Worst Lottery Pick In The Last Decade

Discussion in 'NBA Draft' started by KICKSDADDY613, Mar 31, 2005.

1. KICKSDADDY613

KICKSDADDY613 JBB JustBBall Member

I have compiled my worst lottery picks, one from each year (cuz I could have gone nuts) from 1995-2004. Now I know it's an early read on 2002-2004, however, signs are signs and the players listed so far not only have not produced, but were big time stretches for various reasons. ALL opinions are welcome and I will follow this up tomorrow with my GREATEST STEALS of the draft, a decade edition from 1995-2005. Enjoy.

1995-SHAWN RESPERT-MICHIGAN ST.-MIL. #8
    1996-TODD FULLER-NC STATE- GOLDEN ST #11
    1997-RON MERCER-KENTUCKY-BOSTON #6
    1998-MICHAEL OLOWOKANDI-PACIFIC-LAC #1
    1999-ALEK REDOJEVIC-EUROPE-TORONTO #12
    2000-MARCUS FIZER-IOWA ST-CHICAGO #4
    2001-SAGANA DIOP-HIGH SCHOOL-CLEV. #8
    2002-NICKOLOZ TSKITISHVILI-EURO-DENVER-#5
    2003-DARKO MILICIC-EUROPE-DETROIT-#2
    2004-RAFAEL ARAUJO-BYU-TORONTO #8

Trend is, not only after '98, the NBA wasted a lot of high picks on European kids in that ever so continuous persuit of the next Dirk and Peja. But Toronto likes to watse lottery picks on over reaching big men. Most of the worst picks also seem to be on over grown teddy bears who dont have game other than being 6-10 or taller. None of you want me to post what players were passed on for these clowns. But, however, I think you will all have fun with my edition of the biggest steals (I'm talking 2nd rounders) tomorrow. Enjoy arguing! [​IMG]

2. briang8818

briang8818 JBB JustBBall Member

Diop = Horrible.

However, if he wasn't so horrible, we might not have got LeBron

3. Tracy1

Tracy1 JBB JustBBall Member

Even tough I'm from Serbia & Montenegro(i live in the same town where Milicic started playing basketball)i think Darko is the worst pick from1995-2004,it didnt seem to affect Pistons game but it's a waisted pick Pistons could have picked Chri Bosh if they wanted a talanted big man.In the end Darko ends up with a RING what an irony. [​IMG] [​IMG]

4. REREM

REREM JBB JustBBall Member

Thw Warriors went through a period where they would collect big men,via the draft or otherwise,seldom play them,and when in their rare 4 min appearances,they'd look mediocre,they'd get glued to the bench until half the roster was injured. Todd Fuller,Cliff Rozier,Donyell Marshall,and Adonal Foyle all went through this. Meanwhile Felton Spencer and Vic Alexander played C. Alexander looked like a chubby Sean May in slo motion. Spencer was 7 ft,yet blessed with no more basketball ability than a typical beagle. Rozier,Marshall,and Fuller did get some freak opportunities,would grab a dozen boards in a game- then the minutes went back to Spencer. Rozier and Fuller likely had always played the game,but had a few years of being forced to NOT play,and pretty soon it did ruin what talent they had. Marshall had nothing but DNP's for a month-he just seemed to lack optimism in practice (duh) then a number of injuries meant he had to play,and he resurfaced with a 28 pt 15 rbd game. No way he could be glued back to the bench. Fuller,and Rozier might have thrived with proper development. Chris Washburn,drafted a few years earlier was another story. In a good year for big men,he was #3. Don Nelson later said they couldn't play him,no matter how simple he could never remember the plays. He is 6-11. He's built like the ulimate power F,has speed. Has the brains of a cabbage. Has a coke habit. has zero work ethic. Warriors soon dump him for a round 2 pick. New team dumps him. He gets a 10 day temp,and then is released by that team. He plays a month or so with several CBA teams. Cut. Not 5 years after being pick # 3-he's homeless. By comparison poor Todd Fuller-also from NC St,looks pretty decent.

