Yi Jianlian Trade Ideas

Discussion in 'Milwaukee Bucks' started by tinyballer, Jul 22, 2007.

1. tinyballer

tinyballer JBB JustBBall Member

As you know the bucks have been struggling on low post defence and being able to stop people from always laying it up on them unharmed. Now you get one of the top defensive posts in Ben Wallace. Rid yourselves of a possible wasted 6th pick and get some value in return.

Bulls get: Yi Jianlian
    Bucks get: Ben Wallace

Why for the Bucks: Instead of dealing with the chinese crap they get a defender they need badly.

Why for the Bulls:They get a power forward/center who can score from the high post. Dump a future salary liability

2. Voodoo Child

Voodoo Child Can I Kick It?

How does this work cap-wise? The Bucks would have to throw in Bobby Simmons and Dan Gadzuric as well to balance it out. And even though Milwaukee needs defense, they need it moreso on the wing (which is weird, because they passed up on Brewer). Bogut's not a great post defender, but his rebounding and developing post offense are still too valuable for the Bucks to give up on. They just brought in Voskuhl as well.

BTW - I changed the title of this thread. It'd probably be better to open this thread up to any and all Yi trade ideas.

3. tinyballer

Well i mean when Simmons gets back i think he would offer better wing defence right and i mean ben wallace does not just offer good post defence he offers a dominant one that will better the defence dramatically. He would be like a mask to the problems. Bulls would take on Yi and gazuric because one Yi would give them a pf/c scorer 2) opens the market of the chinese world. 3 no negociation issues.

4. Voodoo Child

<div class="quote_poster">tinyballer Wrote</div><div class="quote_post">Well i mean when Simmons gets back i think he would offer better wing defence right and i mean ben wallace does not just offer good post defence he offers a dominant one that will better the defence dramatically. He would be like a mask to the problems. Bulls would take on Yi and gazuric because one Yi would give them a pf/c scorer 2) opens the market of the chinese world. 3 no negociation issues.</div>

Yeah, but Simmons would have to be included in the deal for it to work cap-wise. Besides, his quickness has to be limited now. I'm not a doctor, but a heel injury so severe that it keeps you out an entire season is bound to slow you down on both ends of the floor.

As for Wallace, I know what he'd bring to the table, but I don't think the Bucks are ready to give up on Bogut, and that's what they'd essentially be doing by bringing in Wallace. I guess you could always throw Wallace at the four and slide Villanueva over to the three to make up for the loss of Simmons, but even then, I don't think the talent adds up in this trade (when you throw in Simmons and Gadzuric and consider Wallace's overpaid, bloated contract).

5. Gee_Dupe11

Gee_Dupe11 JBB JustBBall Member

Yi Jianlian for Trevor Ariza

good trade IMO because thats your corey brewer right there

Trevor was about to have a super breakout season until he got hurt but hes about the same age as corey brewer and the same game

6. Voodoo Child

Here are two I came up with -

1) Milwaukee Sends: Yi Jianlian, Bobby Simmons
    Sacramento Sends: Ron Artest, Quincy Douby

That not only lands Yi out in California where he wants to be, but it gives the Bucks the best perimeter defender in the NBA and someone who's been going back-and-forth on demanding a trade from Sacramento. They also bring in Quincy Douby as a backup point guard just incase they can't resign Boykins or Bell.

2) Milwaukee Sends: Yi Jianlian, Bobby Simmons
    Houston Sends: Shane Battier, Rafer Alston

In this deal, not only does Milwaukee get the best perimeter defender outside of Artest, but they get a better backup point guard in the Sacramento deal. If I were the Bucks' GM, this would be the deal I would be pushing the most adamently, because I think Houston, who is actively shopping Rafer, would be intrigued by the possibility of improving their thinnest position with a player from Yao's country. Just imagine the media hype involving that a Yao-Yi frontcourt.

-----------------

EDIT: I saw the Milwaukee Desmond Mason signing right after this post, so that changes my opinion a bit. Redd/Mason is still a weak defensive duo on the wing, but Artest and Battier are both near 40-mpg players, and you don't want to have to deal with managing the playing time situation between them and Redd. It'd probably be smarter to bring in someone who could contribute defensively but won't expect a lot of minutes, like Bobby Jones from Philadelphia.

