[Writer's Central] chingy0007's NBA Awards Selections (2007-08)

Discussion in 'NBA General' started by bbwchingy0007, Apr 17, 2008.

1. bbwchingy0007

bbwchingy0007 BBW Member

Article title: chingy0007's NBA Awards Selections (2007-08)
    Article description:
    Category: National Basketball Association
    Date added: Apr 17 2008, 09:55 PM
    Article starter: chingy0007

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE </div><div class='quotemain'>Most Valuable Player
    There is no doubt that, being a Cavs fan, I have some serious bias towards LeBron James for this award, but even I cannot deny that he does not deserve the MVP Award this season. There were times when it looked as though no-one could catch him for the Award, and it is a great testament to the League that a player averaging 30 points, 8 boards and 7 assists is probably 3rd in the MVP Rankings. The top two candidates are, in my opinion, Chris Paul and Kobe Bryant, but separating the two is nigh-on impossible. They have both carried their respective teams atop the Western Conference, against most predictions. My gut feeling is that Chris Paul might just deserve it more for this year, but Kobe equally deserves it for all the times he has missed out. I'll put my neck on the line and say I think it should be given to Kobe, but it might well be given to Paul.
    [​IMG]

Defensive Player of the Year
    I can't look past Marcus Camby here, no matter what people say about Kevin Garnett. Camby is averaging a monstrous 3.6 blocks and 13.2 rebounds per game (as well as 1.1 steals), whilst Garnett lags behind with a career-low 1.2 blocks to go along with 9.3 boards and 1.4 steals. He has brought with him some great intensity to the Celtics' defense, but I like Camby to retain his crown this season.
    [​IMG]

Coach of the Year
    This is another tricky award, but I can't look past the phenomenal job that Byron Scott has done in New Orleans. Last season the Hornets won just 39 games, but this season they have won 56 games, sitting pretty in the ultra-competitive Western Conference (and won the Southwest Division over the Spurs, Rockets and Mavs). Without any major changes to the roster, Byron Scott deserves full praise.
    [​IMG]

Most Improved Player
    There are a few candidates here; Aldridge, Rudy Gay, Mike Dunleavy, perhaps, but none are more deserving than Hedo Turkoglu of the Magic. He's transformed from a rotation player to a go-to guy down the stretch. That sort of improvement is not to be frowned upon, and I think he is the best candidate.
    [​IMG]

Rookie of the Year
    I can't look past the duo of Kevin Durant and Al Horford here. Both have put in stellar seasons, but I think that Durant will get the nod here, if only for his more spectacular play. Al Horford has been a solid rock for the Hawks, and rarely looks like a rookie and in some ways might be more worthy than Durant, but the man in Seattle has just been more of a highlight reel, despite sometimes looking out of his depth. One could start a conspiracy theory about Durant and Seattle, but I'll steer clear of that and make him my choice for ROY.
    [​IMG]

6th Man of the Year
    Manu Ginobili has essentially broken the mould for the 6th Man of the Year Award. It ought to be awarded to a bench player who makes a good impact whilst not playing too much. Instead, Manu will likely receive it as a star player who happens to come off the bench but plays over 30 minutes per game. He deserves the Award based on the definition, but perhaps that definition ought to be changed.
    [​IMG]

Surprise of the Year
    The strength in depth of the Western Conference. Nine teams had winning records, and Portland finished 10th at .500. Furthermore, the top 6 teams were separated by just 2 games. It is simply incredible and full credit should be given to those teams in the West for some fantastic basketball. Bring on the Playoffs.
    [​IMG]

I would also like to give a special mention to the NBA Marketing team, whose campaigns have been nothing short of brilliant this year. The slogans "where amazing happens" and "there can only be one" are second to none, and think that those behind the campaigns ought to be given credit for their ideas.

Disappointment of the Year
    The weaknesses of the East. Some of the play in the East has been boring at best. Many teams lack a certain spark and, whilst they can grind out some wins, they fail to excite viewers and, to be frank, are not always that interesting to watch. Furthermore, just 5 teams have winning records (the Raptors are .500) and just 3 have won 50 games (compared to potentially 8 in the West). When you look at the standings and see Atlanta with a record of 37-45 clinching a playoff berth in the East, and Sacramento squandering in 11th in the West with a record of 38-44, it becomes apparent that the East have little strength in depth. Nevertheless, a team from the East (Boston) could well win the Finals this year.
    [​IMG]</div>

2. pegs

pegs My future wife.

6th man- not Manu. I don't buy that. I'd sooner give it to a real bench player.

And Camby as DPOY is iffy...especially when considering the team defense of the Nuggets.

3. shankyoass

shankyoass Ceci n'est pas une pipe.

Well, isn't DPOY an individual award? So it shouldn't matter if the team is a good defensive team. If that was the case, then Camby should not have won it last year either. I think its stupid how all these awards are now becoming more team awards than individual awards. The award is called the defensive PLAYER of the year, not the best defender on the best defensive team. That's why I don't understand why people are saying KG is DPOY. His defensive stats have actually dropped from previous years (IIRC), and the reason for the Celtics being the best defensive team is not because KG has done anything special, it's just the team is more motivated to defend because of the arrival of KG and Ray Allen, giving the team hope that they can actually win.

Not to forget, the Celtics do have good defenders in Rondo, Posey, Perkins and Powe, so it's not like KG single handedly transformed the team.

4. Sir Desmond

Sir Desmond JBB Stig!

Martin is a better defender than Camby, and most definitely a better post defender. If you're going to go on stats then you may as well give it to Josh Smith.

Garnett has completely transformed Boston defensively. It goes beyond numbers here.