Would we be a better team if...

Discussion in 'Oklahoma City Thunder' started by Sir Desmond, May 2, 2004.

1. Sir Desmond

Sir Desmond JBB Stig!

Let me start off by saying hindsight is a beautiful thing.

In the jostle for small forward positioning in Seattle, between Rashard Lewis and Vladimir Radmanovic, there is one name that keeps bobbing up:

Desmond Mason.

Now it may seem a silly comment to make, but would we be a better team with Desmond at small forward? Obviously at the time of his trading, there was no way both Payton and Lewis would be gone in the same deal, and salaries would have prevented that anyway. But still, it's interesting to contemplate.

His strengths are exactly what this team lacks; he is tough, he hustles and he plays gritty defense. His weakness is his outside shooting, but again the team has more than anough of that to cover anyway, assuming he is replacing Rashard Lewis. He is at least the equal rebounder as Lewis and Radmanovic, despite being significantly shorter, and he is much tougher and plays better D than both combined.

Again, it's a tough comparison to make as circumstances would have prevented having Dez in this team with Ray Allen and not Rashard Lewis, but it's still food for thought.

Would this team be better with Dez at the three than Rashard Lewis? I would have to say yes.

2. Bez Koske

Bez Koske JBB JustBBall Member

Definetely. Besides a, "hood rat"(the way Barkley defines it)big man, Mason is the next thing that pieces this team together. Not to mention that Sonics would be much more entertaining.

3. Streetball2k5

Streetball2k5 JBB JustBBall Member

^Indeed, the sonics don't need players like Lewis who are all about offense and don't play D. Desmond Mason is just that type of player, his defense and rebounding are great for his size and he is a very entertaining player.

P.S - Supersonic I think you are the only true Sonics fan still posting here after they missed the playoffs.

------------------ EDIT

Wait wait wait, I forgot Shard! [​IMG]

4. Shard

Shard Hi2u

I think this Sonics team would be much better with Desmond Mason exactly for the reasons Supersonic outlined, trading Dez was like ripping the heart out of Seattle not only skill wise but personality and likability(real word?) wise.

Another scenario I ponder is if we could have traded Payton for a big man instead of Ray Allen thus leaving Shard-Mason-Barry and a Payton caliber player at PF or C. This fills one of the glaring needs the Sonics had this year but it also takes away their main scoring threat in Ray Allen. I know this is a pretty farfetched scenario but its just something to think about.

5. Eclipse

Eclipse JBB JustBBall Member

I think the Sonics should have kept Desmond. I've never really like Allen just because he's always been a one-dimensional player who doesn't play defence.

The Sonics aren't going to get any further with Allen and Rashard then they would've with Des and Rashard, so you got to play for the future and that means keeping Des even if it meant losing Payton for nothing in return

6. Sir Desmond

Sir Desmond JBB Stig!

<div class="quote_poster">Quoting _EcLiPsE_:</div><div class="quote_post">I think the Sonics should have kept Desmond. I've never really like Allen just because he's always been a one-dimensional player who doesn't play defence.</div>

You have the part about his defense right, but I don't like the notion that Ray Allen is a one dimensional player. Many people thought that in Milwaukee as that was the role he was given, playing with two shoot first guys in Sam Cassell and Glenn Robinson, however since joining Seattle he's averaged in excess of 23,5 and 5, and put up a couple of triple doubles. He has also assumed a leaderhip role with our young players, particularly Luke Ridnour.

<div class="quote_poster">Quoting _EcLiPsE_:</div><div class="quote_post">The Sonics aren't going to get any further with Allen and Rashard then they would've with Des and Rashard, so you got to play for the future and that means keeping Des even if it meant losing Payton for nothing in return</div>

Gary at the time was still a 20 and 8 player, and under the circumstances I think we did reasonably well. At the time he was making noise as if he would rather be dead than re-sign in Seattle, and we also got the pick that drafted Luke Ridnour and Flip Murray as a 'throw in'. I would never say that the trade didn't benefit us, because it clearly has IMO, but it's still an interesting thought about retaining Dez.

7. Rave

Rave JBB JustBBall Member

It's such a shame, 'Shard is a very good player on offense, and great guy off the court. But yes, Dez' would play much better than he does, he has the skills, the potential, the heart, but above all, something that 'Shard lacks. "Consistency." People shouldn't badmouth Allen, he's a really great player, who provides well for any team, he's basically the king of offense, he makes it look easy. Not to mention, how great a leader and person he is, people are lucky to have the chance to confer and council with him.

8. Quyen

Quyen JBB JustBBall Member

you guys are giving small credit to Allen...i mean, he should be credited for more than you guys said...i think he plays defense as much as any other player in the game...or at least attempts to...i mean, he doesn't just let the player go and shoot immediately...have you watched him against Kobe or any other players?...i admit Desmond was awesome...but Allen is just as great...if not credited for more outside of basketball as well...

