Yao sorry to see Tomjanovich go

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets' started by Phi_Slamma_Jamma, May 29, 2003.

1. Phi_Slamma_Jamma

Phi_Slamma_Jamma JBB JustBBall Member

<div class="quote_poster">Quote:</div><div class="quote_post">

HOUSTON -- Responding from half a world away, Yao Ming says he was sorry "legendary coach'' Rudy Tomjanovich announced his resignation as the Rockets' coach last week.

Yao, who is back home in Shanghai, China, issued a statement through Team Yao marketing representative Bill Sanders on Tuesday, television station KRIV reported.

"Rudy has accomplished a great deal during his years with the Rockets, and I feel fortunate to have had the time with him during my rookie season,'' Yao said.

Yao added that he considers Tomjanovich a "mentor, a role model and a friend.''

Tomjanovich, 54, stepped down Friday, citing his fight against bladder cancer and his desire to resume a more normal lifestyle after 12 seasons as Houston's coach.</div>

2. Hunter

Hunter Administrator Staff Member Administrator

I really dont think Rudy resigned on his own free will. I believe Les Alexander and the organization forced him to resign. Yao's comments show the world that Rudy T was more than just a player and coach for that organization but he was also a role-model and mentor for the players. You have to love coaches that are more than just coaches of the game of basketball.