WTF is Colangelo doing?

Discussion in 'Toronto Raptors' started by deception, Jul 2, 2009.

1. deception

deception JBB Banned Member

im confused- does he want to add front court depth; a wing or does he want to resign all our players and return to the status quo? whats the goddam vision? does he want to keep the core intact? or does he want to rebuild around derozen? whats bosh's status? how about bargnani? he's going into his last year under his rookie contract and we dont here anything about an extension.

2. Chutney

Chutney MON-STRAWRRR!!1!

I don't think he's set on a specific plan until the Marion issue clears up. He's said that he's got several approaches in mind, depending on how that works out. We all knew it'd take a bit of time before it did, so I think Colangelo deserves a bit of patience before we can start calling him out. This offseason really is unlike any of the past ones.

3. deception

dude, this would represent his fourth offseason as raps gm, he's had ample time. first, it was lets go euro because no one else wants to play here then it was go big or go home with the acquisition of JO and now its ?

4. Chocolove

Chocolove Active Member

now its wait and see and be patient? this is probably the most important off season in the Colangelo era, a couple bad moves and Bosh is as good as gone. IMO Colangelo has to weigh every option out there.

5. DennisRodman

DennisRodman Suspended

Trading Villaneuva for Ford was a bad trade.

Then re-signing Ford to a 48 million contract, because it would look bad to lose Ford to free agency and trade away a rookie contract Villaneuva for nothing.

The only big man Ford's contract could attract was a Jermaine O'Neal who was clearly overpaid at 20 mill per season, and didn't have much in his legs, and had to package Rasho's expiring contract.

Calderon played well the contract year, and just doesn't seem to have the play creation efficiency.

It feels like the Raptors have made a bunch of band aid trades, and never built the right core.

6. Chutney

Chutney MON-STRAWRRR!!1!

I meant time, in the context of this offseason. As our GM, I agree that he's had plenty of time to show if he's right for the job and the results are mixed. But for this offseason, he really has no choice but to be patient and work on getting Marion back.

I think he's had a very clear direction this whole time. If they get Marion back, he'll re-sign Delfino (maybe Parker), and spend the MLE to round out the bench. If Marion leaves, he'll look to sign-and-trade him, and scour the free agent market with more cap space. My only worry was that all the significant players would be off the market by the time Marion made a decision, but it doesn't look like that'll be the case. A lot of agents are holding off on commitments because they know we could be a potential player that'll raise their client's value.

I'm not necessarily sure it was that bad a deal. Maybe we could have gotten more in terms of value, but Villanueva never exploded and fully realized his potential like I was afraid he would. From our end, the Ford-Calderon duo was incredible in '06 and easily worth giving up Charlie V (we had the best 48 minutes of PG play in the league), especially since Bargnani replaced Villanueva's skillset.

I think you could summarize Colangelo's tenure with the Raptors like this:

2006: an excellent offseason; he created a nice overachieving squad with a promising young core that would have major cap space in a couple years.

2007: a terribly complacent offseason; the team needed to shore up its perimeter defense and rebounding and the only noteworthy thing he did was bring in more shooters, which also added too much to our payroll.

2008: an overreacting offseason; this one was directly tied to his complacency the year before, as he panicked when the team predictably degressed and used his most valuable asset on a dangerous gamble that didn't work out and killed the team's depth in the process.

7. deception

if marion resigns it means we return to the status quo, in fact, we regress because we resign an older marion. also marion is apparently ready to wait it out so we also lose out on the most appealing fa's as well. so again i ask- whats the fucking plan that actually makes sense. i say dynamite the entire thing

8. Chutney

Chutney MON-STRAWRRR!!1!

Blowing it all up remains as plausible an option several months from now as it is now. I see nothing wrong with giving this a shot, and seeing how it works out in the early part of the season. Colangelo's banking on this team improving when its healthy across the board and has a full training camp together. It might not work at all but it's a decent bet, since none of the moves we'll make this offseason will hamstring us (Marion could be easily offloaded to a contender if we sign him to what BC's offering, the rest are young players on cheap contracts).