9. Rave

Rave JBB JustBBall Member

<div class="quote_poster">Quoting anadagirlballer4strt:</div><div class="quote_post">you guys are giving small credit to Allen...i mean, he should be credited for more than you guys said...i think he plays defense as much as any other player in the game...or at least attempts to...i mean, he doesn't just let the player go and shoot immediately...have you watched him against Kobe or any other players?...i admit Desmond was awesome...but Allen is just as great...if not credited for more outside of basketball as well...</div>

True he does try, but trying is not the same as doing. He just fails too miserably at it. For someone with such quickness, speed and calmness, he just can't seem to do it. Not taking anything away from him, great player, great guy, but most importantly great role model and leader.

10. Sir Desmond

Sir Desmond JBB Stig!

<div class="quote_poster">Quoting Magic Johnson:</div><div class="quote_post">True he does try, but trying is not the same as doing. He just fails too miserably at it. For someone with such quickness, speed and calmness, he just can't seem to do it. Not taking anything away from him, great player, great guy, but most importantly great role model and leader.</div>

A few months ago you called Ray a great defender?? He is adequate, not bad, not good. His strengths are offensively, at which he is a super smooth scorer (try saying that 10 times fast). He is far from the best defender going around, but far from the worst as well.

As for the Dez question, I am talking about having Dez instead of Rashard, not Ray. Ray is a superstar and the franchise face, not to mention the team's only All-Star and household name.

11. Custodianrules2

Custodianrules2 Cohan + Rowell = Suck

Who's the best perimeter defender and defensive stopper on the supes?

12. Eclipse

i don't understand why Des has only started 30 of the 80 games he's played in in Milwaukee

he's getting 14 ppg with 30 minutes of playing time, you gotta think he could be a lot better with more playing time

i think the only reason why they had Tim Thomas as the starter was they gave him that huge contract and didn't wanted to admit that they screwed up (which happened anyways when they traded for Van Horn)

13. Sir Desmond

Sir Desmond JBB Stig!

<div class="quote_poster">Quoting custodianrules2:</div><div class="quote_post">Who's the best perimeter defender and defensive stopper on the supes?</div>

Antonio Daniels.

14. Sir Desmond

Sir Desmond JBB Stig!

<div class="quote_poster">Quoting _EcLiPsE_:</div><div class="quote_post">i don't understand why Des has only started 30 of the 80 games he's played in in Milwaukee

he's getting 14 ppg with 30 minutes of playing time, you gotta think he could be a lot better with more playing time

i think the only reason why they had Tim Thomas as the starter was they gave him that huge contract and didn't wanted to admit that they screwed up (which happened anyways when they traded for Van Horn)</div>

You've hit the nail right on the head there. It's exactly the situation in Seattle with their centers - anyone who watched the second half of the season would question why Vitaly Potapenko wasn't starting from the beginning, but as a coach, Nate McMillan really is pressured into giving the higher paid players the first crack.

Dez's starting numbers are very good (17 and 6), and he was superb while Thomas was injured, before he was traded. The fact that he brings such energy off the bench and has established himself as an effective 6th man probably hurts his credentials as a starter, but I think he should be starting 82 games a year. The fact that he moved into the starting line-up towards the end of the season reflects his poor finishing in the 6th man of the year voting, too, and he was most effective as a starter.

15. Eclipse

sometimes i hate all the politics in the NBA...many times coaches are forced to play inferior players just because the GM or the owner made a mistake by signing them to huge contracts

16. Captain Quicks

Captain Quicks JBB JustBBall Member

A Small Forward is what either makes or breaks a team. Desmond Mason is a stellar player and the Sonics would definitely be better if he was still here him at the 3 and Lewis at the 4 would work out fine. But, now DMase has a home in Milwaukee and he isnt even going to think about coming back to Seattle.

17. Sir Desmond

Sir Desmond JBB Stig!

<div class="quote_poster">Quoting PS11:</div><div class="quote_post">A Small Forward is what either makes or breaks a team. Desmond Mason is a stellar player and the Sonics would definitely be better if he was still here him at the 3 and Lewis at the 4 would work out fine.</div>

Doubtful. Rashard doesn't have the body, post game or ability to defend inside that would be necessary to play the 4, particularly in the West. It would be Desmond or Rashard.

<div class="quote_poster">Quote:</div><div class="quote_post">But, now DMase has a home in Milwaukee and he isnt even going to think about coming back to Seattle.</div>

Very true, but that wasn't the question. I expect Desmond to see out his career in Milwaukee.

18. notmuchgame

notmuchgame JBB JustBBall Member

With all this talk about Mason, don't forget Earl Watson...he's another "tough" defender that Seattle let go...

You would think a team coached by Nate McMillian wouldn't be soft defensively...but I guess it just comes down to the personnel. I'm not high on Lewis myself...and Mason would've been great for the sonics, but Allen was too good to pass on (i realize thats not the topic)...but to be on topic, yes, i think the sonics would be better with Allen-Mason than Allen-Lewis ....

19. Casual

Casual JBB First Team

I love The Cowboy a lot, but I've got to be realistic. Mason is 6'5", and Lewis is 6'10". Lewis is better offensively, and I'd rather have a big small forward than an undersized one. My heart's with Desmond, but my mind says Lewis. If we could fit him in at shooting guard, though, I wouldn't mind that...