Wolves have made ‘backchannel’ contact with Tom Thibodeau about coaching

Discussion in 'Minnesota Timberwolves' started by truebluefan, Feb 11, 2016.

1. truebluefan

truebluefan Administrator Staff Member Administrator

On Thursday morning, ESPN’s Brian Windhorst appeared on the Mike & Mike radio show to discuss the NBA. During the segment, Windhorst revealed that the Timberwolves may already be searching for a permanent head coach.

“In the modern NBA, the Knicks job is not the best job. I think the best job that’s potentially going to be open is the Minnesota Timberwolves. Sam Mitchell is the interim coach. I don’t think he’s keeping that job long term and I think the people in the Timberwolves organization are already looking at Tom Thibodeau. In fact, I’ll just tell you, sources are telling me that there’s already been some cursory contact between either back channels or whatever between the Wolves and Thibodeau.

“Whether or not that happens, I’m just telling you, the Timberwolves job is a great job. There will be lower expectations. They have two guys that look like bona fide annual all-stars in [Andrew] Wiggins and [Karl-Anthony] Towns. They had a really nice win last night and both played great. They’re gonna have another high draft pick, they’re gonna have cap space. I think that’s the best job that’s gonna be available this summer”

Later, Windhorst said in a radio interview Thursday with Phil Mackey and Judd Zulgad on 1500 ESPN that the Timberwolves coaching job, should it become available, would be one of the most sought-after jobs in the NBA. Windhorst also made it clear in that interview that the contact with Thibodeau was from backchannels, and not from GM Milt Newton or current team owner, Glen Taylor.

Thibodeau was a great coach in Chicago. In five years with the Bulls, Thibodeau compiled a 255-139 record (.647 winning percentage). Of course Thibodeau was known for his grueling rotations, but in spite of that, his players seemed to genuinely like him.

With Thibodeau, the Timberwolves would get an experienced coach who would continue to build on the defensive foundation that Sam Mitchell has begun to lay. The current Timberwolves roster features players who have the potential to fit into that style as well.

- See more at: http://www.1500espn.com/wolves-2/20...el-contact-with-tom-thibodeau-about-coaching/