Winston vs Mariota

Discussion in 'Oregon Ducks' started by Natebishop3, Jan 7, 2015.

1. Natebishop3

Natebishop3 Don't tread on me!

I just really don't understand this idea that Jameis is more NFL ready, or a better athlete, or can make better throws. I find it absurd that people project MM as some kind of project. I think Winston is going to be another Manziel. I think he's a better QB than Manziel, but the guy is a child. If you give him money and you take away the bubble at Tallahassee, the guy is going to get into trouble. His attitude during the second half of the Rose Bowl said it all to me. He's immature, he can't handle the adversity of getting his shit handed to him, and that is practically guaranteed as a rookie next year.

Am I missing something?

2. BrianFromWA

BrianFromWA Editor in Chief Staff Member Editor in Chief

I think what you're hearing is the bias of how Jimbo ran a pro-style (ish) offense at FSU where they have NFL route trees and throws similar to what he'd be expected to do next year. (I won't bring up that he threw 17 picks in that system against the likes of ND/NCSt/BC/etc) The "knock" on Mariota that I keep hearing down here is that a) he could really use a bit of bulking up and b) people are scared that UO is still a "gimmicky" offense, and MM hasn't "proven himself" in a pro-style offense.

Now, whether that's true or not? No idea. I only got to see 2 Duck games this year (and one was the Rose Bowl)

3. Natebishop3

Natebishop3 Don't tread on me!

Obviously the Ducks run a system, and that system plays to the strengths of Mariota. With that said, I see someone like Kaepernick as a system quarterback. He thrived in the zone read and has struggled mightily in a more conventional NFL offense. I don't see MM having that problem. Sure, there's going to be an adjustment period, but I just really don't think Kaepernick is very smart. I don't think he's capable of going through his progressions and checking down. He tries to force throws. If his #1 option is covered, he tries to gun it in anyway. Mariota is much too intelligent to have that problem. There's a reason why he had so few interceptions in his three years in the CFB. I have watched both quarterbacks extensively and I don't see the comparison at all. About the only similarity between Kaep and MM is that they both sometimes try to make things happen when they should realistically get rid of the ball. That comes with being an incredible athlete and thinking they can make something happen with their legs. And sure, sometimes they do. Sometimes they make an amazing play that a lot of quarterbacks could never dream of making, but they also eat sacks and occasionally lose the ball. That's where the similarities stop for me.

Kaep seems completely uncomfortable playing in the pocket. I think Mariota could be completely comfortable playing in the pocket.

4. Quack U!

Quack U! Member

Captain Crab Legs = Vince Young and maybe if he's lucky, almost as successful.

Marcus = Steve Young with a bit more athleticism.....

5. BlazerDuckSeahawkFan94

BlazerDuckSeahawkFan94 AWOL

Winston has a McNabb skill-set with the brain of Vince Young

Mariota has a Russell Wilson skill-set with the body of Randall Cunningham

6. Quack U!

Quack U! Member

Would it be safe to say that Mariota is a little bit faster than Cunningham? It will be the cerebral part of the game that will make Marcus a legend and he has that aspect and preparation to his game to make it happen! Winston does not, nor the judgment.

7. santeesioux

santeesioux Just keep on scrolling by

Trolling the internet
    They obviously aren't similar players at all, and i'm not saying MM will be anywhere near as good as him, but this reminds me of Peyton Manning vs. Ryan Leaf, with Jameis being Leaf.

8. BrianFromWA

BrianFromWA Editor in Chief Staff Member Editor in Chief

If the comps are "Steve Young but more athletic" and "Russell Wilson in Randall Cunningham's body", you don't need to apologize for saying someone won't be as good as Manning. He'll win 5 SBs and 5 MVPs.

9. Quack U!

Quack U! Member

All a win/win and far better then any other Heisman QB has done in 20 years at the QB spot!

10. JFizzleRaider

JFizzleRaider Sad Panda Global Moderator

Come on guys, Steve young but more athletic? Mariota looks to be a stud, but to anoint him as so without playing one nfl game is homerism at it's finest. Steve young was an absolute stud.

Winston is not better than mariota, I think Tampa takes mariota, which is probably the best place for him given the possibilities of teams that need a qb.

I'd just hope Tampa doesn't taken Winston because he plays at fsu, because I don't think anyone could really succeed as Tennessee's qb.

11. Quack U!

Quack U! Member

Well now that Crab Legs has entered the NFL draft some are saying he even after the Rose Bowl beat down, is the higher rated QB than Marcus and will be taken first. The thought is he runs a pro style offense as a Nole and that translates instantly at the next level. His interception ratio, or his blinding lack of speed sure doesn't seem to concern the pro scouts. Add he challenges his coaches authority, refs and is a PR nightmare and this assessment seems about right. Yet most important to pro scouts it seems is Winston's far superior arm strength to Marcus's, I'm sure they'll be many secondary's on pic 6's that will be a great test group for consultation later.

Marcus not being the top QB taken and getting to a team with a slim hope of an O line might be a BLESSING in disguise though. Let's hope he throws the ball into the bleachers a few times at the combine, drops a few snaps, and trips under center or has a cold while running his 40. Perhaps then the Rams, Bears or Falcons could give him a year to get his feet wet before being thrown to the wolves as he most surely will with the Bucs, Titans or Jets....