Yankees sign Johnny Damon

Discussion in 'Other Sports' started by Rex Grossman 8, Dec 20, 2005.

1. Rex Grossman 8

Rex Grossman 8 NFLC nflcentral.net Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE </div><div class='quotemain'>NEW YORK -- The New York Yankees grabbed center fielder Johnny Damon away from the rival Boston Red Sox, reaching a preliminary agreement Tuesday night on a $52 million, four-year contract. Details of the deal were still being negotiated and Damon must pass a physical, a baseball official said on condition of anonymity because negotiations were not yet final. Damon fills a double void for the Yankees, giving them a speedy center fielder who can cover ground and a leadoff hitter to top a star-studded lineup that also includes Derek Jeter, Gary Sheffield, AL MVP Alex Rodriguez, Hideki Matsui and Jason Giambi. Bernie Williams' defense declined significantly over the past four seasons. And while Damon's arm is not much better, he does cover a lot of ground, which is important in Yankee Stadium. Agent Scott Boras had been seeking a seven-year contract for Damon. The offer Damon accepted was essentially the same as the deal Matsui agreed to with the Yankees last month.</div>http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=2266983

2. Brooksie5

Brooksie5 NFLC nflcentral.net Member

Jacque Jones went to the Cubbies [​IMG] .I hate the Yankees. [​IMG]

3. NFLCChosen One

NFLCChosen One NFLC nflcentral.net Member

What money can do for you . . .

4. VintageNYK

VintageNYK BBW Member

Ya beat me to it...JESUS IS A YANKEE [​IMG] But hes gonna have to shave all that hair off..

5. AdropOFvenom

AdropOFvenom BBW Member

I cant picture Johnny Damon as a yankee. He would have to cut his hair to be a member of the Yankees. [​IMG]

6. JHair

JHair NFLC nflcentral.net Member

Today is a good day to be a Yanks fan!

7. Roy_Rules31

Roy_Rules31 NFLC nflcentral.net Member

well, if it wasn't for my undying hatred of the Yankees...I might like this!...Damon..what are you doing! I don't blame him really...that's a hella lot of money

8. JHair

JHair NFLC nflcentral.net Member

That's gonna be awkward for him when he's gotta play the Red Sox next season as a Yankee, just plain awkward. Especially if they go to the playoffs against eachother.

9. AdropOFvenom

AdropOFvenom BBW Member

Im not too worried.In fitting Yankee Fashion, they went out and overpaid for a leadoff hitter who just happened to hit 3 for 13 for Boston in the playoffs last year, to go along with Giambi, A-Rod, and Sheffield in playoff chokers. [​IMG]

10. Sham

Sham BBW Member

This pickup will definitely help the Yanks at CF since Bernie Williams is getting old.