5. Shapecity

Shapecity S2/JBB Teamster Staff Member Administrator

They traded to get Tom Gugliotta to get Donyell Marshall, they didn't draft him. One of their worst drafts was Alexander, Gatling, and Shaun Vandiver

I agree though, the Warriors have had their share of woes in the draft. I think they did better drafting in later positions instead of their lottery picks. Tim Hardaway & Latrell Sprewell the prime examples of that.

6. Shapecity

Overall good list Kicksdaddy. My one disagreement would be 1997. I think Olivier Saint-John (aka Tariq Abdul Wahad) was a worse pick than Ron Mercer. Ron Mercer was a servicable role player, but Saint-John has been rotting on the Mavs bench for quite a few years now. With all those big men busts, it just goes to show how valuable a real big man really is in the NBA.

7. 44Thrilla

44Thrilla cuatro cuatro

I'd say Olowokandi. Mostly because it was the first pick, and it was such a deep draft.

2. Mike Bibby Arizona Vancouver
    3. Raef LaFrentz Kansas Denver
    4. Antawn Jamison North Carolina Toronto
    5. Vince Carter North Carolina Golden State
    7. Jason Williams Florida Sacramento
    8. Larry Hughes St Louis Philadelphia
    9. Dirk Nowitzki DJK Wurzberg (Germany) Milwaukee
    10. Paul Pierce Kansas Boston
    11. Bonzi Wells Ball State Detroit
    15. Matt Harpring Georgia Tech Orlando
    17. Radislav Nesterovic Kinder Bologna (Italy) Minnesota
    19. Pat Garrity Notre Dame Milwaukee
    21. Ricky Davis Iowa Charlotte
    22. Brian Skinner Baylor LA Clippers
    23. Tyronn Lue Nebraska Denver
    25. Al Harrington St Patrick's (NJ) HS Indiana
    39. Rafer Alston Fresno State Milwaukee
    41. Cuttino Mobley Rhode Island Houston

Those players are all, IMO, better than Olowokandi. When 18 players end up better than the number one pick, it has to be the worst.

8. Mr. J

Mr. J Triple Up

I don't think Darko can be a bust. Look at how many minutes he gets!!! He plays for an old school coach not giving anytime to a rookie much less a 19 year old one. How is it people can call him a bust when he barely plays? I just don't understand that.

9. Shapecity

<div class="quote_poster">Quote:</div><div class="quote_post">Now I know it's an early read on 2002-2004, however, signs are signs and the players listed so far not only have not produced, but were big time stretches for various reasons.</div> MrJ18, he put this disclaimer in his original post, explaining why a guy like Darko is on his list.

10. truba03

truba03 JBB JustBBall Member

To judge the last 2 as failures is harsh on them. Sure the two big men have struggled, in a new league and a new culture, but they both have time on their side. Neither were drafted as impact players, so give them a couple more years before judging them two harshly.

Remember others who struggled early on, people might have said Michael Redd was a bust after playing 35 minutes in his first year, or that Rashard Lewis playing just 20 games in his rookie year, was a mistake.

Give these players time, if they are still struggling at the end of their rookie contracts then start to criticize.

11. JWohl

JWohl JBB Lovin the BCS

worst

the worst draft pick in the lottery of the last few years HAS to be Michael Olowakandi. In such a amazingly deep draft to take him over all those future-all stars is just terrible. I agree with mrj that is wrong to lable Darko a bust yet. From what I've seen of him in garbage time he has enourmous skill and potential and could end up being an all-star down the road. He hasnt had the chance to play yet so how can he be a bust? Another terrible draft pick (though 2 picks outside the lottery) was the Knicks taking Frederick Weis 15th who never played in the US [​IMG]

