Yahoo! Playoff poll

Discussion in 'Golden State Warriors' started by AnimeFANatic, Oct 6, 2006.

1. AnimeFANatic

AnimeFANatic JBB JustBBall Member

2. Custodianrules2

Custodianrules2 Cohan + Rowell = Suck

I put lottery. Fool me once, shame on you. Fool me 12 seasons in a row, shame on me.

3. Rudeezy

Rudeezy JBB Senior *********

Once again, Im putting my faith in this team and I BELIEVE. Playoffs.

4. Ryan

Ryan BBW Member

I voted for playoffs about 10 times already and I have to be at work today so I'll have plenty of time to vote more

5. AnimeFANatic

AnimeFANatic JBB JustBBall Member

Seems like people think the Warriors have a better chance than the Knicks.

6. Custodianrules2

Well of course the Warriors have a better chance than Isiah Thomas' Knicks... Chris Mullin ain't coaching so he doesn't have a chance to run a franchise into the ground twice as effectively!

7. Kwan1031

Kwan1031 JBB JustBBall Member

In a sense, you gotta admire what Thomas has done so far. He bankrupted CBA, ruined Toronto, did nothing in Indiana, and did worse job than previous GM, which considered impossible. But not only he still gets a job, he even beat out HOF coach and one of the two best coaches in NBA. If I can get a chance after chance with such a horrible resume, I don't have to worry about money in my life...

8. Custodianrules2

We'll just have to wait and see here. If guys like Ellis and Wagner get more playing time, it would theoretically improve our ability to penetrate because few defenders can match up with their quickness unless the opposing team also goes small.

Advantages: Attacking the lane helps get defenses to collapse onto the ballhandler, which allows teammates to get open for a wide open jump shot. This requires that ballhandlers can look ahead and memorize where there guys will be so they can kick out pass if they need to, or finish at the rim with a layup or dunk. Alternatively, another opening might be created by the ballhandler away from the ball as he forces help defenders to react to his movement. This happens by drawing an extra defender away from the lane down the middle or on the weakside near the basket. A good passing team could work side to side motion using driblbe penetration and off ball movement and get defenders so confused they can't react in time.

However, playing undersized with the speed/quickness advantage has its disadvantages.

1.) defensively guys cannot matchup as well individually. They cannot defend layups or jump shots because their reach is too short.
    2.) strength may not be as good as a taller player that weighs more and has more muscle to overpower the smaller player in the post (our defensive liability). This forces other guys on defense to help out on the defensive liability. Sometimes the help comes too late or the ball goes to the help defender's assignment for an open shot.
    3.) shooting still has to be there to honor any kind of attack with the ball i hand. It could prove to be difficult to shoot when a guy with a longer reach and longer strides can alter a shot from further away. In other words, taller guys with a long reach can play off and they have a better chance of playing the angles when keeping their distance.

Also for this dribble penetrating offense like Baron, Wagner and Monta Ellis. They need to be more dynamic than just ballhandlers trying to make bad shots from deep or bad shots at the rim. They need to move the ball, shoot well inside the open gaps in the defense, pass just like we expect Baron Davis to do this season. Otherwise, the ball just gets rocked around the arc for three quarters of the shotclock. Thus, the ball is never fed inside to guys moving without the ball or the attack never goes inside at all. It will be horrible if guys cannot shoot, finish at the rim, or finish at the foul line or else the defense will not react in the type of way to make good plays happen. It will be really bad one-on-one ball if setup players cannot set their teammates up because they do not play well enough for defenders to honor and respect their moves.