Would a Piston Upset be the all time biggest??

Discussion in 'Detroit Pistons' started by Philjacksonsux, Jun 13, 2004.

1. Philjacksonsux

Philjacksonsux JBB JustBBall Member

Should probably be a poll but the hell with it. I just dont recall there ever being a bigger underdog dominating a basketball series. I am trying to think since Ive been on this planet and dont remember a bigger upset. I guess the Sonics back in the 70's was a minor upset. This to me would be the biggest sports upset since the Dodgers dismantled the mighty A's in the World Series. Memo to Al Micheals in case Detroit wins Tuesday. You already used "Do you believe in miracles??". [​IMG]

2. Knicks Analyst

Knicks Analyst JBB ? Israel ?

DETROIT'S WINNING THE NBA FINALS WILL BE ONE OF THE BIGGEST EVENTS IN SPORTS HISTORY! AND MARK MY WORDS, IT WILL HAPPEN!!!

WOOO-HOOO!!!!!!!!!!

IT'S OVER,BABY!!!!!!!!!

(Or at least its really close)

3. SupraJames

SupraJames JBB JustBBall Member

My definition of an upset is when a team that's much weaker beating the other team that's far better REGARDLESS of hustling. This is just based on talents. In this case, I think the media gives Detroit less credit than they deserve. They're a much more balanced team with greater depth than the Lakers coached by one of the best coaches in NBA history. I don't think it's the biggest upset of all time, maybe an upset, but not that big. Most of the notion of Pistons being the "underdog" is because of the media anyways [​IMG]

4. Glen Infante

Glen Infante JBB Trend Setter

No it wouldn't be an upset. Detroit is playing like kings and deserve the trophy from what I see. The biggest upset is if the Lakers come back and win the whole thing down 3-1.

5. Rudeezy

Rudeezy JBB Senior *********

Yes this would/will be an upset but it is by no means a huge one. The Pistons were a great defensive team but nobody knew exactly how good they were. The Lakers were exposed in every aspect and are being humiliated. The Pistons aren't getting lucky, they are that good.

6. Warriorfansnc93

Warriorfansnc93 JBB JustBBall Member

I have to say it is a HUGE upset based on opinions before the series started. Rudeezy, just think about how the Warriors wooped up on the Pistons on national TV. Imagine, we could have been there! Pistons have definately turned it up a few notches. I dont know if it is about the Pistons being that good, or if it is the Lakers being that bad! Whether it is from cockiness, or lazyiness. Maybe the role players are the difference makers.

7. malt-tones

malt-tones JBB JustBBall Member

8. Warriorfansnc93

malt tones, what does the sound click say? I can not hear it at work.

9. theclown1

theclown1 JBB JustBBall Member

It would be a upset if the Pistons win but that wont happen. LA Lakers will be the first in history to come back after 3-1 and still win it.

Remember what i said

10. Warriorfansnc93

I am not saying it is not possible. It is fairly conceivable if they win game 5 in Detroit, then rides the home crowd all the way through game 7. But they are too old, tired, and they dont realize it yet.

11. mydi619

mydi619 JBB JustBBall Member

Yes this is what I'm worried about. Who do you think will be the hungrier team in Game 5, they both have reason to.... Detroit wants to win it now and at home and LA won't give up yet. I guess we'll have to see.

12. Jumpman

Jumpman And Your Nominees Are...

<div class="quote_poster">Quoting Mr_Infante:</div><div class="quote_post">No it wouldn't be an upset. Detroit is playing like kings and deserve the trophy from what I see. The biggest upset is if the Lakers come back and win the whole thing down 3-1.</div>

Exactly, The Pistons are playing like they already are champions, and if they win, its no upset. But if the Lakers win the champion dispite of a 3-1 deficeit, then that would definetly be the biggest upset in franchise history. But if the Pistons do win, its not much of an upset.

13. Rudeezy

Yes it is technically possible that the Lakers win the next three but what makes you think they will? It took a miracle shot just to avoid getting swept. The Pistons have given them no life. Yesterday was a must win game for the Lakers yet they still got out played. This series is over.

14. Warriorfansnc93

Yesterday was a must win, but even more so is game 5, literally.

15. Rudeezy

<div class="quote_poster">Quoting Warriorfansnc93:</div><div class="quote_post">Yesterday was a must win, but even more so is game 5, literally.</div>Yea, everygame is a must win for the Lakers from here on out. I really don't even see them winning game 5 but I have been wrong many times before.

16. Emo

Emo Active Member

If the Detroit Pistons win, it should be one of the biggest upsets in NBA Finals history. Knowing that the Lakers added more "firepower" to their roster by adding Gary Payton and Karl Malone, and I hypenate the word firepower because what have they done in the NBA Finals?? Excluding Karl Malone because of his leg injury, Gary Payton hasn't done a damn thing. Besides playing a 82 game season, and being the healthy Laker all season long, he disappeared and vanished into a huge shadow which he could never crawl out of. Once again, it'll be hard for me to say, but the Detroit Pistons were the better team. You won't hear that coming out of Shaq, Kobe, Rick Fox's. or Phil's mouth, but they outplayed and outcoached us showing us that it isn't about talent. It's about heart and the will to succeed no matter what the odds are. They deserve to be champions, although I won't be watching the trophy presentation. I've already told my cousin that when the Lakers lose Tuesday night, and the clock says 0.00, turn off the TV, and we're heading to see a movie. [​IMG]

17. Warriorfansnc93

<div class="quote_poster">Quoting Rudeezy:</div><div class="quote_post">Yea, everygame is a must win for the Lakers from here on out. </div>

true

18. Warriorfansnc93

So, if they lose, is it rebuilding time for the Lakers? Malone' knee is done and he wont be back next year. Payton is probably going to have to retire. I can not see anyone paying him big bucks the way he has played this year. Phil might not sign a new contract. Kobe could be a free agent. Shaq will be traded. So I guess the Laker's young core will be Kareem Rush, Devon George, and Medvedenko...

19. Rudeezy

<div class="quote_poster">Quoting Warriorfansnc93:</div><div class="quote_post">So, if they lose, is it rebuilding time for the Lakers? Malone' knee is done and he wont be back next year. Payton is probably going to have to retire. I can not see anyone paying him big bucks the way he has played this year. Phil might not sign a new contract. Kobe could be a free agent. Shaq will be traded. So I guess the Laker's young core will be Kareem Rush, Devon George, and Medvedenko...</div>I thought the Lakers were going to hang on to Shaq? They would be stupid not to, even at his age.

20. N4S

N4S BBW Member

Does anyone agree with me on this, everyone is saying that Detroit playing great defense in this series. But I think that the team is also looking like an offensive juggernaut as well, they are getting points from the big 3 RIP, RW, and CB but then there getting chip-ins for every one else on the squad. They are presenting us the real definition of "TEAM-WORK" and it's beautiful.