[Writer's Central] One-Third Report: Award Races

Discussion in 'NBA General' started by CelticBalla32, Jan 8, 2008.

1. CelticBalla32

CelticBalla32 Basketball is back in Boston

Article title: One-Third Report: Award Races
    Article description: By: Dustin Chapman
    Category: National Basketball Association
    Date added: Jan 8 2008, 05:02 PM
    Article starter: CelticBalla32

<div align="center"><span style="font-size:14pt;line-height:100%">One-Third Report: Award Races</span>
    By: Dustin Chapman

[​IMG]</div>

One-third through, the 2007-2008 NBA season contains a plethora of stories to tickle the hearts of basketball die-hards. From the resurged Boston Celtics to the ongoing massacre in New York, the NBA hasn?€™t left its fans disinterested. This season has been full of surprises (Portland, New Orleans, Orlando, individual breakout years), impressive feats (Phil Jackson passing Red Auerbach for total wins, Boston completing the fourth-best start in NBA history), disappointments (Miami, Chicago, Houston, Utah), and despicable embarrassments (New York, Minnesota). That?€™s not even taking into account the action-packed summer of 2007, containing the Tim Donaghy scandal, Kobe Bryant?€™s on-again/off-again feelings towards the Los Angeles Lakers organization, blockbuster deals involving multiple All-Star caliber players, a stacked draft class, and added legal discrepancies involving the Knicks. With the February 21 trading deadline nearing, along with 2008 NBA All-Star weekend in New Orleans, big stories will undoubtedly continue to unfold.

So much excitement. So much entertainment. So much drama. What better way to reflect on the young season with a glance at the award races?

Executive of the Year: Danny Ainge

Go ahead, crack your jokes about how Kevin McHale ?€œhelped the Celtics out.?€? The bottom line is that Danny Ainge has turned this team from a 24-win embarrassment to the most feared team in the entire league in the course of one summer. He transformed the roster from young to experienced, and has given both the NBA and the city of Boston exactly what they needed. The Celtics currently stand at 29-3, the fourth-best start in NBA history, and are simply dominating the opposition at both ends of the floor. Thanks to ?€œDanny Boy,?€? basketball is now back in Boston.

Other Top Candidates: Joe Dumars (DET), Chris Mullin (GS), Kevin Pritchard (POR)

-

Coach of the Year: Nate McMillan (POR)

McMillan has gotten his young core to buy into his system, which is completely team-oriented, and it has paid dividends. It's relatively unheard of to get a group of young players to settle into roles and a structured system while they are trying to make a name for themselves individually, but he has done it. Part of that is due to the fact that Portland?€™s roster is full of good guys who are about the name on the front rather than the back, which is something that has never been able to be said, but nobody expected this kind of play or poise from the Trail Blazers this season. Before the season got underway, they were thought of as lottery-bound once again, but they?€™ve proven all doubters wrong by winning 16 of their last 17 games. With that red-hot run, they currently sit at 21-13, good for the seventh seed in the western conference. To top it off, this all has transpired without their "savior," Greg Oden, who unfortunately is sitting out his entire rookie season due to recovery from microfracture surgery to his right knee. You've got to tip your hat to Nate McMillan for the way he has brought this up-and-coming team along.

Other Top Candidates: Doc Rivers (BOS), Phil Jackson (LAL), Byron Scott (NO)

-

Sixth Man of the Year: Manu Ginobili (SA)

Ginobili has been superb across the board. The one-time NBA All-Star is holding averages of over 19 points, four rebounds, and four assists per game, but has also stepped up when his team has needed him most throughout the injury woes in December. Through Tim Duncan?€™s four-game absence in early December, Ginobili put up 25.3 points per contest ?€“ including back-to-back 37-point performances - and helped San Antonio maintain a .500 record. San Antonio has managed to maintain the best record in the western conference throughout all of their health issues, and Ginobili is a big reason for it.

