WVU Center Declares for NBA

Discussion in 'NBA Draft' started by Shapecity, May 4, 2005.

1. Shapecity

Shapecity S2/JBB Teamster Staff Member Administrator

<div class="quote_poster">Quote:</div><div class="quote_post">Kevin Pittsnogle, the driving force behind West Virginia's improbable run in the NCAA tournament, has declared for the NBA draft.

A 6-foot-11 junior, Pittsnogle has not hired an agent and is eligible to return to the Mountaineers if he withdraws his name by June 21.

"I just think it's good timing to go out and test the waters and see how I match up with some of the upper echelon talent," Pittsnogle said. "If it doesn't work out, I can come back and play my senior season."

Pittsnogle, who was married last fall, is hoping to win an invitation to the NBA predraft camp in Chicago early next month and is likely to work out for teams in the interim. West Virginia coach John Beilein said he and his staff will go through the NBA advisory committee to get an idea of where Pittsnogle might be taken.</div>

Source

2. BigBlueFan

BigBlueFan BBW Member

Nah, I think he'll be coming back because there's no way he'll be a first round pick with all the talent that's in this year's draft.

3. Voodoo Child

Voodoo Child Can I Kick It?

This is another one of those guys like Mike Wilkinson and Taylor Coppenrath, in that I can't understand why his draft stock is so low. He has great size at 6-11 and has a jumpshot. He was one of the biggest reason that West Virginia made their Elite Eight tournament run. If I had a late first round pick, I'd take Pittsnoggle over Louis Williams any day.

4. REREM

REREM JBB JustBBall Member

Why take a 6-11 guy you saw play great in the tournament,nail the clutch 3,play a pretty good overall game. Trade up and you can get an import who is a "great athlete a pure shooter....scored 5ppg,4 boards a game (wow) against the best minor league teams in Europe. Nah,trade up,maybe grab Martynas A the Lithuanian superstar backup who at 7-2 or whatever is already compared to Sabonis,Wilt,Kareem..except those guys never average 2pt a game.

5. bbwTwinTowers

bbwTwinTowers BBW Member

<div class="quote_poster">Quoting Voodoo Child:</div><div class="quote_post">This is another one of those guys like Mike Wilkinson and Taylor Coppenrath, in that I can't understand why his draft stock is so low. He has great size at 6-11 and has a jumpshot. He was one of the biggest reason that West Virginia made their Elite Eight tournament run. If I had a late first round pick, I'd take Pittsnoggle over Louis Williams any day.</div>
    Why would take him over Louis Williams, he can score most of the times and has a jumpshot but grabs 3-5 boards a game, now c'mon.

<div class="quote_poster">Quoting REREM:</div><div class="quote_post">Why take a 6-11 guy you saw play great in the tournament,nail the clutch 3,play a pretty good overall game. Trade up and you can get an import who is a "great athlete a pure shooter....scored 5ppg,4 boards a game (wow) against the best minor league teams in Europe. Nah,trade up,maybe grab Martynas A the Lithuanian superstar backup who at 7-2 or whatever is already compared to Sabonis,Wilt,Kareem..except those guys never average 2pt a game.</div>
    What are trying to get to here?

<font color="Red"><font size="1">*Please don't double post - VC</font></font>

6. bbwTwinTowers

bbwTwinTowers BBW Member

<div class="quote_poster">Quoting REREM:</div><div class="quote_post">Why take a 6-11 guy you saw play great in the tournament,nail the clutch 3,play a pretty good overall game. Trade up and you can get an import who is a "great athlete a pure shooter....scored 5ppg,4 boards a game (wow) against the best minor league teams in Europe. Nah,trade up,maybe grab Martynas A the Lithuanian superstar backup who at 7-2 or whatever is already compared to Sabonis,Wilt,Kareem..except those guys never average 2pt a game.</div>
    What are trying to get to here?

7. Voodoo Child

Voodoo Child Can I Kick It?

<div class="quote_poster">Quote:</div><div class="quote_post">Why would take him over Louis Williams, he can score most of the times and has a jumpshot but grabs 3-5 boards a game, now c'mon.</div>

Williams has probably had more exposure than any other High School player in the nation, and after watching all I could of him, I just don't think that he's going to be NBA ready for years. I don't think he's going to be a star when (or if) he develops either. He won't work at point guard because he's 6-2 and has pretty weak court vision, passing, and even ball handling to a degree. In my opinion, he'll only be effective as a shooting guard, but that'll be just as big of a challenge as playing point guard because he hasn't really had many experiences playing against 6-9 defenders like he'll face in the NBA.

Kevin Pittsnogle on the other hand has legit experience and size. He's more talented than people think. His numbers (11.9 ppg, 3.7 rpg) are far from impressive, but he started off the season as a backup and didn't get opportunities until the end of the season. Was it a coincidence that he only scored four points against Saint Bonaventure and one point against Coppin State, yet he scored 27 and 22 in his two meetings with Chris Taft and Pittsburgh towards the end of the year? I think not. That's clear evidence that this guy's numbers could be much greater if he had received the same playing time in the beginning of the season that he did in the end. Most players put up their best numbers against weaker competition; Pittsnogle came through in the clutch against guys like Chris Taft and Craig Smith.

So with that said, do you take the 6-2 unproven High School shooting guard or the 6-11, 250 lbs. proven college center?

8. REREM

REREM JBB JustBBall Member

I was,of course being a bit sarcastic. Some NBA people watched WVU's NCAA run and saw a good showing. With some "prospects" having shown no more than Pittsnogle,and by some standards,less,he ought to be real appealing to some teams.