Yankees Beat Tigers

Discussion in 'American League East' started by YankeesDaily, Jul 18, 2009.

1. YankeesDaily

YankeesDaily Member

The New York Yankees beat the Detroit Tigers by a score of 2-1. C.C. Sabathia started and got the win. Mariano Rivera got the save.

I watched the whole game with my father today at my apartment. At first he was worried because C.C. was had a high pitch count but he made it through the game ok. I’m surprised he can pitch long into games because he’s over weight.

How about A-Rod? Wow, I’m surprised with his clutch hitting. After he hit the home run, you can see the look on Justin Verlander’s face like, “Are you kidding? That was a home run?” He had that weird smile on his face.

Then Melky Cabrera got a clutch infield single that scored Cano that gave the Yankees that second run. That didn’t surprise me because he’s been clutch all year long. We needed that base hit because Aceves gave up a run in the next inning.

Actually, according to the Yes Network announcers, A-Rod has been clutch all year too. They gave out some number but I don’t remember what it was.

Derek Jeter made a real nice defensive play in the 9th inning that used his typical jump and throw to first base. That’s his signature play.

You have to give credit to both pitchers because they both pitched well in the Yankee wind tunnel. Sure, A-Roid’s ball went out when maybe it shouldn’t of but it was still a pitching battle. Pitching battles can happen at the new Yankee stadium.

Player of the Game: C.C. Sabathia. Pitched seven shut out innings. Pitched like the pitcher he’s supposed to pitch like.