Other Top Candidates: Jason Terry (DAL), Travis Outlaw (POR), David Lee (NY)

-

Most Improved Player of the Year: Chris Kaman (LAC)

Barring injury, Kaman has this award virtually locked up. Many would not have been surprised with a double-double average, but nobody expected Kaman to be playing at an All-Star level. His 18.1 PPG, 14.0 RPG, 2.9 BPG averages are astonishing compared to the 10.1 PPG, 7.8 RPG, and 1.5 BPG he put up last season. It took a few years, but ?€œThe Caveman?€? is finally showing why the Clippers felt he was worth the sixth overall pick in the 2003 NBA Draft. He's one hell of a player, and has evolved from an above average center with injury problems to a top 5 center in the league in the course of one summer.

Other Top Candidates: Andrew Bynum (LAL), Marvin Williams (ATL), LaMarcus Aldridge (POR)

-

Defensive Player of the Year: Kevin Garnett (BOS)

Kevin Garnett has changed everything in Boston. Tom Thibodeau deserves a lot of credit for getting the team to buy into his schemes, but Garnett is physically, vocally, and emotionally anchoring the number one defense in the NBA. Marcus Camby?€™s numbers are ridiculous, but those jaw-dropping individual statistics don?€™t compare with Boston?€™s team success on the defensive end. Camby is currently leading the league in blocked shots (3.8 BPG) and is second in rebounding (14.0 RPG). Thanks to Garnett, however, the Celtics are leading in the league in the following team defensive categories: scoring defense (87.7 PPG), field goal defense (.412), three-point field goal defense (.307), opponents rebounding (37.4 RPG), and opponents assists (17.3 APG). In addition, they are second in steals per game (9.1) and fifth in forced turnovers per game (16.3). Enough said.

Other Top Candidates: Marcus Camby (DEN), Bruce Bowen (SA), Josh Smith (ATL)

-

Rookie of the Year: Al Horford (ATL)

This race is a lot closer than many initially envisioned. While the streaky Kevin Durant is leading all rookies in scoring (19.7 PPG), Al Horford is far and away the most polished rookie in the league and is helping the playoff-driven Atlanta Hawks on the defensive end a great deal. Don?€™t be alarmed by Horford?€™s low scoring numbers; his impact goes beyond the box score. However, with the way today?€™s NBA works, don?€™t be surprised if Durant?€™s name value and scoring average gets more love from the league.

Other Top Candidates: Kevin Durant (SEA), Yi Jianlian (MIL), Sean Williams (NJ)

-

Most Valuable Player: Dwight Howard (ORL)

Twenty-three and fifteen, are you serious? Not to mention, Orlando - though struggling recently - is a much improved basketball team at 22-13 (.629), good for third in the East. Howard has taken the next step and is rapidly becoming the most dominant big man in the NBA. To think that he?€™s only 22 years old is downright scary.

Other Top Candidates: Kevin Garnett (BOS), Chris Paul (NO), LeBron James (CLE)

Get your popcorn ready, NBA fans. The best has yet to come in 2008.

2. Voodoo Child

Voodoo Child Can I Kick It?

You know, I was expecting to come in here and read a lot of things I disagreed with, but I agree with almost everything you wrote. Nicely done.

The only thing I'm unsure about is the MVP, but I'd still favor Dwight at the moment as well. I like the inclusion of Chris Paul as a runner-up, because with what little media attention he's getting, you'd think he was having a quiet year, and yet he's the player I'd probably give the MVP to if Dwight were out of the equation.

I don't know about LeBron getting MVP consideration though. His team has too much talent for them to have the record they have, and even though Kobe has the advantage of Andrew Bynum in the middle, he should also be given a lot of credit for Bynum's development. Besides, at this stage in their careers, Bynum and Ilgauskas aren't that far off in terms of productivity. Obviously, Bynum's worth's a lot higher given his age, but my point is, LeBron's still got one of the better big men in the league to work with. I think I'd rank the MVP candidates as follows: Dwight, KG/Paul (tie), Kobe, Nash, Iverson, LeBron.