12. Mr. J

Mr. J Triple Up

<div class="quote_poster">Quoting shapecity:</div><div class="quote_post">MrJ18, he put this disclaimer in his original post, explaining why a guy like Darko is on his list.</div>
    I know, I should have quoted a specific person. It was in response to <div class="quote_poster">Quote:</div><div class="quote_post">Even tough I'm from Serbia & Montenegro(i live in the same town where Milicic started playing basketball)i think Darko is the worst pick from1995-2004,it didnt seem to affect Pistons game but it's a waisted pick Pistons could have picked Chri Bosh if they wanted a talanted big man.In the end Darko ends up with a RING what an irony.</div>

13. Mr. J

Mr. J Triple Up

<div class="quote_poster">Quoting JWohl:</div><div class="quote_post">the worst draft pick in the lottery of the last few years HAS to be Michael Olowakandi. In such a amazingly deep draft to take him over all those future-all stars is just terrible. I agree with mrj that is wrong to lable Darko a bust yet. From what I've seen of him in garbage time he has enourmous skill and potential and could end up being an all-star down the road. He hasnt had the chance to play yet so how can he be a bust? Another terrible draft pick (though 2 picks outside the lottery) was the Knicks taking Frederick Weis 15th who never played in the US [​IMG]</div>
    I heard Weis was a very decent pick and could have turned out decent. What ever happened to him? Where is he now?

14. Shapecity

<div class="quote_poster">Quoting mrj18:</div><div class="quote_post">I heard Weis was a very decent pick and could have turned out decent. What ever happened to him? Where is he now?</div>
    He's still in therapy from the Vince Carter teabag dunk. [​IMG]

15. Peja King

Peja King JBB JustBBall Member

<div class="quote_poster">Quoting mrj18:</div><div class="quote_post">I heard Weis was a very decent pick and could have turned out decent. What ever happened to him? Where is he now?</div>

i think he retired since he got dunked on by VC

16. Mr. J

Mr. J Triple Up

It makes you think how good the Knicks could have been if they actually drafted players. that played for them. I'm still curious in what Layden was smoking.

17. 02civic

02civic JBB JustBBall Rookie Team

Respert shouldnt be on that list. He had tremendous skills and put up decent numbers during his limited minutes. The guy got cancer and was still trying to playing NBA ball. Thats heart! Shawn wasnt a bad pick, he could flat out score.

18. JWohl

JWohl JBB Lovin the BCS

dunno

guess he was just too embarresed to come over to the states......decided to keep his ballin in Europe

19. Tracy1

Tracy1 JBB JustBBall Member

<div class="quote_poster">Quoting mrj18:</div><div class="quote_post">I don't think Darko can be a bust. Look at how many minutes he gets!!! He plays for an old school coach not giving anytime to a rookie much less a 19 year old one. How is it people can call him a bust when he barely plays? I just don't understand that.</div>
    I watched him when he played here, i've watched him play 30 minutes and still have just an average or a bad game.He struggled in our league that is not so good.He should of stayed in Serbia or gone to Europe to develop his talent,right now he is just a potential, and if he doesn't get the minutes he will stay just a potential.

20. KICKSDADDY613

KICKSDADDY613 JBB JustBBall Member

<div class="quote_poster">Quote:</div><div class="quote_post">Respert shouldnt be on that list. He had tremendous skills and put up decent numbers during his limited minutes. The guy got cancer and was still trying to playing NBA ball. Thats heart! Shawn wasnt a bad pick, he could flat out score</div>

Respert was diagnosed after he already feel out of the NBA. He was a bust before he left after just 4 or 5 years. I loved watching him at MSU, and yeah he could score, but he was a 6-3 2guard with no handle and couldnt play point.

<div class="quote_poster">Quote:</div><div class="quote_post">Remember others who struggled early on, people might have said Michael Redd was a bust after playing 35 minutes in his first year, or that Rashard Lewis playing just 20 games in his rookie year, was a mistake</div>

Redd will be on the biggest steal list. and, remember, these are LOTTERY busts. No one expected much from Redd or Lewis, but Redd was a mid 2 and Lewis was crying in the green room. No one expected them to come out guns blazing!