With that in mind, here are two updated scenarios I came up with -

1) Milwaukee Sends: Yi Jianlian, Bobby Simmons, Lynn Greer
    Philadelphia Sends: Andre Miller, Rodney Carney, Jason Smith, Bobby Jones

Jones' lack of offensive skills make him a throw-in in most deals, but Milwaukee could really use his defense. Miller and Carney don't bring much to the table for Milwaukee in terms of team needs, but it'd give them considerable depth, and Jason Smith sort of fills the void Jianlian is leaving. He's not as talented (although the talent gap isn't as big as most people say), but he'd be more satisfied with the back-up role. If you think about it, none of these guys really played for Milwaukee last season, so they're essentially losing nothing they had from last season and gaining four guys who can contribute and add depth.

2) Milwaukee Sends: Yi Jianlian, Bobby Simmons, Dan Gadzuric
    Los Angeles Lakers Send: Lamar Odom, Sasha Vujacic

On the surface level, it looks like the Lakers get raped in this deal, but Yi in the Los Angeles market would be huge from a financial point of view.

7. tinyballer

Milwaukee Sends:Yi Jianlian, Simmons.

Seattle Sends:Robert Swift, Mickael Gelabale, Nick Collision

Milwaukee acquires toughness in Collision, a possible shot block in swift and a perimeter defender in Mickael Gelabale. Also gets rid of a bad contract. Seattle gets another reason to stay in seattle. An asian player in a sufficient Chinese population. No reason to keep Gelabale with Durant and Green there. Collision could become expendable if yi comes because they have wilcox there. Seattle too many center projects. Great for both teams. Milwaukee gets defence. Seattle gets more fans.

8. Ming637

Ming637 BBW Banned

<div class="quote_poster">Voodoo Child Wrote</div><div class="quote_post">Here are two I came up with -

1) Milwaukee Sends: Yi Jianlian, Bobby Simmons
    Sacramento Sends: Ron Artest, Quincy Douby

That not only lands Yi out in California where he wants to be, but it gives the Bucks the best perimeter defender in the NBA and someone who's been going back-and-forth on demanding a trade from Sacramento. They also bring in Quincy Douby as a backup point guard just incase they can't resign Boykins or Bell. </div>

I don't think it's likely to happen. Artest wants to stay in Sacremento thinking that everything will get better on now that Coach Theus is taking over. He likes the situation and doesn't want to leave.

This trade would work well for the Bucks though, bringing in one of the better small forwards and perimeter defenders in the league. It lands Yi where he can become big and out in the West, for the Bucks' sake.

9. Shapecity

Shapecity S2/JBB Teamster Staff Member Administrator

<div class="quote_poster">Voodoo Child Wrote</div><div class="quote_post">Here are two I came up with -

2) Milwaukee Sends: Yi Jianlian, Bobby Simmons
    Houston Sends: Shane Battier, Rafer Alston

In this deal, not only does Milwaukee get the best perimeter defender outside of Artest, but they get a better backup point guard in the Sacramento deal. If I were the Bucks' GM, this would be the deal I would be pushing the most adamently, because I think Houston, who is actively shopping Rafer, would be intrigued by the possibility of improving their thinnest position with a player from Yao's country. Just imagine the media hype involving that a Yao-Yi frontcourt.

-----------------
    </div>

This was my favorite out of the scenarios. Shane Battier was perfect in Van Gundy's system, but I'm not sure how his game is going to translate under Rick Adelman. Most of Adelman's teams were run and gun, with an undersized lineup. Bobby Simmons was a decent defender when healthy, and with all the offensive players on Houston's roster, TMac can focus his efforts more on defense. He was a defensive force during his early years in Toronto.

Adding Yi would put the Rockets over the top in marketing revenue. It also gives them a young piece to potentially build around when Yao starts to decline and TMac's deal expires.

The Bucks add a model citizen to their roster in Shane Battier. He should fit right in with the team Larry K is trying to put together. The Bucks were terrible on defense last year, so adding Battier should upgrade them immediately.

They unload Simmons overpaid contract, and they get rid of the headache Yi's camp has caused them this offseason.

The Bucks could probably package Alston by midseason to a team like Miami for a draft pick or expiring contract.

PG - Mo Williams / Rafer Alston
    SG - Michael Redd / Charlie Bell
    SF - Shane Battier / Desmond Mason
    PF - Charlie Villanueva / David Noel
    C - Andrew Bogut / Jake Voskul / Dan Gadzuric

This is a solid and well-balanced lineup for the Bucks.

