Yankees Close to Acquiring Alfonso Soriano

Discussion in 'New York Yankees' started by JeterRules20, Jul 23, 2013.

1. JeterRules20

JeterRules20 Member

http://www.cbssports.com/general/bl...-close-to-acquiring-alfonso-soriano-from-cubs

The Yankees are desperate for offense, and that desperation has led them to a familiar face.

CBSSports.com's Jon Heyman has confirmed a New York Post report that New York is close to acquiring outfielder Alfonso Soriano from the Cubs for an unnamed mid-level prospect.

http://www.nypost.com/p/sports/yank...LAf8iwpl9K?utm_medium=rss&utm_content=Yankees

dire need of a bat with thump and an indication the Yankees may believe that Alex Rodriguez isn’t going to play this season, the toothless Bombers are close to acquiring Alfonso Soriano from the Cubs, The Post has learned.

According to a person familiar with the talks, the Cubs will pay the bulk of what is left on Soriano’s contract. He makes $18 million this year and the same for next season.

2. yankeesince59

yankeesince59 "Oh Captain, my Captain".

...thanx JR.

...I hope that Cashman has much more up his sleeve than just Soriano.

3. JeterRules20

JeterRules20 Member

I agree 59. They need to look at catcher, RH 1st. baseman and a full time 3rd baseman to start. They better work quickly. Last night was almost impossible to watch.

4. JeterRules20

JeterRules20 Member

Congrats 59 on becoming a little league stand out...

5. yankeesince59

...lol...yeah, but considering the Yanx recent history of player development, I'm pretty much screwed. :biglaugh:

6. JeterRules20

JeterRules20 Member

Let's just hope they don't use the Joba Rules on you...

7. yankeesince59

...^^^ ...hmmm...I have a sudden urge to jump on a trampoline.

8. Messiah717

Messiah717 Moderator Staff Member Moderator

If it gets Hafner the hell out of here I'll go pick him up.

9. yankeesince59

...wait, you don't like Hafner? :lol:

10. Yblue

Yblue Member

Amazing. Just keep adding older guys. Where is the vision on this team? Guess it helps the offense short term, but if CC is gonna be pitching like a #5, what dif does it make? They should be trying to aquire as many prospects, even low level ones, as possible at this point, not adding more old dudes.

Last edited: Jul 23, 2013
  11. Rick2583

Rick2583 Chairman of the board

That's what I find amazing blue. I mean if you look at the link I started simply titled "FREE AGENTS" there's one thing about that list that stands out. And that is how many players on that list are 35 or better.

So while most teams are doing away with there older players, the Yankees are signing the older players. And this ladies & gentlemen is why Cashman.......is an idiot.

12. RustySpan

RustySpan Member

You guys are like a broken record, and never offer a solution, are there young guys available to add? nope.

13. bern_baby_bern

bern_baby_bern Member

Well, these guys aren't the Yankee GMs. Cash needs to make real trades. So, the free agent list is packed with older guys. Not bad to pick one or two up as pieces but it's time for Cash to get crafty with the pieces he has and bring some real talent that can stick around for a few years without hamstringing the team. There are plenty of holes to fill, let's see what you got. This move should tell you that the Yanks are buyers - whether you like the idea or not. You have a few guys to get rid of - convince Detroit that Joba can close...package Hughes with some of the young guys that will never make it up here…let a Mustellier-type have some kind of major league career somewhere…get us McCann…something, anything other than a parade of retreads.

14. Yblue

Yblue Member

Rusty you have the same tunnel vision the front office does. Its not about fixing an unfixable 2013 team by adding a 37 yr old OF with some power left and not much else. This isnt about adding Justice to a superb yankee team to make a serious WS push. This team is BROKEN. Its about looking toward the future and getting rid of guys just like that. Not adding more. The broken record is the yankees doing the same thing over and over and over and over. No one expects the yankees to get a blue chip prospect back, but my God, do something different besides adding washed up players one after the next.

Last edited: Jul 23, 2013
  15. Majorball

Majorball Well-Known Member

Gammons is reporting that they are considering a post count for you 59 in order to preserve what's left in the tank lol.

16. Majorball

With that said, it was like an eraser on a pencil, once that was used up, you either made no mistakes or you got a new pencil. If you weren't so spoiled to understand that the run we have been witness to for so many years and what seemed to be an automatic spot in the playoffs each year is over. Sports are like that. Just not in baseball but all sports, and the one thing about baseball is that there isn't a one man fix (LeBron for example). If any of you haven't come to the realization that this team is no longer fixable, then you have unrealistic expectations. The eraser is gone, time for a new pencil. Now with that said, that also includes the high minor league teams where there is possibly a reliever or a platoon player available for next year. This organization is broken and money can't even fix it.

17. yankeesince59

...wait, would that be a post count or a thread count...and please tell me that it applies to this board only and won't be retroactive and include ALL posts made in the last 14 years.

...if that's the case, I'm toast and I should simply "fade into Bolivian". (Mike Tyson quote)

18. Messiah717

Messiah717 Moderator Staff Member Moderator

Look I get frustrated just like everyone else but Majorball hits the nail right on the head here. This team has been in the playoffs every single year but one since the mid 90s. There were a couple of years that it didn't look good but they managed to make it. Everything blew up this year between the injuries and some of the players they went out and got not performing. Add on top of that you have hall of famers coming to the end of the line here. This idea that you can trade everyone and in exchange get super star 24 year old players in return and be ready to go or the next 15 years is absurd.

19. Yblue

Yblue Member

No one suggested they could get a 24 year old star. But going after more age and salary dumps is not fixing anything. Its what the yankees should be looking to get rid of, the same way Chicago is, not adding it. No vision for the furture with this org. None. To a disturbing level. The problem is the yankees are still chasing the playoffs right now, even though the writting is clearly on the wall that changes need to be made. Its not giving up, its being smart. Being smart is something the yankees havent been in years.

20. Majorball

MLB and the National Message Board Posters Union (better known as the NMBPU) with an emphasis on the PU are in negotiations to strike a deal. A spokesman for MLB and the PU Union confirmed that if there was enough evidence of past thread and post count abuse ina posters past, that the Posters Union would stand with MLB in considering any and all options when it comes to disciplining these habitual offenders.