shooting guard.

8. HASAN33

<div class="quote_poster">Quoting Pwn3d!:</div><div class="quote_post">What teams like about Winston is not only is he a scorer, but he has the sort of game that will produce points in the NBA - there is a difference between being a potent scorer in college, and also having the game to score in the pros.

Headfakes, jabsteps, the ability to create space between himself and his man, a quick release and excellent footwork, which are the appropriate tools for an NBA shooting guard.</div>

The only problem with that analysis is that there arent many teams considering him in the first round-if that analysis was correct he would be a lock for the first round and you would hear his name thrown around a lot more--i thought he should have some out last year but i though he had a subpar year-he looked as though he was going through the motions playing not to get hurt-we'll see

9. Sir Desmond

Sir Desmond JBB Stig!

<div class="quote_poster">Quoting HASAN33:</div><div class="quote_post">The only problem with that analysis is that there arent many teams considering him in the first round-if that analysis was correct he would be a lock for the first round and you would hear his name thrown around a lot more--i thought he should have some out last year but i though he had a subpar year-he looked as though he was going through the motions playing not to get hurt-we'll see</div>

I'm not saying he doesn't have any weaknesses - he does and it's those weaknesses (injuries, question marks about his intensity, defense) which may keep him out of the first round. However he does have an appropriate offensive arsenal to succeed as a pro swingman.

10. HASAN33

wow he didnt even get drafted-he'll make someone's team-it makes you wonder why he came out or what type of advice he was getting

11. Alley-oop

Alley-oop JBB JustBBall Member

He didn't get drafted because of his health issues. Whoever signs him will benefit, just think Marquis Daniels...

12. Sir Desmond

Sir Desmond JBB Stig!

<div class="quote_poster">Quoting Alley-oop:</div><div class="quote_post">He didn't get drafted because of his health issues. Whoever signs him will benefit, just think Marquis Daniels...</div>

Yeah that's what I've heard, warning signs about his knees.