WR Jones wants to achieve lofty goals

Discussion in 'NFC North' started by truebluefan, Jul 8, 2010.

1. truebluefan

truebluefan Administrator Staff Member Administrator

"There were more than 80 players out there this spring and summer and literally dozens of new faces. Green Bay Packers coach Mike McCarthy had to study them all, some on first impressions, everyone in a blur. It's not easy to become distinguishable in a crowd like this.

Yet receivers James Jones and Jordy Nelson managed to separate from the crowd.

"Outstanding off-seasons," said McCarthy during the last Packers minicamp. "If you go through the films, James Jones, just from a production standpoint, probably stands out as one of the top performers through the OTAs. He's gotten a lot of opportunities, particularly in the slot with Donald's absence, and I think he's done a very good job of that."

It's never a bad thing to get praise like that from the head man. Except it was June.

Jones would like to hear it again in November.

He did his best when he got more practice time in veteran receiver Donald Driver's slot spot while Driver rested his 35-year-old knees.

But Jones, heading into his fourth year, wants a lot more than attention.

He wants a 1,000-yard season and a time share in the end zone.

"I have set my goals. I definitely want to have a 1,000-yard season. That comes with opportunity, so we'll see," Jones said. "I always tell myself to shoot for 1,000 yards and double-digit touchdowns.

"We'll see if the opportunities present themselves. I can't run without the ball."

The tone in Jones' voice wasn't whiny or sarcastic. It was the voice of a realist, and he spoke matter-of-factly.

Jones once again finds himself on a team stocked with talent with the intent to balance the offense between the pass and the run.

That means the hard, cold facts boil down to simple math.

Aaron Rodgers averaged almost 34 pass attempts per game last year, and he always aimed to spread them around his talented receivers, tight ends and even running backs."

http://www.jsonline.com/sports/packers/97825284.html

2. DP

DP He shoots, he scores!

James Jones, CAN achieve lots of lofty goals. The man has skill and talent. Love watching him play.