10. I-Miss-MJ

I-Miss-MJ JBB I am so SMRT

Jianlian for Noah please?

11. Whatthef?

Whatthef? Sactown Laker

millionaire
    [2) Milwaukee Sends: Yi Jianlian, Bobby Simmons, Dan Gadzuric
    Los Angeles Lakers Send: Lamar Odom, Sasha Vujacic
    On the surface level, it looks like the Lakers get raped in this deal, but Yi in the Los Angeles market would be huge from a financial point of view.</div>

Pull Odom and substitute Kwame(expiring contract for Milwaukee) or Radman(they don't have snowboarding in Milwaukee do they?) and you have a deal[​IMG]

12. Voodoo Child

<div class="quote_poster">Quote:</div><div class="quote_post">Jianlian for Noah please?</div>

I don't think anyone is interested in Noah, sans Chicago.

If they were to trade him for another rookie though, Thornton would make sense. They need a frontcourt player with versatility, and he brings them that. Los Angeles would love to get their hands on Yi from a media perspective too. I just wonder if they'd be willing to play him at the three.

To balance out the talent in the deal, they could also ship Milwaukee a future pick, with protections.

<div class="quote_poster">whatthef? Wrote</div><div class="quote_post">Pull Odolm and substitute Kwame(expiring contract for Milwaukee) or Radman(they don't have snowboarding in Milwaukee do they?) and you have a deal[​IMG]</div>

Then that deal just becomes lopsided in favor of Los Angeles though.

13. Whatthef?

Whatthef? Sactown Laker

millionaire
    <div class="quote_poster">Voodoo Child Wrote</div><div class="quote_post">
    Then that deal just becomes lopsided in favor of Los Angeles though.</div>

Right now Kwame or Radman are better players than Yi is. Yi would be a future project that the Lakers could afford to wait on. Yi would definitely not start over Walton, so why would they give up any more than Kwame or Radman.

14. XSV

XSV JBB The Virve Dynasty

^ And while their at it the Bucks can throw in Bogut and Redd for Walton and Shammond!!! OMG the Lakers will be like so good and Kobe will be happy and all will be well in LA!!!!

15. Shapecity

Shapecity S2/JBB Teamster Staff Member Administrator

<div class="quote_poster">XSV Wrote</div><div class="quote_post">^ And while their at it the Bucks can throw in Bogut and Redd for Walton and Shammond!!! OMG the Lakers will be like so good and Kobe will be happy and all will be well in LA!!!!</div>

I think Bogut would rather slit his wrists than play in LA.

16. bbwSwish

bbwSwish Harder. Better. Faster. Stronger.

I wouldn't trade Trevor Ariza for Yi Jianlian, nor would Otis Smith. Ariza is one of our young untouchables.

17. Voodoo Child

<div class="quote_poster">Swish Wrote</div><div class="quote_post">I wouldn't trade Trevor Ariza for Yi Jianlian, nor would Otis Smith. Ariza is one of our young untouchables.</div>

Not only would Otis Smith be an idiot for turning down that trade, but it would never be offered in the first place because the Bucks get raped in it.

I swear, this thread reeks of homerism. XSV for post of the year.

18. bbwSwish

Yi Jianlian hasn't played a single NBA game and he's already surrounded by controversy and problems. I'd take Trevor Ariza over him any day of the week. Ariza is very underrated and could be great someday.

19. Voodoo Child

<div class="quote_poster">Swish Wrote</div><div class="quote_post">Yi Jianlian hasn't played a single NBA game and he's already surrounded by controversy and problems. I'd take Trevor Ariza over him any day of the week. Ariza is very overrated and could be great someday.</div>

Greg Oden and Kevin Durant haven't played a single game either. Nor did Jordan, Bird, and Magic at one time. Everyone starts from somewhere. I don't get your point.

As for the controversy, it's all over the team that Yi's on, not Yi's off-the-court behavior or anything that would be detrimental to team chemistry.

I'll reiterate, this thread reeks of homerism.

Oh, and I agree with the part of your post I bolded, 100%.

20. bbwSwish

<div class="quote_poster">Voodoo Child Wrote</div><div class="quote_post">Oh, and I agree with the part of your post I bolded, 100%. I love Trevor.</div>

Yeah I see what you're saying. I don't know though, I doubt Yi's people want him in Orlando either.

And yeah, Trevor sure is great. At least we agree on something.