3. Денг Гордон

Денг Гордон Member

If this is just for right now, its going to be Ginobli, but Gordon is definitely going to win sixth man of the year for the season. 28.2 PPG on 51.2 FG% 45.2 3P% 93.6 FT% 4.5 RPG 2.8 APG. He is just a man among boys when it comes to being a sixth man. Ginobli puts up a noble effort, but by the end of the season it will be all for nawt.

4. Shapecity

Shapecity S2/JBB Teamster Staff Member Administrator

Great explanations, but I disagree on Kaman being the Most Improved Player. More than anything he's produced more because Elton Brand and Shaun Livingston have been out the entire season. Kaman's numbers look great in comparison to last year, because he struggled with the pressure of signing a big money contract.

Without Brand he's getting an extra 10 minutes a game this season. He's also putting up these big numbers playing on a losing squad. I have to hold that against him.

Right now I'm leaning towards Hedo Turkoglu as Most Improved Player. He's really elevated his game this season without much more additional playing time. He's on a winning team and makes a strong case for becoming a 1st time All-Star this year with his play.

5. Universe

Universe Hall of Fame

I didn't think I'd agree but I do. I think Bruce can win the DPOY this year but it should be a tight race.

6. Voodoo Child

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Shapecity @ Jan 8 2008, 06:36 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div><div class='quotemain'>Great explanations, but I disagree on Kaman being the Most Improved Player. More than anything he's produced more because Elton Brand and Shaun Livingston have been out the entire season. Kaman's numbers look great in comparison to last year, because he struggled with the pressure of signing a big money contract.

Without Brand he's getting an extra 10 minutes a game this season. He's also putting up these big numbers playing on a losing squad. I have to hold that against him.

Right now I'm leaning towards Hedo Turkoglu as Most Improved Player. He's really elevated his game this season without much more additional playing time. He's on a winning team and makes a strong case for becoming a 1st time All-Star this year with his play.</div>

I disagree. When Brand went out, Kaman changed his summer routine and began a different training regimine to improve his endurance. He lost a lot of weight while beginning a completely different type of workout routine more cardio focussed. So while Brand's injury was the catalyst for his improvement, his numbers have been the product of hard work more than opportunity.

7. Shapecity

Shapecity S2/JBB Teamster Staff Member Administrator

Kaman's usage rate is significantly higher this season than last. He's become the focal point of the offense without Brand available. Kaman's usage rate shot up from 17.2 last year to 20.9 this year.

The conditioning might explain why he's been more consistent than in the past, but the increased rebounding, minutes, and scoring is a direct result of Brand out of the lineup.

I know you don't like the Bynum hype, but this is a telling stat for him.

Last year Bynum's usage rate was 15.0 last year, this year it's only 15.8. He's getting the same amount of touches per 40 minutes, but he's producing almost twice as much.

Hedo Turkoglu went from 20.6 up to 22.1

8. Voodoo Child

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Shapecity @ Jan 8 2008, 07:06 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div><div class='quotemain'>Kaman's usage rate is significantly higher this season than last. He's become the focal point of the offense without Brand available. Kaman's usage rate shot up from 17.2 last year to 20.9 this year.

The conditioning might explain why he's been more consistent than in the past, but the increased rebounding, minutes, and scoring is a direct result of Brand out of the lineup.

I know you don't like the Bynum hype, but this is a telling stat for him.

Last year Bynum's usage rate was 15.0 last year, this year it's only 15.8. He's getting the same amount of touches per 40 minutes, but he's producing almost twice as much.

Hedo Turkoglu went from 20.6 up to 22.1</div>

Usage rate is a factor, but it's not the whole picture. If Kaman hadn't improved his conditioning and worked on his game as intensely as he did this summer, then he'd just be a player that's It wouldn't be the first time that's happened.

