Would you agree with Buker, that Riley has earned a "C" - and additional injury repor

Discussion in 'Oregon State Beavers' started by Targus, Oct 17, 2011.

1. Targus

Targus Suspended

Keeping you safe. If I tell you more, you would b
    I thought a C meant average. Average being .500. It seems like every post game interview (after a loss) Riley sits and says what the team "should" have done. It just feels like he Monday AM QB's his own team instead of actually preparing them and executing. He's not creative at establishing a run game...and without a run game...even mediocre teams play the pass and give Mannion fits.

How can a coach who many expected to potentially lead the 3rd of 4th best team in the Pac, perform so miserably and be average? If the Beavs would have won the Pac this year, Riley would get credit and be a hero...is it not the same when he can't compete?

He's also grading the team overall at a C-.

Agree or no??

Here's another crappy rundown of the RECENT injuries OSU is experiencing.

The biggest blow is the loss of run-stuffing 6-foot-3, 334-pound defensive tackle Castro Masaniai to a broken fibula.

Masaniai, said Riley, β€œis probably out for the year.’’

Middle linebacker Feti Unga, who has been among the Pac-12 tackles leaders all season, might be facing some down time. Unga (calf muscle) had an MRI Sunday, and the team is awaiting the results.

Middle linebacker Tony Wilson has a hip contusion, outside linebacker Cameron Collins a groin issue, and Taylor Henry has a bruised shoulder. None of the three has been ruled out for the WSU game.

Riley said the safety position is wobbly, too, with Lance Mitchell facing his usual abdominal/groin pains, plus Anthony Watkins and Ryan Murphy both have shoulder injuries – which may push Josh LaGrone and Tyrequek Zimmerman into more prominent roles.

http://www.oregonlive.com/beavers/index.ssf/2011/10/oregon_state_report_card.html

2. tlongII

tlongII Legendary Poster

Systems Analyst
    Re: Would you agree with Buker, that Riley has earned a "C" - and additional injury r

The grade should be no higher than a D. Buker is giving Riley and the team a pass because of injuries, but that is a weak excuse.

3. Targus

Targus Suspended

Re: Would you agree with Buker, that Riley has earned a "C" - and additional injury r

Tlong, where do you think the team would sit right now if 100% healthy? Wins with SacSt, BYU and UCLA?

Unfortunately, I think this week was the worst as far as injuries. Castro was the anchor. That's a BIG blow. I would have said the Agnew injury was major, but after his performance last week, I'm unsure. I mean, great kid...but to dominate so well in one game, then struggle big time...I guess it's not his fault - he's so young and basically being asked to establish and entire run game without the support of a good OL, QB who reads defenses OR blocking WR's...that tough.

Sorry to say it, man...but, this WSU team can play. I think it will be a pretty dominate win for them. I feel strongly that Paul Wulff will have his team better prepared - while talent wise the teams may be fairly equal - Wulff is going to get it done and Riley will be left giving us fans, "Golly, we shoulda..."

Sorry...rant over. Where do you think OSU would stand with 100% health?

4. tlongII

tlongII Legendary Poster

Systems Analyst

If we were 100% healthy we would have 1 or 2 more wins, but that's it. Our biggest problem is a lack of talent/depth on the offensive line as well as defensive back. I think we've addressed that over the last year with recruiting, but this year will continue to be painful. We should be better next season and then the season after that we should be much better. I underestimated how bad our recruiting in 07 and 08 really was. I think the Rodgers Brothers covered up a lot of problems in that area. We should never have gotten in this predicament, but we did. We can get out of it, but people will need to be held accountable.

5. Targus

Targus Suspended

I agree too. No way OSU should be losing to to Sac St., UCLA or BYU. Riley is historically weak in Sept with improvements mid and late season. This year the OSU schedule started soft but Riley wasn't able to deliver during that weaker schedule. I had heard trends were observed so a softer earlier schedule was set to "buck the trend" but oddly, it didn't happen

My biggest concern for OSU in moving forward and looking to next year is that we fans always anticipate 100% health at every position. I think they could be a .500 team, if 100% healthy, but the training/condition just doesn't seem to lend to a well prepared team. The AD dept is a mess, facilities aren't keeping up with other Pac12 schools and recruiting appears to be settling for athletes other teams haven't offered.

As one of the biggest Duck fans out there, there are traits that Riley possesses that I wish Kelly had. I think Riley has his place in Corvallis and can be an asset to Beav football, but he'd be better suited to an OL or DL - as was his history in assistant coaching. He's just so bloody soft with his coaching style and one can only expect that same approach to flow over to recruiting, facilities needs and the way he demands things from his support staff and players. I mean, a Buker headline is, 'Riley gets his dander up in practice and makes the players run one set of steps.'

That was a lot of background to say, I couldn't agree with you more that changes are needed in Corvallis, and it starts with Riley. Unfortunately, OSU is locked into a long term contract with Riley and is financially strapped.