[Writer's Central] Down with the Wolf

Discussion in 'NBA General' started by Universe, Jan 7, 2008.

1. Universe

Universe Hall of Fame

Article title: Down with the Wolf
    Article description:
    Category: National Basketball Association
    Date added: Jan 7 2008, 01:12 PM
    Article starter: Universe

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE </div><div class='quotemain'>By Stephen Dyell

Joe Wolf was a man of very few words back in the day. Wolf was born in Kohler, Wisconsin back in 1964 while the Beatles were still in force and Jim Barnes had just been drafted first overall in the NBA draft.

Wolf grew up in a basketball family where him and his brother competed compressively, working each other to the full potential. No pick-up game was just a game, rather than Game 2 of the Finals to the boys. By the time Wolf was 14; his potential had grown to be known as one of the best upcoming high schools in the USA. By the end of his four years, he was known as the best high school player ever to step foot on a Wisconsin court.

Wanting to escape the limelight of home, Wolf chose to go to the University of North Carolina where he was lucky enough to be coached by legendary Dean Smith. He and team-mate Kenny Smith flourished under the staff at NC and by the end of four years; he had made a name that could be known around the country. With senior averages of 15 and 7, Wolf earned himself a great opportunity to be drafted high like others before him.

While team-mate Kenny Smith was snagged at 6, Wolf had to wait till the 13th pick when the Los Angeles Clippers added him to their frontcourt. Wolf was picked pretty high in a draft that had the names of David Robinson, Reggie Miller and Scottie Pippen and was ready to make a name for himself in the highest level.

After four great years of playing basketball, injuries began to hit Joe limiting him to only 60 to 70 games the rest of his career as he finally hung up the jersey in 1999. Wolf had played with the Clippers, Nuggets, Celtics, Blazers, Hornets, Magic and then even another run with the Nuggets and Hornets.

Though never an All-Star and never a Champion, Wolf made his name scoring in small roles and being a team player. He is regarded highly by all coaches for his understanding of the game and fellow team-mates.

Now he is putting everything he learned to basketball players who weren’t lucky like him to be drafted 13th overall. He is Head Coach of the Colorado 14ers in the Development League. Players are lucky enough to know that it’s not over and that dreams still can happen and get to see that with the likes of Mikki Moore and Luke Jackson.

Joe Wolf had some free time and answered some questions from the writer.

You played with Kenny Smith at UNC. How was the whole college experience for you?

<span style="color:#FF0000">Really enjoyed playing and learning from Coach Smith. Had a great four years earning a degree from a great academic institution and having great team-mates.</span>

Being a top high school basketball star, what was the hardest part of adjusting from high school basketball to college and then onto the NBA?

<span style="color:#FF0000">Competing in the class room and on the court with very gifted people.</span>

Who was the toughest big you’ve ever had to face?

<span style="color:#FF0000">Shaq</span>

It’s been twenty years since that draft day. What would you have changed about your playing days from your style to your free throw routine?

<span style="color:#FF0000">Understanding the game a little bit better to have more of an impact on every possession</span>

What was your most memorable moment in your entire career?

<span style="color:#FF0000">Winning a state championship (playing) with my brother Jim and coaching a state championship team with my brother Jeff as his assistant</span>

In today’s game, what team would you come back to play for, if in fact he could for just one season?

<span style="color:#FF0000">Phoenix</span>

Which team in the NBA would benefit from you the most? Do you ever consider going and becoming an assistant for Milwaukee or any other team?

<span style="color:#FF0000">Would love to be an assistant anywhere in the NBA</span>

How hard is it coaching when you know your best players can be called up leaving you making new game plan hours before a game?

<span style="color:#FF0000">Every coach in our league has to deal with it so I don’t let it bother me I just try to be as prepared as I can on personnel moves.</span>

What coach helped you develop into the coach you are today or do you have your own style?

<span style="color:#FF0000">Coach Dean Smith</span>

Most of all, Wolf should be remembered for his love and energy towards our game. The game that we all grew up in our small towns or big cities but we come together for this sport. What Wolf has done and is doing helps us find our love for the game playing pick-up or watching Kobe Bryant on the TV.

Joe summed it up telling how most of us feel as well.

“Basketball is important to me, whether it's this game or a game at the YMCA.”</div>