By taking the credit away from him, you're almost saying that any big man in that situation could have the same All-Star level productivity.

9. TucsonClip

TucsonClip Thursday Night in Tucson = Upset

Based upon pure statistics (ie. scoring, rebounding, blocked shots) I would go with Kaman. However, if you sit down and watch tape of Bynum last year compared to this year you can see a vast improvement. Along with the usage rate is Bynum's efficiency (21, 6th among centers), he is shooting 63% from the field and if the Lakers earn a top 4 seed, and he keeps the production up or even improves on it, I would give it to him.

10. Mr. J

Mr. J Triple Up

WHOA, I had no idea Kaman was putting up those numbers. 18/14/2 3 blocks?? I thought it would be something along the lines of 12/9, to be honest. You really don't hear this guys name a lot -- or at least I didn't. In other Clipper news, Tim Thomas is an awful basketball player.

Shape, Turkoglu has improved, but he can't compete with the likes of Bynum, Aldridge, Marvin, etc.

I think you should also include some other awards. Not just the obligatory MVP, DPOY, ROY, etc, but biggest disappointment, game of the year, or something else that will draw the readers attention. Just a suggestion. Good stuff, though.

11. pegs

pegs My future wife.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Shapecity @ Jan 8 2008, 06:36 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div><div class='quotemain'>Great explanations, but I disagree on Kaman being the Most Improved Player. More than anything he's produced more because Elton Brand and Shaun Livingston have been out the entire season. Kaman's numbers look great in comparison to last year, because he struggled with the pressure of signing a big money contract.

Right now I'm leaning towards Hedo Turkoglu as Most Improved Player. He's really elevated his game this season without much more additional playing time. He's on a winning team and makes a strong case for becoming a 1st time All-Star this year with his play.</div>

Gotta disagree with you there. Definitely give it to Kaman. Hell, he's a way better player than he was last year. Wasn't an injury bothering him last year too?

But this year, he really stepped it up. Now even MORE pressure is on Kaman this season. Hell, he coulda bitched out and played the same way he did before, but he's stepped up with his scoring, rebounding, and blocking.

Hedo's a good option, too, and I don't disagree with him being a good candidate. He's become a team leader on the Magic, and has stepped up multiple parts of his game -- scoring, playmaking, even defending better than he used to. If he won it, I'd definitely have no problem with that.

However, if Kaman lost out because of the reasons you described, I'd have to disagree with that.

12. Moo2K4

Moo2K4 NBA West Producer

I have to disagree with the MVP. As eye popping as his stats are, he's only the 3rd best candidate at best. Firstly, I look at Kobe. Sure, his stats are down from last year, but who cares? To me, he might be having his best season ever. His shooting percentage is solid and his team is better than the Magic while playing in the much tougher conference. And oh by the way, his team currently sits in 4th place because he's trusting others. He's playing much more mature this year and under control, and that's the biggest reason why the Lakers are currently one of the best teams in the league.

Next on the list has to be KG. He's the glue for that team. His stats may be down, but what did you expect? He has two other teammates he can defer to and trust to do so for the first time in his career. Not to mention that he's the key cog in that defense that's been the best in the NBA all season so far. Plus, his team is 27-4 and off to one of the best starts in NBA history, and definitely wouldn't be there without him.

Beyond those two, you still have LeBron who is putting up eye popping stats, and we saw how terrible his team is without him. Steve Nash is also putting up a brilliant season once again (though I still find him a product of the system). And let's not forget Chris Paul and the season he's having out in New Orleans, as well as my sleeper pick, Brandon Roy.

In the end, while Dwight is having a great season, there are more worthy candidates than him. Plus, with the way his team is currently free falling, it really makes you wonder. However, if you look at everyone else, they're teams are consistent and currently playing well. I love Dwight and all, but he's not the MVP in my book.