Wojnarowski: ‘Don’t Buy’ That Bulls Have Tuned Out Thibodeau

Discussion in 'Chicago Bulls' started by Denny Crane, Mar 20, 2015.

1. Denny Crane

Denny Crane It's not even loaded! Staff Member Administrator

Never lost a case
    http://chicago.cbslocal.com/2015/01/21/wojnarowski-dont-buy-that-bulls-have-tuned-out-thibodeau/

(CBS) A day after a report surfaced that Bulls coach Tom Thibodeau is on the “hot seat,” Yahoo Sports NBA insider Adrian Wojnarowski — the best news breaker in the business[​IMG] — downplayed any concerns that Thibodeau’s job is in jeopardy and that players have tuned him out.

“I don’t know where the idea of him getting fired has come from, but I don’t think that’s going to happen,” Wojnarowski said in an interview on the Mully and Hanley Show on Wednesday morning.

“Listen, teams go through ruts — especially teams who are pushed and as driven as the Bulls are. There are times the coach’s act runs thin and they’re tired of them. That happens through stretches. That happens to everybody. I still think — and people around the league that I talk to think — that they’ll come out of this. This isn’t where the Bulls expected to be in the standings … (and) I’m not saying this isn’t an issue to deal[​IMG] with. I just don’t see this as a long-term (problem), this team has checked out on him. I don’t buy any of that.”

The Bulls are fourth in the East at 27-16 but have lost six of their past eight games[​IMG], often looking listless while doing so, creating talk that Thibodeau had lost hold of the locker room. That theory gained more traction Tuesday when writer Chris Sheridan reported that Thibodeau “is simply too hardcore, too much of an oddball personality, and runs his best players into the ground both in practices and games.”

Sheridan suggested Thibodeau’s “job will be on the line” as the Bulls embark on a tough stretch that includes games against the Spurs and Mavericks before heading out on a long road trip.

Wojnarowski hasn’t been hearing that Thibodeau’s job is in jeopardy. He simply believes many are in a panic because this type of a struggle by Chicago hasn’t been seen before.

“People are used to seeing the Bulls have players out injured,” Wojnarowski said.

“They’re used to having guys out and the team — there’s times in the past when they’ve struggled to score the ball — but they’ve never really struggled to defend[​IMG]. And whoever Thibs has put on the court, for the most part, no one’s questioned the effort, no one’s questioned how hard they’re playing.

“And for the most part, the results defensively were very good. To me, that’s what’s changed here. (Joakim) Noah is as good a defensive player as there is in this league. He’s the best defensive player at his position, certainly. And you’ve seen that drop-off with him out.”

Listen to Wojnarowksi’s full interview here, as he explains the Bulls still have championship hopes.

2. speeds

speeds $2.50 highball, $1.50 beer Staff Member Administrator GFX Team

Aren't we supposed to be under the impression that the Bulls have Woj in their pocket based on recent rumours, or am I remembering that incorrectly?

3. Bullsville

Bullsville Intelligent Bulls Fan

Sportswriter
    I could be wrong, but I'm pretty sure any time any member of the media says something critical of Thibs, said media member is in the Bulls' pocket.

Praise Thibs, and you are giving factual, honest journalism.

speeds likes this.
  4. Denny Crane

Never lost a case
    It's the other way around. Cowley and others are ripped because they don't smooch management's behinds.

5. transplant

transplant Global Moderator Staff Member Global Moderator

I'm happy to hear Woj tell everyone to chill. Good advice. Thibodeau isn't being fired in the next couple months. There's a title to be chased. Let's concentrate on the fun stuff (the games) as long as there's fun stuff to be had.

6. Bullsville

Sportswriter
    Great point transplant, there is no way in hell Thibs is going to get fired before the end of the playoffs.

But how much pressure do you think he's under now to win big in the postseason? I'm not sure there's a better top-5 on a team than:

PG - Rose, only 4 years removed from being NBA MVP
    SG - Butler, an All-Star this year, All-Defense last year, top-15 in scoring, top-5 in steals
    SF - Mirotic, started getting serious minutes 11 games ago, giving us games of 29, 29, 27, 26, 25 and 23
    PF - Gasol, All-Star this season, leads the league in double-doubles, top-5 in rebounds per game and blocked shots per game, top-25 in points per game
    C - Noah, 1st Team All-NBA and All-Defense and Defensive Player of the Year last season

I honestly don't think there's a team in the NBA that can beat the Bulls' combination of scoring, rebounding, passing, ball-handling, defense and shot-blocking.

Last edited: Mar 20, 2015
  7. kukoc4ever

kukoc4ever Let's win a ring! Staff Member Moderator

Rose isn't MVP Rose anymore. Noah this season isn't 1st team all-NBA Noah.

Vegas has 7 teams ahead of the Bulls right now in the NBA futures to win the title. The Bulls are not the odds on favorite by any stretch.

This roster, if Rose could be close to MVP Rose again, very well could be a favorite. It isn't since Rose isn't even all-star rose when he plays and once again he's wearing a suit Rose, which sadly we're all used to seeing.

8. truebluefan

truebluefan Administrator Staff Member Administrator

Marc Stein

http://espn.go.com/blog/marc-stein/post/_/id/3625/3625

9. transplant

transplant Global Moderator Staff Member Global Moderator

Thibodeau's been flipping off Bulls' management for a while. If he doesn't really want to stay in Chicago, and if what everyone says is true about every NBA team lining up for him as soon as he's available, then I'd say that he's under no pressure to win in the postseason.

10. Denny Crane

Never lost a case
    Two of those guys aren't able to play, one of them is on a minutes ration. But yeah, in someone's imagination they're all out on the court playing.

11. Bullsville

Sportswriter
    "If he doesn't really want to stay in Chicago" then of course that changes everything. He's better off getting swept in the first round if he doesn't want to be there, so he can start negotiating his way out of town ASAP. If you believe that 25 or so teams would kill to have him on their bench, that's a lot of people to talk to, a lot of people who will need to work out an agreement with GarPax so the Bulls can be compensated for letting Thibs leave.

I was basing my statement on the assumption that he doesn't hate it here, and that in fact he wants to keep coaching the Bulls. He signed an extension to stay here, after working for GarPax for two years and having the chance to see what monsters they are. And after GarPax didn't retain his buddy Ron Adams.

12. Bullsville

Sportswriter
    :rotfl::rotfl:

in the postseason

I guess I should have explained myself better.

You see, the "postseason" are those games that the teams play after the regular season is over. "Postseason" is also commonly referred to as the "NBA Playoffs".

That's not what is going on right now, the games they are playing now are called the "Regular Season".

I know you're not familiar with that "minutes ration" thingy, since GarPax just invented it so they could be meanies to poor widdle Tommy, but those go away in the postseason. They are used during the regular season to keep guys healthy for that "postseason" thingy I mentioned earlier.

Not that 32 minutes is some crazy ration for a 30-year-old big man with a history of knee and foot problems who just had knee surgery last summer...

13. Denny Crane

Never lost a case
    Another unintelligent post.

Keep trying, that intelligence might show through.

These guys "in the postseason" haven't played more than a handful of games together.

The "regular season" is when you tune up the team for the playoffs.

And there's no guarantee that any of those guys are going to be healthy in the playoffs.

Act a fool, I'll call you a fool.